• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie Grow Photos....and many questions

Hi, ok, i have been meaning to post some photos up for a while now. So here we are, im a newbie growing in my Dads green house in Yorkshire, England. The weather has been reasonable. Its getting late on now in the season (i think), so im just wondering what to think about the chili`s, whether they will ripen, grow, fruit etc etc. I got most of the seedlings up in April.
Ill pop the photos up, then if any one can answer questions, id appreciate it greatly. All photos are no older than a week, apart from photo 1 (22nd June)

IMAG0898.jpg

IMAG1005.jpg

IMAG1007.jpg

IMAG1013.jpg

IMAG1037.jpg

IMAG1057.jpg

IMAG1060.jpg

IMAG1061.jpg

IMAG1056.jpg

IMAG1046.jpg

IMAG1051.jpg

IMAG1052.jpg

IMAG1053.jpg

IMAG1054.jpg

[/b]

So questions, if you don't mind :)
1> being so late on, is it wise to nip new leaves and buds from the plants to let the fruit develop. The photo 2+6 is a scotch bonnet. The fruit is small but the plant is still trying to grow like mad!

2> is there enough time left for the fruit to ripen in photo 2+6, and photo 3 (my only hab)

3> photo 4+5 is Hungarian hot wax. They are yellow, does that mean they are ripe or will the go red?

4>photo 7 + 12 is Thai chill apparently (is that a type of chilli or a generalized group name?), also the look really deformed, and the one in photo 12 seems to be growing at an alarming rate compared to the others.

5> Photo 8 + 9 are tabasco chilli, one is massive in height, has loads of flowers and a few fruits, is there time for all the flowers to produce? Also the other plant has fruit on which are a much paler green colour, verging on cream (though they were out of the same packet). Will these go red?

6> Strange leaf condition in photo 10, what is it? The plant is some random seeds from a dried chilli packet from the health food shop. The Tabasco plants have similar condition, but not as severe.

7> photo 13 is my Dads Cayenne plants, some of the fruit is ripened, should these be picked off to let the remaining fruit have a chance?

Anyhow I know that's a lot of questions, and im been greedy asking so much. But any help would be sweeeet!

Cheers
Tom

#1 if you have less than 4 weeks on the season I would give it a dose of fertilizer that is high in potassium and pull all existing flowers and any leaf over the size of 2" off the plant. This will allow the plant to focus all of it's energy toward the fruit that's about to ripen. You will end up with bigger and better fruit this way.

#2 you will need about 30-45 days

#3 it's up to you. I like to eat them yellow as they are fairly sweet, but if you want more heat pick when red

#4 Thai chili is a standard name and they look fine. They are good producers so that's normal to have a lot.

#5 I don't think you have time as in answer #1 pluck and focus on the fruit that is almost ripe

#6 not sure if it's a disease or aphids either way I would just terminate the plant at this point along with other infected leafs of other plants.

#7 pick it so the other fruit will ripen faster

Cheers guy! That was just the info i needed! Some serious attention needed at the weekend now then. Really hope the Hab plant turns out well, as i never tried one!

Next year I hope to plant the seeds earlier. Also might have a look into this over wintering malarky also.

cheers

#1 if you have less than 4 weeks on the season I would give it a dose of fertilizer that is high in potassium and pull all existing flowers and any leaf over the size of 2" off the plant. This will allow the plant to focus all of it's energy toward the fruit that's about to ripen. You will end up with bigger and better fruit this way.

#2 you will need about 30-45 days

#3 it's up to you. I like to eat them yellow as they are fairly sweet, but if you want more heat pick when red

#4 Thai chili is a standard name and they look fine. They are good producers so that's normal to have a lot.

#5 I don't think you have time as in answer #1 pluck and focus on the fruit that is almost ripe

#6 not sure if it's a disease or aphids either way I would just terminate the plant at this point along with other infected leafs of other plants.

#7 pick it so the other fruit will ripen faster

Listen to him…he is right on the mark!!

cheers!

Regarding the leaves. surely the plant will find it hard to photosynthesize if its missing its mature leaves? But please be aware i a`int got a clue about chili growing (or any growing for that matter!). I been doing it the other way round.

From what i've heard september is the month where the peppers in the UK reach their prime. Down here in the South of the UK the peppers will continue into late october and even early november.

Last year i was picking peppers of a (thai) Tounges of Fire plant in early november and this plant was located in a rather cool polly tunnel.

I also read somewhere recently that in the UK the best time to cut back the Chinense plants for overwintering is mid to late November.

I would just leave your plants as they are for now :)

cheers!

Regarding the leaves. surely the plant will find it hard to photosynthesize if its missing its mature leaves?

Actually you could pull every leaf off a plant and leave the flowers and fruit and the plant would be fine as it uses stems, branches, flowers, fruit to photosynthesize light. Plus there is a difference between "mature" leaves and "sucker" leaves. Mature leaves can be as small as 2"-3" in size and sucker leaves often get as large as 5" or more in size. The problem is even a plant given perfect growing conditions and fertilizers can only provide so much energy before it's reached it limits. Then you have to help the plant "focus" it's energy toward fruit by removing all sucker leafs.

You can read all about the process in an experiment i'm doing as we speak here CLICK HERE <~~~~~~~~~

Based on my test so far i'm almost at the point where I can pick close to 1/2 lb of ripe fruit every week without having a single leaf over 2" in size.

That stuff growing on your plants is a fungis not hard to get rid of, neem oil and Ivory soap will do the trick you may have to spray three to four times to get it all, good luck

Asuming photo 6 is Habs i would say they are about 7 - 10 days from ripening. I say this because the pods are a lighter/ paler shade of green, they go from dark green to pale green before turning orange.

Also i am finding that my first crop of habes on my plants where small peppers and now i'm starting to get some fairly big ones growing.

Cheers guys.

LGHT, I had a look at the experiment. Wow, its working a treat it seems, ill be having a pop at that over the weekend. Thank you.

HawaiiAl, cheers, the stuff on the leaves, definitely not any type of insect, some kind of growth, they have been suffering from it since seedling. Its strange as the Tabasco plants have it slightly and the unknown plants have it bad. These unknown plants are very much similar looking to the Tabasco (in height, leaves and fruit). The photo in question was a mess about plant, where i twisted two of those together to see what happens. Where the leaves get `wet` on top of each other the problem seems worse.

Scotchnaga85, cheers, yeah im hoping we get some more good days to help the fellas along. the photo 6 are scotch bonnets. photo 3 is my one and only hab plant.

Oh, had my first ever taste (nibble) at a bhut jolika (Tesco have just started stocking them). Jeeeeesuz christ, a little nibble did the trick. Only just made a big con carne last night. The Bhut Jolika now in the freezer until the next big chili con carne making session.

Hi,
Ok i done some heavy pruning to some plants, and it seems to be working well. And my Hab plant is ripening up. The Hot Wax are starting to turn now also.

Dont know if i went too heavy on this one?
IMAG1071.jpg

Tabasco all bottom leaves removed
IMAG1073.jpg

My best scotch bonnet plant, quite pleased with the size of pods, for a small plant in a small pot.
IMAG1100.jpg

Plants look good. I don't think you took too much off and you should start seeing an improvement in production. What is your fertilizing schedule like and what are you using? If you haven't given it any fert in the last month make sure you give it something with low on the Nitrogen side, but high on the Phosphorus side.

Cheers,

Im feeding every day with tomato food.
Have pruned the lot today as it seems to be working well on the scotch bonnets.

How comes the thai don't have any heat at all, is this normal?

Back