• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nice homecoming

Was up in Boston for the last 4 days, and came home to
my biggest harvest yet.

As always, Naga Morich and Caribbean Red's.

Couple of the Naga's are a tad underdone, but a day or two from now they will be 100%

The good news is that ALL these pods came ripe while the plants were under a ton of stress.
They had just come inside and went into a much hotter environment with totally inadequate light.
Leaves were all turning yellow and dropping while the plants tried to get out new leaves and stem to
try and maximize their light. It wasnt enough. They almost bought the farm before I added a 400 Watt
HPS lamp and its 55,000 lumens. They are recovering now but they all lost a lot of leaves
and every pod on all 4 plants all turned ripe at once. I think they were desperately
trying to make sure they could reproduce.

Anyway, long story short, I expect this batch of pods to be extra hot...

Harvest5.jpg

BigDogDaddy said:
so what exactly do you do with all that heat amigo?:hell:

Sauce :)

I have a couple recipes of my own and a whole bunch of hot sauce fans clamoring for it.
My son is a Marine currently deployed to Iraq. I send it to him as well. He and a bunch of his
comrades in arms are big fans of the Habanero sauce.

Never figured Id get a fan base in the middle east :hell:

Also, some of this batch will get dehydrated and ground into powder

nice bunch of heat there my friend....

I spent 12 years ...the best years of my life....in The US Army. It was always fun to try out the different hot sauces on our fellow buddies...to see if they can handle it. My worst enemy in Bosnia....in 1996....was endorphin rush hot sauce....took my breath away. Now 12 years later...I can put that same sauce on my lunch and not even flinch....ah what a few years will do huh??

Bless you and your family and thanks for sharin!!:hell::hell:

BigDogDaddy:mouthonfire:

Skyjerk said:

I have a couple recipes of my own and a whole bunch of hot sauce fans clamoring for it.
My son is a Marine currently deployed to Iraq. I send it to him as well. He and a bunch of his

Would you mind sharing your Hab sauce recipe?

skealo said:
Would you mind sharing your Hab sauce recipe?

No problemo

3 pints (tightly packed) of Caribbean Reds
1 cup chopped fresh carrots
6 large cloves fresh garlic
1/2 large red onion
20 oz can of Dole pineapple in juice (not syrup)
3 quarts white vinegar

pre-cook carrots in microwave 3 minutes then add into sauce pan with all other ingredients (including the juice from the pineapple) except the vinegar.
Simmer just until peppers start to get soft. Do NOT cook the shit out of it.

Puree all ingreients in food processor with 1/2 cup of the vinegar until totally smooth. Mix with the rest of the vinegar and bottle it.

Makes about 3 1/2 quarts. The PH of this sauce (assuming you follow the recipe exactly) is 3.4
so no preservatives are necessary.

This sauce is more than hot enough for most people, assuming you used Caribbean Reds.

Hey Sky....send them soldiers plenty of hot sauce....it's about the only thing that will tune up a MRE to taste proper!:hell:

Skyjerk said:

BigDogDaddy said:
Hey Sky....send them soldiers plenty of hot sauce....it's about the only thing that will tune up a MRE to taste proper!:hell:

Will do. I'm whipping up a whole gallon tonite.

Its on the stove as I type this. I'm documenting the process with pics and I'm gonna put a step-by-step on my wiki page when I'm done.

Might help out some that have never tried to make a sauce before...

Course MRE's dont taste quite as bad as they did when I was in.

Yea I have never made sauce myself and would be interested. I assume you will indicate what you put the sauce in and how to prep those containers?

Skyjerk said:
You have become corn-fused, my friend.

Its not BDD's thread. :)

Confused is my middle name...:oops:

Don't know what happened their???

Sorry Skyway, eeerrrr I mean jerkman,,,uummm.....oh bloody hell....:P:lol:

Josh said:
Yea I have never made sauce myself and would be interested. I assume you will indicate what you put the sauce in and how to prep those containers?

I'm guessing you are referring to special bottling techniques.

I wont be able to help you with that. My sauce has a pH of 3.4
therefore needs no special bottling methods or preservatives to keep bacteria out.

Skyjerk said:
I'm guessing you are referring to special bottling techniques.

I wont be able to help you with that. My sauce has a pH of 3.4
therefore needs no special bottling methods or preservatives to keep bacteria out.
So you don't have to boil a jar or old sauce bottle? You can just wash it thoroughly or in a dish washer and put the sauce in it?

Josh said:
So you don't have to boil a jar or old sauce bottle? You can just wash it thoroughly or in a dish washer and put the sauce in it?

Yup.

This would not be the case with a sauce that had a higher pH.
Anything lower than 4 is good, and this stuff is 3.4, once again assuming you follow the recipe.

3.4 is too acidic for anaerobic bacteria like Clostridium botulinum.
Preventing bacteria like these is the reason for all the sterilization procedures, but are only necessary if the pH is 4 or higher

Back