• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Next Season

twiasp said:

I have thought about Anaheims also, how is their productivity?  Any particular one to suggest that is mild jalapeno heat of the 2 you suggested or other?

Either one. Sofar my Big Jim Heritage is a little larger plant, pods are a bit larger and possibly more pods. Both are hot for Anaheims but i would not call them extra hots. My Sandias last year were really mild. I will have a better opinion later in the season. This is my first year for the Big Jim Heritage but sofar i like them.

you may find yourself able to tolerate alot of chinense by removing placenta and seeds
I'll vouch for the Aji Limo. I use them alot in cooking. Generally stripping out the seeds.
I've got a red and yellow variety now thanks to Dale and Terry.

Its got nothing to do with lemons, limes, aji lemons, lemondrops, or baccatums for that matter...
its Aji Limo as in Lima, Peru...and its chinense
very accessible heat for use in cooking a full size dish, or maybe mincing and sprinkling a bit over dinner raw

If you keep eating hot peppers I find that tolerance to heat builds quite quickly which allows you to sample Habanero level peppers quite easily. 

I remember when I first started dealing with Habaneros and thought they were very hot but now that I've been eating them consistently for year? They're mostly flavour for me now and the burn is a background thing that I enjoy. 

You're cutting your chinense pepper list pretty short if you don't want anything above 100K SHU.

Yeah, I've also noticed that it seems to be a comparative thing. That's what draws me to the world's hottest. When you experience something hotter than you've ever had, your mind is often overwhelmed and can't focus on the flavor. Once you can say "Well it's nowhere near as hot as a ____.." you can relax and enjoy the taste of the pepper.

Though I have a hard time imagining a pepper so hot that it makes the chocolate bhutlah seem fine to snack on.

Chocolate Bhutlah powder in a meal seems fine compared to cooking it with fresh Jigsaws. The same is probably true in reverse, though.

Are there mild versions of Manzano's? They seem thick walled but probably too high in scovilles for my taste buds.

Back