• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair

Been thinking about it.. pretty sure I'm growing peppers because I'm bored.  Like, deeply, existentially bored.  Plus, a little harmless pain never hurt anybody, right?  Hell, it's probably even good for you.  We'll see if those are good enough reasons, I guess.  I bought me some "Scotch Bonnet Orange" seeds from Amazon before I found you fine folk, lurked around here for a while, then planted them anyway along with other, infinitely less suspect seeds I ordered from far flung places around the globe(!) as recommended by the very venerable Vendor Vault.  I've got them growing here by my chair.  I sit here and read. (The wall to my right as I took this picture is lined with bookshelves I'm slowing filling as I try to forget the world each afternoon.  Mostly scifi the last few years.)  It would be distracting to have a big boxy tent looming over me, so I've just got them sitting there on a cardboard box.  I hope to replace the box with a little table here soon.
20190111_225735.jpg

My rig consists of something like a quarter of the full Amazon Indoor Garden of Tomorrow-orrow-orrow-orrow ®.  This LED light I got is something else, man.  It's REALLY bright!  Paper towel germination, used a few Jiffy pellets, stuck some seeds straight in some old Miracle Grow I had, kept them in the Jiffy box there until they sprouted.  I'm glad to be rid of that Jiffy dome now; it was a pain in the ass.  Ahh.. let's see.. I'm mixing CNS17 Grow into RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, pouring it over my little darlings there in about 3:1 coco:perlite.  Just culled and potted up today to 3.5 inches.  All seems to be going well except for some slight canoeing of leaves, which I'm ready to blame on the 24% humidity (We wake up half mummified in the winter.  I know - grow tent.) and a few early spills on my rug.  Trying to keep it simple and not drive myself crazier futzing with dozens of parameters here, so I'm not going to sweat it unless things turn worse.  I'm not!  Worry verges on religion with me, so this will either be therapeutic or turn out to have been a bad idea.. 
Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings! 
20190111_225625.jpg

I've never had aphids but if it was me, I think I'd protect the area under the plant with plastic and towels and try spraying it with a strong mix of the Dr. Bronner's soap.

Either that or get some help and haul him outside.

There's no way I could get it outside without damaging it; it's just too big.

I'm waffling between mashing the aphids I can find until the ladybugs arrive (something like a week, ridiculous) and just cutting it down and being done with it.

It's been fun growing it this large, but it's starting to add unacceptably to my stress levels. Right now I feel like I'd do better to be done with it. How effective are the ladybugs likely to be, anyway?

I hear a lot about ladybugs and they're cool and fun and enjoy whoopin' aphids and all that, but they aren't going to eradicate aphids inside and they don't particularly like to stay put. That's been my experience anyway; having used them multiple times with mid-sized OW peppers in grow tents. I’ve used soap treatment effectively on plants indoors, but not a plant that big and bushy. I always spray them copiously with water then treatment in the shower.

An option would be a cut-back top and bottom.  Then maybe you could get it to the shower and spray it off with lukewarm water and treat it effectively with your castile. By cutting back the growth tips you eliminate the best spots for aphids to hide and survive treatments.  I’d probably bounce it outside at that point anyway though, give things a brief rest indoors to reduce risk of continued aphids, then start something new NTYC.

My $0.02.

Thanks, all.

I kept this guy going once he outgrew the bucket to see how much bigger he would get. This isn't the way I'd have chosen to come to it, but I have my answer: bigger than I can support.

I got a few pictures this morning, will post them later. I think I'll break it down this afternoon. How long should I wait to ensure the total death of all aphids in the room?

They should desiccate fairly quickly without any host plants. Watch out for any other house plants around. If you're starting from seed without any other plants around, I would think you probably needn't really wait at all, but a week or so might be safe. I'm guessing to an extent here, but I feel pretty confident they'll die quickly indoors without their veggie juice.

I moved a big 27 gallon tote outside once I used my brain!
- First take the plant out - lid and all - and prop it somewhere outside (I had another empty 27gal tote that I stuck her in)
- Then empty the tote with a gallon jug or bigger (I actually emptied it gallon by gallon into the second tote with the lid sideways to give access)
- Then set up the pumps etc or just leave them out (I left it kratky style)

I see no reason to kill the plant when moving it outside will let nature deal with it. If it dies, so be it, but at least it had a chance.

Siv said:
I moved a big 27 gallon tote outside once I used my brain!
- First take the plant out - lid and all - and prop it somewhere outside (I had another empty 27gal tote that I stuck her in)
- Then empty the tote with a gallon jug or bigger (I actually emptied it gallon by gallon into the second tote with the lid sideways to give access)
- Then set up the pumps etc or just leave them out (I left it kratky style)

I see no reason to kill the plant when moving it outside will let nature deal with it. If it dies, so be it, but at least it had a chance.

Even if I could manage to get it outside, I've got no place for it.  The deck is at capacity.  I'd weigh the plant if I had a scale; this thing is huge.

Alright I'm officially caught up! It took 2 visits and 2 weekends but I'm there! Lol. 

I don't even know where to start! Well first off, watching your confidence grow along with the plants throughout the glog has been a ton of fun. I remember growing my first year and freaking out about absolutely everything. The first 10 pages or so I could just picture you in a fetal position rocking back and forth in your chair obsessing over all the potential things you could be doing wrong or right  :lol:  Pretty cool that you just woke up one day and decided to grow peppers. I got started in that same kinda way... I had no interest in peppers or any gardening experience when I purchased my first plant, been history ever since!  I have a feeling this hobby will stick and you'll be doing it for years to come. Being its your first rodeo, I have to tell you that you're killin it! You should be proud of what you've accomplished already, your plants are absolutely beautiful and freaking huge already! I cannot imagine how big they're gonna be come Aug-September, it's gonna be insane! You are gonna run out of porch space I can guarantee it lol. Man, I am pretty bummed to hear about your chair freeport predicament, that plant has been your glog mascot up til this point! Not gonna lie I'm hoping you find an option that doesn't require the chainsaw  :pray: Nice work on all accounts Unc!! I'll be a following!

Aphids indoors are a major pita I think outside nature helps, but still a pain. I think everyone wants to see that plant live and produce, but it may not be meant to be. On your next plants keep an eye out because it seems like those stupid little guys remember the address and make returns when you think they are gone. Trying to lower the aphid count on the outside plants and bushes as well seems love a good idea because they come from somewhere.

BigCedar said:
Alright I'm officially caught up! It took 2 visits and 2 weekends but I'm there! Lol. 

I don't even know where to start! Well first off, watching your confidence grow along with the plants throughout the glog has been a ton of fun. I remember growing my first year and freaking out about absolutely everything. The first 10 pages or so I could just picture you in a fetal position rocking back and forth in your chair obsessing over all the potential things you could be doing wrong or right  :lol:  Pretty cool that you just woke up one day and decided to grow peppers. I got started in that same kinda way... I had no interest in peppers or any gardening experience when I purchased my first plant, been history ever since!  I have a feeling this hobby will stick and you'll be doing it for years to come. Being its your first rodeo, I have to tell you that you're killin it! You should be proud of what you've accomplished already, your plants are absolutely beautiful and freaking huge already! I cannot imagine how big they're gonna be come Aug-September, it's gonna be insane! You are gonna run out of porch space I can guarantee it lol. Man, I am pretty bummed to hear about your chair freeport predicament, that plant has been your glog mascot up til this point! Not gonna lie I'm hoping you find an option that doesn't require the chainsaw  :pray: Nice work on all accounts Unc!! I'll be a following!

Man..  I hardly know what to say.  It's very cool of you to devote your time and take such an interest in a flailing tyro like me.  I know you really read deep, too, because I so was rocking in my chair like a caged chimp there for a while, LOL.  Thanks so much; I really appreciate your praise. 

All of you guys - you know who you are - have played such a huge role in whatever success I've had with this.  A thousand gratitudes to each of you for all your kind words, support, and encouragement.

I'll give a nod to the boss, too, while I'm schmaltzing.  THP, I've been involved in various hobbies and participated in the popular online forums associated with them, and, while I'm sure you know this, this place is special.  You're the man. 

DWB said:
Hey Unc, look at the fathers day present I received to use in my garden. Now I have giant pepper plants next to my chair ;)

g5L5mLJ.jpg

Sweet!  I'd have to wait for the fall to read there, though.

Wish I could get multi-quote to work on my phone..  There's no giant plant next to my chair anymore..

Mr.joe said:
Aphids indoors are a major pita I think outside nature helps, but still a pain. I think everyone wants to see that plant live and produce, but it may not be meant to be. On your next plants keep an eye out because it seems like those stupid little guys remember the address and make returns when you think they are gone. Trying to lower the aphid count on the outside plants and bushes as well seems love a good idea because they come from somewhere.

I'm counting on nature to correct the problem for me..

I think I'll call it Siv's Plant now.  Thanks for being gentle, Siv.
Thanks to everybody for the advice and suggestions. 
20190615-144423.jpg

I just planted it in the fuckin' lawn, lol.  It's at the east side of the house, so morning sun. Got him in there just after the shade came around.  90° tomorrow.  *Fingers crossed*

Uncle_Eccoli said:
I think I'll call it Siv's Plant now.  Thanks for being gentle, Siv.
Thanks to everybody for the advice and suggestions. 

I just planted it in the fuckin' lawn, lol.  It's at the east side of the house, so morning sun. Got him in there just after the shade came around.  90° tomorrow.  *Fingers crossed*

Good. I was afraid he was a goner.

I just wanted to share my gift with you, recognize the tradition you've shared with us over the past many months and hopefully put a smile on your face. I actually put my chair here in a place that goes into deep shade around noon.
5gVo7Py.jpg

Back