No-Salt Mash

I think POTAWIE is on the right track about cabbage -vs- peppers. Cabbage does ferment very easily.

Just a couple suggestions-
one of the biggest hazards to making kimchee is contact with fresh air so bad bacteria can get into the stuff and wreck it. You can use the air trap as suggested or make your own. Using a glass jar of appropriate size, make sure the peppers are covered with liquid, put a doubled plastic bag filled with enough water to create a seal around the neck. Not over the top of the jar. Ziploc bags might work, but I have a supply of food service bread bags, strong, no leaks, flexible. This will allow the gas to escape and keep the air out.

That also reminds me- use glass containers or crocks for fermenting, QUALITY SS or plastic for mixing, NO ALUMINUM, and be careful what tools you use. Wood, Stainless, and be very CLEAN about you work surfaces and tools.

When I make kimchee in the summer when fruit flies are present I also cover the whole set up with cheese cloth. Might want to consider that also for fermenting mash.

There are a ga-zillion recipes for kimchee, some with salt, some without. Some refrigerate the whole time, others leave it out for the whole time, and others leave it out for 12-24 hours and then refer it for 5-7 days. But as noted before, cabbage ferments much more easily than peppers.

Another trick that is used for Kimchee is to use a bit of the previous batch in the new batch, similar to sour dough starter. I don't know if any of the previously mentioned starters leave any kind of taste, but maybe if you save a bit to start the next batch, it would loose the starter taste after a couple batches. Of Course, this doesn't help the "one batch" mash makers, but it's something to keep in mind.

What about, if you added a few whole cabbage leaves (traditional Korean kimchee uses Napa cabbage) to the pepper mash to get it going and then threw out the leaves when the fermentation was complete? You could probably use less salt doing it this way since the cabbage would help get things cooking.

Anyway, sounds like lots of fun. Good Luck....looking forward to pics...

Although very expensive, you can buy stoneware fermentation pots
"Purposefully designed with an airtight water-sealable cover so that you do not have to repeatedly open them to scrape off surface mold; simply pour a small amount of water into the channel on top and the cover’s design will allow gases to escape without letting oxygen in. "
http://www.sausagemaker.com/3101340literfermentationpot.aspx

I find it interesting how traditional Korean kimchi is often fermented for long periods of time in crocks burried in people's back yards

I was discussing this with hubby last night and one note that came up was-

wine and beer, etc are fermented with yeast which eats the sugars. Kimchee and mash are fermented with bacteria, I think for both it's the lacto-basillius strain.

I'm inspired now!

I've started a batch of peppers with cabbage, what's the trick to get "allowed" to post pics?

I did read FAQ's and checked settings.......sorry........newbie issue.......

Host your piccy, then use the picture icon.

Another tip, that I got from reading a thread somewhere on making sour dough starter (which also uses lacto bacteria) was to add pineapple juice to the mash at the beginning. Pineapple juice will lower the pH of the solution and give the lactobacillus an edge over the competition.

As stated previously in this thread, besides inhibiting bad bacterium, salt withdraws water from the vegetable or peppers in order to have a brine to cover them. Some veggies don't have much water in them and most peppers fit into this category. For this reason it may be necessary to add more salt water brine to the mixture. This is exactly like making / fermenting sauerkraut. My first pepper mash turned out bad since I didn't have enough brine.

I made some sauerkraut a few months ago (still eating it). It turned out great and I used some of it's juice / brine / lactic acid (containing live lactobacillus) for the mash I put up 7 days ago, I'll post pics in another thread instead of hijacking. :)

I've started doing bokashi composting(fermenting organic waste) and am thinking of trying the same simple methods to isolate lactobacillus for my vegetable ferments. I think I might just wait though and save up for a good fermenting pot to do it right

i would image it would ferment in the fridge - it would just be a slower process if I had to take a stab at it. as far as not using salt - i dunno.

I believe refrigeration would drastically slow down the fermentation process, and you probably want things fermenting quick in the early stages to bring down the pH

POTAWIE said:
I believe refrigeration would drastically slow down the fermentation process, and you probably want things fermenting quick in the early stages to bring down the pH

+1

Bubbles! Tiny Bubbles!

woohoo! The mash is bubbling!

I'll try to insert pics with the text.

I started with about 8# jalapenos, de-stemmed and ground them, and layered them in the glass crock with whole napa cabbage leaves, covering the top with a double layer of leaves. I made a brine of 1 Tblsp sea salt in 2 quarts water. (Did not boil the brine). 2 quarts was enough to cover the peppers and napa.

Copyofmashprep1.jpg

Copyofmashprep2.jpg

Copyofmashprep3.jpg

I used a bowl on top of the napa leaves to try and weight it down. Really should of had a plate, but I didn't have one of exactly the right size. Next I covered the top with several layers of saran wrap (the rim of the crock wasn't perfectly shaped) and another plate upside down.

Copyofmash.jpg

mashbubbles-1.jpg

I started the mash on Saturday and by Tuesday, I could see a few bubbles. By today, I can really see the bubbles, especially if I shake it a little.

It's technically not NO-salt, but I was to scared to eliminate it completely. And at 1 Tablespoon for 2 gallons of peppers and water, I can live with that.

When it's done fermenting, I'll remove the leaves and puree the rest of it.

Oh Yea! I have the jar at room temp and I covered it with a large plastic bucket to keep the light out.

Well, I couldn't stand it, I had to go tinker with the mash.

I found some old bubblers/airlocks, drilled a couple lids and made a couple fermenting jars. I took the mash and cabbage out of the big crock and repacked it into the gallon jar with some napa cabbage leaves on top and a small glass dish as a weight.
soccermashjan2010082.jpg

I tried to put mostly peppers and less juice in the jar so I had about 1 1/2 quarts of peppers and a LOT of juice left over. The pH tested 3.88 at this point. I put the leftovers in a stock pot and had it at a full rolling boil for 30 minutes which reduced the liquid significantly. Next it went into the blender, then a food mill to sieve out any big bits.

soccermashjan2010084.jpg

Here's the end product and on a plate to show consistency. pH after boiling and reducing was 3.61. The jars are not canned/sealed yet, only in the refer. I knew I would be making some sauces right away. Any that doesn't get used tomorrow, I will can.
soccermashjan2010085.jpg

soccermashjan2010086.jpg

I've been looking up recipes and tomorrow I'll do up a couple different sauces. After cooking, it got a little darker green. It looks like strained peas baby food in the jars. LOL-

Haven't tasted it yet, kinda scared to~~~ it has a good fresh smell, but I kinda want to watch the airlock to make sure it is still fermenting. That whole botulism thing has me skittery. Do you think I have anything to be worried about?

I tried to put a smilie in the post and just found out that a smilie counts as an image for the 4-image limit. Learn something new every day!

8:45 local time-
just checked the airlock with SalsaNut0.5 and the inside cap is raised up off the vent tube! WOOOHOOOO! GASSING IS OCCURRING!

Oh, wait, that might have been the dog..........

sorry, nope, it was the MASH!

Cool stuff salsalady! I would not be afraid to taste that. I don't think that you have anything to worry about ;)

Great, salsalady, I don't think you have anything to worry about with the safety of that. I look forward to seeing what you make from it, I may be processing my mash later today.

today's experiments-

Well, I had to CowgirlUp and taste the mash. Sour jalapeno is the best I can describe it, and I hope that's how it's supposed to taste. Funny, I spent half a day playing around with this stuff and I really have no idea what taste I'm trying to achieve! LOL!

To review, I started 8 pounds of peppers fermenting Jan 9th. Jan 30th I "re-racked" them into the one gallon jar with an airlock. Had a little left over so today.... "crazy mom in the kitchen" experiments.

Here's the components-
soccermashjan2010087.jpg

I ended up not using the red bell pepper. For all recipes, everything went into the blender, simmered on the stove for at least 30 minutes, back in the blender and then into bottles. These were recycled salad dressing jars without the liner in the lid, so they will have to be kept in the refer.

I ground up 1 large onion in the food processor prior to starting. It made it easier to measure how much onion.

DISCLAIMER-THESE ARE NOT PERFECTED RECIPES, ONLY WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR! ONLY POSTING FOR REFERENCE! If they turn out awesome in a week, month, year, I'll update at that time.
Recipe #1-basic green hot sauce
1 cup mash
3/8 cup (6 Tbsp) white vinegar
1/4 tsp salt

Recipe #2-Green hot sauce plus
1 cup mash
2 TBSP ground onion
4 large cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Recipe #3- The Kitchen Sink
(I originally used roasted garlic of which I had some in the freezer. The flavor got totally lost so I added some fresh garlic.
When I first started to blender the sauce, it was very thick. It seems like the little bit of olive oil that was on the roasted garlic as well as the natural oil from the avocado almost acted as an emulsifier. The first recipe I started with was for about 3 cups, but I kept adding water and vinegar to thin it out and ended up with over 5 cups. For the other recipes, I did not have to add any additional liquid. The only noticeable ingredient difference for #3 was the oil in the roasted garlic and the avocado.)

2 cups mash
1 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 small avocado
2Tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup fresh garlic cloves
1 fingerful fresh cilantro (maybe 1/3 bunch?)
1/2 cup ground fresh onion
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
sprinkle of sifted red pepper flakes, just because I like the look of tiny red specs in the sauce.

Tastes-
#1- sour jalapeno, don't even notice the vinegar. should I add more vinegar? nice medium jalapeno heat

#2- sour jalapeno and onions. not much vinegar, same heat. Garlic and cumin are in there but next time I'll up the garlic and cumin

#3- less sour jalapeno (and a little less heat), but this one got diluted more than the others- lime, garlic, onion and cumin, the avocado is in there very subtly, not strong vinegar.

they are tasting better after chilling in the refer for a couple hours. They all taste "young" so I'm hoping tastes will develop and change as they age in the refer.

#3 in the blender-
soccermashjan2010089.jpg

The results- they are more green than in the photos
soccermashjan2010091.jpg

the plate test, hope this shows more accurate color. #1 and #2 are definitely jalapeno green, #3 has a softer more avocado green.
soccermashjan2010092.jpg

Hubby hasn't cowboy-ed up yet to taste them. I'll get him in a couple days. :wink:

Back