• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds No Dehydrator For Saving Seeds!

If you are planning to keep seeds from pods, I advise that you do not dry the pods in your dehydrator. First, the seeds can't take the heat if you happen to use the heating function. And even without the heating function turned on, the quick drying of a dehydrator just isn't good for the seeds and future germination will be a small fraction of the germination rate if you dry the pods naturally. My method is to slit the pods with a razor knife, string them with a needle and thread, then hang indoors for a few months. Germination on the seeds I dry this way is excellent and they will remain viable for years.

Good Luck!

Big Mike

I just remove the seeds and left them in an open container on my desk.

I'll let you know if it works (non pepper seeds).  :party:

I have forever just put them on a piece of paper towel for a couple days and thats it....then into a small seed envelope and store in a dry place....never had an issue.

I place a paper towel or napkin in a bowl and label the seeds. Then I put them on the table outdoors on the patio for a week. Never had any problems found it this way.

A true master folds steel by hand, over and over. Whereas, a mold turns blades by the dozens. If they were to cross, the victor would be clear.

mrgrowguy said:
A true master folds steel by hand, over and over. Whereas, a mold turns blades by the dozens. If they were to cross, the victor would be clear.
Soooo the better way is to keep folding my seeds even though I'll get dozens if I let them get moldy?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry couldn't help myself

Hawaiianero said:
Soooo the better way is to keep folding my seeds even though I'll get dozens if I let them get moldy?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry couldn't help myself

I can be at peace, knowing at least one understands.

Big Mike said:
The paper plate approach sounds neat and effective!

Big Mike

That's the way I do it

I turn my dehydrator down to 95F.  After drying you can just crack them in a bag with your hand and sift out the seeds.  Never had a germination problem this way.  They absolutely cannot take the heat of non temp controlled dehydrators which normally operate around 140F.

millworkman said:
I turn my dehydrator down to 95F.  After drying you can just crack them in a bag with your hand and sift out the seeds.  Never had a germination problem this way.  They absolutely cannot take the heat of non temp controlled dehydrators which normally operate around 140F.
Agreed, I have used many seeds from dehydrated pods with 0 issue. Temp control is the key.

Put them on a plate for me, either just the seeds or the whole cut of top pealing of any flesh. Guessing though what kind of humidity your living in. Ive taken seeds from pods that were dehydrated but I always go for around 115f and they have been viable.

_3085460_TinkerBellSeeds-1000_zpstqsxfi5h.jpg

Now that I think about it, I actually have used seeds from 3 different methods and have yet to see any issues. I ran a bunch of scorpions through the dehydrator and used those seeds this year... I totally forgot that's where they came from. But looking back, I actually had really good germination rates (90% - only one of ten didn't germ). As for the dehydrator temp, it was on low, but I wasn't worrying about it specifically at the time. The other two ways I germed seeds from this year was by drying out on the paper plate, and the other was from letting the pods dry on-the-plant. All of which turned out (maybe a fluke or anomaly that they were all the same) to have similarly spectacular germination percentages. I think the paper plate ones had the worse percentage, but that is simply because they were sitting on that same paper plate for a year, on top of the fridge in the open air, lol.

I don't claim for one method to be better or guarantee similar results for others, but this is my experience. Take it or leave it, it happened.

Back