Newbie Seeking Help

Hello all!  This is my first post, so hopefully I am following the appropriate etiquette.  This is my first year attempting to grow peppers, and only my second year attempting any sort of gardening.  So far I am finding that it is easier to grow humans than peppers.  Long story short, I started several types of pepper plants in pots indoors.  We had a bit of a cold and wet spring here in Northern Colorado this year, so I wanted to wait until it warmed up and dried out before I transplanted them outdoors.  When I finally transplanted I put three plants in each of several plastic raised beds I got at Sam's.  The beds have drains in the bottom that I leave open.  All were about the same height, around 10 to 12 inches.  All of the plants seem to be doing well except for one anaheim.  It started to flower and fruit almost immediately after it went outside, and has produced several peppers.  But, the plant's growth stopped as soon as the fruit started, and now the poblano and serrano that share the bed tower over it.  Further, the peppers that the plant has produced now have black/brown spots and streaks all over them.  

I water all of them the same, and they all get the same sun exposure.  I basically make sure that the soil is moist all the way through, maybe 3 to 5 gallons per week per bed.  I think it translates to 1 to 2 inches of water per week.  I have not fertilized yet other than sprinkling some crushed eggshells on the soil beneath the mulch.  Should I have pinched off the first few flowers until the plant grew to be more substantial?  Is this blossom end rot?  What type of fertilizer is recommended?  Any tips or suggestions?  

As my wife has pointed out, I've spent a lot of money trying to grow one of the least expensive items at the supermarket, so I want to be successful.  Thank you in advance for your help! 

Ryan

20150710_121951_zpsivy1jq7e.jpg

20150710_114907_zps3daa2ltw.jpg

20150710_114858_zpszrexuyf8.jpg

Pick the pods. I am a new grower too. In May I had a Scorpion with 2 pods I left on. It had about two branches and ten leaves. It never grew. Picked them off finally and now it is a 2 foot bush. No pods yet but just started flowering and theres a good 14 flowers now.

pretty sure it isn't blossom end rot. go out with a flash light before you go to bed or before sun comes up in the morning. maybe snails or slugs? It also could be some other insect. That third pictures looks like i see buggies, maybe spider mites.

Thank you nattymari and chocolatescotchbonnet!  I'll pick the pods and see what happens, and try to catch insects in the act tonight.  Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Not 100% but it looks an awful lot like stinkbug damage to me ( the second picture especially), had a huge infestation of them and they just about destroyed my whole crop of peppers last year.

HELLO AND WELCOME.YOUR WIFE IS CORRECT ANAHEIMS ARE CHEAP.GREAT ADVICE GIVEN HERE THESE GUYS ARE FAST.GOOD LUCK ON YOUR GROW LOOKIN' SO FAR.GROWING PEPPERS I BELIEVE ISNT THAT DIFFICULT.ITS ALL THE INSECTS AND VARMINTS ADDED ALONG WITH MOTHER NATURE THAT MAKES IT DIFFICULT AND FRUSTRATING AT TIMES.HARVEST TIME IS THE REWARD...

Welcome, Ryan.  Colorado growing is erratic at best, though your plants look quite healthy.  Just be patient with your plants, and make sure there are no blossoms/peppers on the plants when they're planted in the ground or in pots.  This will help the plants establish roots, etc. before they're even thinking about producing fruit.

I don't know much about stink bugs as I've never seen any here, but with the wet weather, who knows?

Next year think about growing more expensive superhots that you can't find in the stores.  WalMart usually sells boxes of Anaheims in early August, for about $25.These are what I use for making pickled peppers.

Welcome to THP!

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome, advice, and support.  You've given me several ideas to try and things to look out for - very much appreciated!

Back