• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Nirvana inducted?

meinchoh said:
It's their party and they can invite who they want  :)
True but I think they used to be more discerning. I hear many people complain about the whole thing as you alluded to.
Look how long it took to induct Rush! That is pathetic! :rolleyes:

I was about 16 or 17 when when they hit. we listened to them a little id say, nothing crazy. I think we were all just happy that some rock was back, good rock or bad rock.

Metallica died (in case we are on different pages the black album never happened)

Guns and roses went crazy….

it was bad...

That being said i don't know anybody that can listen to teen spirit

there is nothing wrong with simple music that you don't have to be a virtuoso to play- that lies much closer to the roots of rock n roll than self-indulgent uber-precise noodling. (yes i'm talking about Rush- who I do like a bit). KISS was overdue to be in the hall of fame.

You may like them or not but they definitely belong to the music history.
They invented a genre and put to music the feelings of a generation (well before the mainstream success).
Cya

Datil

PrimeTime said:
For saving music probably. Thats the only reason bands like poison and such went away!
Truer words have never been typed. Include White Lion please.

Proud Marine Dad said:
 You hit the nail on the head my friend. I didn't have a KISS Army card but every wall of my bedroom was covered in KISS posters and I mean COVERED!
My buddy Mark who was our drummer had more than me. I think he had something like 42 KISS posters. :cool:
I grew up during the peak of bands like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Thin Lizzy, KISS, Journey, Blue Oyster Cult, Lynyrd Skynyrd, UFO, Rush, etc. etc.
Now those were bands with talent! :P

Damn you're old. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I'm of the Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer generation. All the rest of your bands are either too old or too new. :D

first off nirvana is NOT inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame.
they're nominated just like the rest of the bands/people, doesn't mean they're getting into the hall of fame!

as for nirvana being the greatest band :rofl:  :rolleyes:  NO!!!
were they a good band & had a big part in music for their time period YES!
nirvana is only being nominated right now cuz of a single they made that is 25 yrs old, which is the first thing is required for being nominated into rock n roll hall of fame....1st single or album that's at least was made/sold 25 yrs old.

though KISS should get in before nirvana since KISS has played a big part in rock n roll history vs some of the other nominations.

It seems to me that every generation thinks "their" music is the greatest and everything afterward is crap.  I have been told that when my parents were kids that old-timers said Elvis was crap.  

JayT said:
It seems to me that every generation thinks "their" music is the greatest and everything afterward is crap.  I have been told that when my parents were kids that old-timers said Elvis was crap.  

Elvis is great to listen to every now & then, being a kid growing up with a mom liking elvis kinda hard not to have an ear for elvis music, though that polka she played sorry not gonna listen to that crap !  :lol:
then ya got that holiday music, you know that old stuff or the corny stuff. still have an ear for that for a short time.
some people are confused how I could listen to a wide range of music, hey if its good for their type of music or I like the sound...I'll listen to it.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Not in this case Jay as I like several "newer" bands than my generation.

+1000. There are several new bands that I really enjoy listening to. I've even recently bought a few new albums. I don't think I have done that in years.

Just for the record PMD, I'm glad that the grunge rock phase has passed too. I never could get into it.

JayT said:
They personally launched a new genre of music.  Definitely deserving.
They done no such thing.  They may have gotten the most lime light at the time but they were far from being the ones to launch it.  I never was a huge fan of Nirvana but they had some good music.  Many other Seattle grunge bands were far better. 
Datil said:
You may like them or not but they definitely belong to the music history.
They invented a genre and put to music the feelings of a generation (well before the mainstream success).
Cya

Datil
There weren't even together when grunge was created haha

Nerdvana before Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple etc. etc...?!?

This is why they are clueless.

I am sure someone will mention they are not really "rock & roll", but really how "rock & roll" are Run DMC, Public Enemy, and Linda Ronstadt?

This is why I put no faith in the "Rock & Roll" Hall of Shame.

Proud Marine Dad said:
No, I was just naming a small portion of the bands I saw back then. KISS is being inducted next year as well and I don't agree with that either.

So who are some bands that you think should be inducted instead? I'm a classic rock fan as well and I don't care for Nirvana or KISS for that matter, but I do see why they are being inducted.. 

Back