• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat NMSU prof finds world's hottest chile

Ok, this is stupid. The Naga (which until the testing is done to confirm this) is the same thing as the Bhut. Recent "official" tests were done finding it to be somewhere (I can't remember the exact number) to be 1.5 million SHU. Now this guy has the record.....stupid. And no way did this guy "discover" the pepepr.

Stupid indeed. If it(Bhut) is native to India wouldn't someone there have "discovered" it first. You can't blame Dr. Bosland but Guinness is becoming a joke.

I find the whole hottest chile debate very amusing.

Who cares if its the Naga morich / Bih or Bhut Jolokia. At this heat level does it really matter for the sake of a bit of paper.

Maybe we should get our Naga Morich tested ('discovered' and seeds distribute by thechileman & Nagaseeds) -ha ha ha.

I have at least 2 other varieties in the closet which will give the Bhut a run for its money in 2008.

PS It was nice to see the Big Jim also get a special mention. Its a shame they are no longer going to be the record holder for the worlds largest pepper after this years growing competition - surely one of our 160 competitors will beat it.

With peppers that hot, what good are they? Sure by grinding them up and making pepper spray you can use them for teaching the dumbest dog to play dead and keep the next door neighbors kids in their own gawd danged back yard, but what then?

texas blues said:
With peppers that hot, what good are they? Sure by grinding them up and making pepper spray you can use them for teaching the dumbest dog to play dead and keep the next door neighbors kids in their own gawd danged back yard, but what then?

What good are they? ;)
Simply put, less would be needed to make sauces hotter and food manufacturers would save money on creating hot sauces, which in turn would save the consumer money. :P
That's the whole point of engineering/sourcing hotter peppers.
Just because the pepper is 1 million + Scovilles, doesn't mean it has to be used in it's full effect, it can be diluted or used in moderation with other ingredients and still retain it's fire power, although muted by the other flavours.
I don't think it should be consumed directly off the plant, but I'm sure there will be those that feel they need to eat one just to say they've done it. I'm sure they'll video tape and photograph the event as well, and probably post it on YouTube. To me it's just for infantile bragging rights and for the most part, a feeble attempt at grabbing people's attention. I mean seriously who cares if you can eat a Ghost Pepper off the vine?
For what? So people can say "dude, you're crazy"? :rolleyes: I don't feel it's worth the associated aftermath on your digestive system.
Mind you, unless grown and consumed in a controlled environment, we'll just have to take their "word" for it that they are actually eating the peppers they claim to be eating and that it's actually legit.
Everyone knows that growing conditions, soil, atmosphere, etc. have a substantial effect on how peppers mature and how true their heat performance rates against clinical results.
You'll notice most of these new claims of "The World's Hottest Pepper" come from Professor of BlahBLahBlah University because they are growing these peppers under perfect clinical conditions. The Nagas and Bhuts I've started aren't going to perform as well as Professor PoopyPants' crop will. They will however give me an insight into the flavour and practical use of the peppers. Time will tell. :hell:
I've tried clinical grade pure Capsaicin crystal (16M SHU+) before (idiot, I know), and the experience f*ckin' near killed me. My respiratory system shut down and I thought I saw my long dead Grandfather guiding me toward a bright white light, turns out it was the overhead light in the ER. I had several horrible side effects and spent time in the hospital, so I know of which I speak.

I spend hundreds of man hours making fiery foods products, it's how I make a living. I take great pride in making sure my sauces are flavourful and memorable. This Bhut and Naga are very valuable tools to any makers arsenal because of their financial and culinary benefits.
That's my 2 cents.

imaguitargod said:
Wow, nicely written, Uncle Big.
Thanks, and you know what guitargod, I've never even seen your posting about eating the Naga until now. I wasn't referring to your directly in my post.;)
I started my response to the "what's the point" question in between helping customers and after posting and the page refresh I see your link.
Don't take this as a shot at you man,I didn't post my response to start any sh*t with you.
My apologies if it looks like I was. I've already stirred enough controversy this week elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Uncle Big said:
Thanks, and you know what guitargod, I've never even sen your posting about eating the Naga until now. I wasn't referring to you directly in my post.;)
I started my response to the "what's the point" question in between helping customers and after posting and the page refresh I see your link.
Don't take this as a shot at you man,I didn't post my response to start any sh*t with you.
My apologies if it looks like I was. I've already stirred enough controversy this week elsewhere. :rolleyes:
It's ok dude. I had a feeling you didn't see that post :P . Be sure to post something in that thread as to what you thought of the pics though :hell:

imaguitargod said:
It's ok dude. I had a feeling you didn't see that post ;) . Be sure to post something in that thread as to what you thought of the pics though :rolleyes:

Been there, done that.
I posted an interior of the Naga that I shot, among other things. Hee hee.

Uncle Big, thanks for the insight. I didn't feel at all that your post in response to my question of "what then?" was at all objectionable. I found your opinion informatinve and straight forward. In this world of PC correct, it's nice to find folks willing to call a spade a spade. I had never thought of the commercial viability of such hot peppers as the naga being used for sauces but your explanation sure 'splains the rational for doing so. Nice going.

Ahh yes! The Naga saga. This claim is only the tip of the iceberg in regards to the discovery and heat level of this particular pepper. Very interesting topic.

texas blues said:
Uncle Big, thanks for the insight. I didn't feel at all that your post in response to my question of "what then?" was at all objectionable. I found your opinion informatinve and straight forward. In this world of PC correct, it's nice to find folks willing to call a spade a spade. I had never thought of the commercial viability of such hot peppers as the naga being used for sauces but your explanation sure 'splains the rational for doing so. Nice going.

Texas Blues,
I'm glad you found my ramblings informative and straight forward.
The super hots are a very useful and necessary tool in any manufacturer's/amateur sauce maker's arsenal. In that regard, the hotter the better.
On the other hand, these can be dangerous in the hands of little dipsh*ts that use peppers and super hot sauces to punish others.
I'm just little bitter about the morons that you see on YouTube that take the fruit of our labors and turn it into something dangerous, just for the sake of being stupid.
To be more pointed to my aforementioned comments, ImaGuitarGod knows how to handle peppers (he grows his own) and sauces properly and with the respect they deserve and I had no intent of lumping him in with the idiot factor that causes me such great annoyance. ;)
Considering my Uncle Big's Killer Hot Sauce has been used in this fashion (500+ SHU), I take it to heart, including having to get lawyers to create waivers and such just to sell my product.
This is the type sh*t that keeps me up at night. :rolleyes:
Thanks again.

I think you all full of *hit..!!!! :rolleyes:
what is all this hipe about the hottest pepper on hearth....
make a sauce ....THEN you all can say I HAVE the hottest sauce around....NOT EXTRACT...just peppers...we will be waiting..;)

marcosauces said:
I think you all full of *hit..!!!! :)
what is all this hipe about the hottest pepper on hearth....
make a sauce ....THEN you all can say I HAVE the hottest sauce around....NOT EXTRACT...just peppers...we will be waiting..

Marco, what in the hell are you talking about?? :P
That's a spicy meatball?? Try typing without the Italian accent this time :lol:
And you're full of sh*t!! :)
I need to get in touch with you about ordering salsa, yes?
Manga, manga!!

Uncle Big said:
What good are they? :lol:
Simply put, less would be needed to make sauces hotter and food manufacturers would save money on creating hot sauces, which in turn would save the consumer money. :)
That's the whole point of engineering/sourcing hotter peppers.
Just because the pepper is 1 million + Scovilles, doesn't mean it has to be used in it's full effect, it can be diluted or used in moderation with other ingredients and still retain it's fire power, although muted by the other flavours.
I don't think it should be consumed directly off the plant, but I'm sure there will be those that feel they need to eat one just to say they've done it. I'm sure they'll video tape and photograph the event as well, and probably post it on YouTube. To me it's just for infantile bragging rights and for the most part, a feeble attempt at grabbing people's attention. I mean seriously who cares if you can eat a Ghost Pepper off the vine?
For what? So people can say "dude, you're crazy"? :) I don't feel it's worth the associated aftermath on your digestive system.
Mind you, unless grown and consumed in a controlled environment, we'll just have to take their "word" for it that they are actually eating the peppers they claim to be eating and that it's actually legit.
Everyone knows that growing conditions, soil, atmosphere, etc. have a substantial effect on how peppers mature and how true their heat performance rates against clinical results.
You'll notice most of these new claims of "The World's Hottest Pepper" come from Professor of BlahBLahBlah University because they are growing these peppers under perfect clinical conditions. The Nagas and Bhuts I've started aren't going to perform as well as Professor PoopyPants' crop will. They will however give me an insight into the flavour and practical use of the peppers. Time will tell. :P
I've tried clinical grade pure Capsaicin crystal (16M SHU+) before (idiot, I know), and the experience f*ckin' near killed me. My respiratory system shut down and I thought I saw my long dead Grandfather guiding me toward a bright white light, turns out it was the overhead light in the ER. I had several horrible side effects and spent time in the hospital, so I know of which I speak.

I spend hundreds of man hours making fiery foods products, it's how I make a living. I take great pride in making sure my sauces are flavourful and memorable. This Bhut and Naga are very valuable tools to any makers arsenal because of their financial and culinary benefits.
That's my 2 cents.

Well said UncleBig....

Uncle Big said:
Marco, what in the hell are you talking about??
That's a spicy meatball?? Try typing without the Italian accent this time
And you're full of sh*t!!
I need to get in touch with you about ordering salsa, yes?
Manga, manga!!

Haha....i might just try to make a spicy meatball...naga meatball..?? :)
BTW i totally agree on what you said there Big and what i am tired of reading is that just because this pepper is the "hottest" does not mean people can make a good hot sauce with it, Hot for sure but flavorful..?? thats why i am waiting for someone to make a sauce with it, then..judging day...:P
Yes Big, salsa time..:) actually at the 12th of next month the red savina salsa coming out, i will give you a call.
Italian accent....can never go away :lol:

[quote name='Cap'n Bones']Ahh yes! The Naga saga. This claim is only the tip of the iceberg in regards to the discovery and heat level of this particular pepper. Very interesting topic.[/QUOTE]

Message I sent to Frontal Agritech:

Your Guinness World Record has been stolen by an opportunist. If I were you i'd be doing something about that.

Their response:

Frontal AgriTech wrote:

Thanks for your concern. I have seen that he is also selling the seeds at extremely high price.
We are taking up the matter.
Thanks again

Leena

The plot thickens! :P

:P :) :hell:
Heres a good article from Harold Zoschke, Dave DeWitt and Dr. Paul Bosland.
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/sagajolokia.asp

Saga Jolokia - Searching for the new "World's Hottest Chile"

By Harald Zoschke, with input from Dr. Paul Bosland and Dave DeWitt

Posted November 17, 2006

It's been more than five years that an Indian "Mystery Chile" was making headlines, and claims for such a "new" variety were published in print, and all over the Internet. With almost one million Scoville Units, it was supposed to be several times hotter than the Red Savina™, the current holder of that title in the Guinness World Records. Time and again the hot pod popped up in the news, yet no one in the Western world had seen it. That has changed recently, as new claims for such a potent pepper came from the UK, and also from the renowned Chile Pepper Institute of the New Mexico State University.

First Sightings
In September 2000, we got hold of a newspaper clipping from the International Herald Tribune. Headlined "Assam Chile named Hottest in the World", AP had a brief story about a chile pepper variety grown in the northeastern hills of Assam, India. With 855,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), it would outperform the Red Savina's much-quoted (and never duplicated) heat level of 577,000 SHU. The source given for that newsbyte was S.C. Dass, deputy director of the Defense Research Laboratory in the Assamese town of Tezpur.

At that time, the ‘Naga Jolokia’, also named the ‘Tezpur’ in some reports, was said to be a member of Capsicum frutescens, the same species as the ‘Tabasco’ chile, while the blistering hot ‘Red Savina’ is a Capsicum chinense. And this statement from the Indian researchers alerted Frank Garcia of GNS Spices, the Californian developer and grower of the ‘Red Savina’, listed so far as the world's hottest pepper in the Guinness World Records. Regular red and orange habaneros are typically in the 150,000 to 300,000 ballpark.

"It would be highly unusual for a frutescens to be that hot," Garcia said in an interview with fiery-foods.com. With some Savina record challengers, Garcia also questioned the reliability of the test results: "In some cases labs have discovered that the challengers’ samples have been adulterated with oleoresin," the extremely hot capsaicin extract, thus disqualifying them. "But anything’s possible," he said of the ‘Naga Jolokia’, "so, bring it on and let’s get some American laboratories to test samples of both the Indian chile and the ‘Red Savina’ and see which is the hottest."

Response by the Chile Pepper Institute and by Dave DeWitt
As Dave noted back then, the report was interesting for the lack of detail of the methodology used to calculate Scoville Units through HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography). He asked Dr. Paul Bosland, the noted chile breeder at New Mexico State University to read the report in "Current Science" and to give us an opinion. Dr. Bosland pointed out that while the HPLC should be calibrated first by using a known concentration of capsaicin solution, there was no mention of such a procedure. This alone could account for measuring 100,000 SHU too much. He also questioned the preparation of the chiles -- did they weigh the chile sample before extracting? Were the seeds, pericarp, and placenta ground together, or did they just pick the hot parts?

In light of Dr. Bosland’s skepticism, Dave repeated his challenge to the Indian scientists, Ritesh Mathur, R.S. Dangi. S.C. Dass, and R.C. Malhotra of the Defence Research Laboratory in Gwalior, India, to send him samples of the ‘Tezpur’ pods for testing by two U.S. labs -- the one at New Mexico State University, and one at Analytical Food Laboratories. Frank Garcia agreed to provide his samples for a "hottest chile test-off." Dave also emailed this challenge to the Indian scientists -- in vain, though.

It should be mentioned that to date, there seems to be no evidence that anyone ever came close to duplicating the 577,000 SHU result published by Garcia for his Red Savina. In fact, typical heat results for Red Savina are more in the 250,000 SHU range - see also Heat Levels Reported as well as The The Australian Chile Test. In fact, Red Savina's heat is often topped by Chocolate Habanero, and we haven't even tested the blistering hot Central African Fatalii yet...

Over the past years, several chile varieties surfaced and claimed to be the famous ‘Naga Jolokia’, or ‘Tezpur’ pepper, including Indian PC-1 . This slim red pepper, a member of the Capsicum frutescens species, tasted more like Cayenne, and similar to it, the pepper scored only five-digit Scoville results. No wonder we suspected rather soon that this kind of pepper was no challenge to Frank Garcia's Red Savina, belonging to Capsicum chinense, just like Habanero and other six-digit heat Scoville power-packs.

A first clue that the infamous ‘Naga Jolokia’ had to be a chinense member, too, came in 2003. For a special issue on international chile peppers that Dave contributed to, the Japanese magazine, Paper Sky, sent a reporter all the way to Tezpur, to check out the claim about this pepper. The reporter, Graham Simmons, soon discovered that the chile was named after the ferocious Naga warriors, who once inhabited Nagaland in Assam, one of India’s most fertile regions. Accompanying the article was a photo of a rather dried out plant that still had some orange-red pods on it. The pods were clearly Capsicum chinense, the species containing the habaneros. So at least the species mystery was solved -- but what about that HPLC test? Unfortunately, Simmons did not speak directly to the Indian scientists, and even if he did, it would be too much to hope that he quizzed them about their testing methodology.

More proof that Naga Jolokia was most likely a chinense chile came from a 2004 fiery-foods.com reader. He reported that they had a lot of curry houses in Japan, and they would make some extremely spicy dishes, many with Indian Tezpur. Some of these restaurants even have jars of whole Indian Tezpurs sitting on shelves, he went on, looking much like a Caribbean Habanero, just a little bigger.

Back