• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair

Been thinking about it.. pretty sure I'm growing peppers because I'm bored.  Like, deeply, existentially bored.  Plus, a little harmless pain never hurt anybody, right?  Hell, it's probably even good for you.  We'll see if those are good enough reasons, I guess.  I bought me some "Scotch Bonnet Orange" seeds from Amazon before I found you fine folk, lurked around here for a while, then planted them anyway along with other, infinitely less suspect seeds I ordered from far flung places around the globe(!) as recommended by the very venerable Vendor Vault.  I've got them growing here by my chair.  I sit here and read. (The wall to my right as I took this picture is lined with bookshelves I'm slowing filling as I try to forget the world each afternoon.  Mostly scifi the last few years.)  It would be distracting to have a big boxy tent looming over me, so I've just got them sitting there on a cardboard box.  I hope to replace the box with a little table here soon.
20190111_225735.jpg

My rig consists of something like a quarter of the full Amazon Indoor Garden of Tomorrow-orrow-orrow-orrow ®.  This LED light I got is something else, man.  It's REALLY bright!  Paper towel germination, used a few Jiffy pellets, stuck some seeds straight in some old Miracle Grow I had, kept them in the Jiffy box there until they sprouted.  I'm glad to be rid of that Jiffy dome now; it was a pain in the ass.  Ahh.. let's see.. I'm mixing CNS17 Grow into RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, pouring it over my little darlings there in about 3:1 coco:perlite.  Just culled and potted up today to 3.5 inches.  All seems to be going well except for some slight canoeing of leaves, which I'm ready to blame on the 24% humidity (We wake up half mummified in the winter.  I know - grow tent.) and a few early spills on my rug.  Trying to keep it simple and not drive myself crazier futzing with dozens of parameters here, so I'm not going to sweat it unless things turn worse.  I'm not!  Worry verges on religion with me, so this will either be therapeutic or turn out to have been a bad idea.. 
Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings! 
20190111_225625.jpg

The felled plant is a DouglahTX. I got two partially ripened pods off it when I found it on the ground. They're brown.
The other DouglahTX I've got is in a fabric pot on the deck. Its pods are turning a bright reddish orange.

What is a DouglahTX, anyway? I got the seeds as freebies. They're probably my most vigorous plants. Really a shame to have lost one.

On another note, we had a strong, unexpected thunderstorm last night. Everybody came through unscathed. Also, all rain cloaks had been removed and nobody's drowned!

duck.jpg

Uncle_Eccoli said:
What is a DouglahTX, anyway? I got the seeds as freebies.

Did you get the seeds from somebody in Texas?

If they were 7 Pot Douglah, they would ripen from green to dark brown,.

Glad the storm did no damage. We need some rain fairly badly. Three weeks without and my grass is feeling the pain.

Siv said:
Cut the bottom and a few leaves off the top and try propagating that vole damaged plant.

rickvm said:
Yes, definitely root some cuttings and clone it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh.  I thought about it, but I've got too many plants as it is.

DWB said:

Did you get the seeds from somebody in Texas?

If they were 7 Pot Douglah, they would ripen from green to dark brown,.

Glad the storm did no damage. We need some rain fairly badly. Three weeks without and my grass is feeling the pain.

Nope, I got them from WHP.  I assume it's a cross of 7 Pot Douglah and something, dunno what.

Man, we've been dry, too.  My poor lawn..  I think I'm going to have to renovate the western section this fall; the wiregrass is ascendant.

Your living room plant is a real beauty, Uncle E!
That is a great problem to have! Hope you find
an acceptable solution. I dont know what size
limits a pepper would have in your situation,
but I guess I am about to find out!

Sorry about your Douglah. That is why I grow
in containers.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
What is a DouglahTX, anyway? I got the seeds as freebies. They're probably my most vigorous plants. Really a shame to have lost one.

Apparently it's a DouglahT X, a cross between Douglah and ButchT.  http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/Douglah-T-X

Not supposed to be hot though, so you should probably just pop a whole one in your mouth and enjoy the sweet,albeit mild, flavor -  :twisted:

P. Dreadie, Lemon Drop, Freeport Orange
20190602-091234.jpg

Freeport Orange.  I should set something behind them for pictures..
20190602-091248.jpg

Morning sun
20190602-091318.jpg

Scotch bonnet
20190602-092205.jpg

Same Scotch bonnet seeds.  This is the vodka bottle plant.  I'll be taking down this cohort of pods soon, then I intend to thank him.  He's managed and produced for me, but he's never been super happy. 
Overall, I'm satisfied with the experiment.  The narrow neck of the bottle has been inconvenient.  I used a closed cell foam to secure the plant, so I had a length of rigid plastic drinking straw sharing the bottle neck with the stem of the plant to provide a vent and access port for siphoning in fresh nutrient solution.  "This worked, but was a pain," sums up the experience pretty well. 
20190602-091340.jpg

Somebody took a bite from my first Reaper pod!  Whatever it was spat it out - found it on the soil.  Looks like a squirrel bite to me.  I'm almost glad.  Serves you right you little bastard.
20190604-085643.jpg

Hey E, I don't know, but there are several things that make me concerned it could be leaf spot and I'd at least isolate for now and take steps to avoid cross-contamination until you know better.

I'm no expert in leaf spot so I could be off, but what raises some concern for me mostly is seeing some clustering areas of spotting at the margins and tips of at least one pic upper left in pic 1, the blackish irregular spottiness of the center leaf and center right leaf in pic 1, and your statement that some leaves are yellowing, as yellowing and dropping can happen as BLS progresses.  My understanding is that BLS shows more of a "speckling" appearance under drier conditions, which perhaps could apply in your case. The other thing I note is a lack of the interveinal and/or marginal chlorosis that often precedes spotting of leaves where spotting is the result of deficiency-based interveinal or marginal necrosis.  I also see that the lower left front leaf in pic 1 shows some necrosis that looks different, so perhaps a bigger view of other parts of the plant might shed more light on the overall condition(s).

Here's an article I saved on BLS that I think might be helpful.  I don't mean to cause alarm if there isn't cause, but if it were me I'd take some precautions at this point until I knew more.

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/bacterial-leaf-spot/

Back