• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

No, i am not going to take my own life... but...

Found out I likely qualify for medical benefits from the VA. I called and not two minutes into the conversation the person on the phone asks me if I am thinking about taking my own life.  I say no.  A few minutes later, she asks me if I am planning on taking my own life.  We got off the telephone with her telling me someone else would call.  Someone else called, second or third question was if I am planning on taking my own life.  After that telephone call I had an appointment to talk to someone in person.

I had that meeting.  About the third question was am I thinking about taking my own life.  This time I was ready for the question:

I wasn't, but if you think it is a viable option we can discuss it.

Complete silence for at least a few seconds till burst out laughing.  She then informed me this is not a silly subject.  Now I am left wondering why it is that it seems everyone who works for the VA is a female between the ages of 20 and 30 with no sense of humor.

ajdrew said:
I wasn't, but if you think it is a viable option we can discuss it.

Complete silence for at least a few seconds till burst out laughing.  She then informed me this is not a silly subject.  Now I am left wondering why it is that it seems everyone who works for the VA is a female between the ages of 20 and 30 with no sense of humor.

lol, that right there is funny

i wonder why no one believes you? and feel a little better about it myself

Heckle, I think maybe vet suicide is now so very high that they suspect it at every turn.  That or they figure with a face like mine....

Oldsalty, nope.  Too much to do.  Seriously, I feel very sorry for people in such a state but the idea of dumping all that crap on family and children is revolting. 

ajdrew said:
Heckle, I think maybe vet suicide is now so very high that they suspect it at every turn.  That or they figure with a face like mine....

Oldsalty, nope.  Too much to do.  Seriously, I feel very sorry for people in such a state but the idea of dumping all that crap on family and children is revolting.
Yeah that's a tough one you feel for their obvious pain but it's the family and friends who truly suffer after the fact. Very sad. Have had to deal with this in my own family! :(

I went through the same conversations applying for Gov. aid/assistance. Probably had to answer the same in written form over a dozen times! If I'm seeking something to help me 'live' a better life...why would I want to off myself...makes no sense. Prior to this I had to have a one-on-one sit down with a 'head doc'..wasn't even an actual psychologist, just some 'evaluator' sorts. And no!! - he was not hot!  :rofl:

Hilarious answer sir! I would have laughed but maybe only having somewhat of a familiarity of you here. However, due to all the scrutiny the VA has encountered over their delayed times and how many people may have needed the mental health but wasn't provided it in time, have taken their life. To them, now I am sure they are taking it serious. I suppose they are just young nurses getting out of school maybe? I have heard the VA does offer really good benefits but takes along time to get hired into.

More soldiers have returned home and killed themselves than have died in the wars overseas for the past 15 years.  I understand their concern, but when asked a question that blunt and direct what do they expect people to say?  "YA GOT ME,  I was gonna do it in the parking lot, help me!"  - Almost anyone who served in the military is proud, and believes they should be solid and strong (From my experience).  I doubt they would admit to being about to end their life and showing that "weakness".

Edit:  I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, was more for people commenting.  - Also happy you are not going to off yourself.  Hope your benefits come through!

Vicious Vex said:
More soldiers have returned home and killed themselves than have died in the wars overseas for the past 15 years.  I understand their concern, but when asked a question that blunt and direct what do they expect people to say?  "YA GOT ME,  I was gonna do it in the parking lot, help me!"  - Almost anyone who served in the military is proud, and believes they should be solid and strong (From my experience).  I doubt they would admit to being about to end their life and showing that "weakness".

Edit:  I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, was more for people commenting.  - Also happy you are not going to off yourself.  Hope your benefits come through!
Yes sir, and due to their back logs this has became a serious problem and an unacceptable one. For all of those that served they should not every had to wait months for psychiatric health services, but I think that you are right about the mind set of being strong and admitting the contemplation of suicide as a weakness so there may be reluctance, that may also extend to many men in general. 

Vicious Vex said:
Thank you.  The only thing I am really looking for is help with health related bills, especially medication.  I have an $800.00 a month insulin habit that I can not see kicking any time soon. 

Now for the truly odd.  The VA which is government had me write to the government to get my discharge papers.  So the government is having me get my discharge papers from the government.  Seems if i am getting them from the government then the government already has them.

ajdrew said:
Thank you.  The only thing I am really looking for is help with health related bills, especially medication.  I have an $800.00 a month insulin habit that I can not see kicking any time soon. 

Now for the truly odd.  The VA which is government had me write to the government to get my discharge papers.  So the government is having me get my discharge papers from the government.  Seems if i am getting them from the government then the government already has them.
Another silly failure within the government. 

Government - "We have a database that holds all your personal information, and it can be hacked by outside forces fairly easily"
You - "Can you e-mail my discharge papers to *insert department here*"
Government - "Sorry, No we need you to submit a request for the paperwork & then resubmit the paperwork to the adjacent building"
You - "...."   

Back