• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Nola or No-go?

It sure sounds to me like your heart is in it - you clearly want to help these folks.

But that said, you're already keying in on red flags.

I've also worked in restaurants as a line cook, prep cook & and waiter & it can really suck. (college - farm work got slow in the winter)

And in this case it sounds like they need improvin' but are cheap as hell. That's a really craply combination. Are they old & sweet & want a better restaurant old or old & stuck in their ways old & cheap old? If the former an you can convince them to pry open the purse strings that's one thing. But if the latter then forget it - you'll only end up frustrated at what you cannot change, lashing out in impotent rage.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Good luck brother - someone should be eating your cooking because from what I've seen in the TDs you're damn talented - but this might not be the right fit if there are too many red flags.

YES! YES! YES! While splooges of cheese sauce dance in your head... :woohoo:

It's a Nola joint. So yeah! I know some HBR catfish salmon po' boys are on the way! Woot!

TB, keep us posted and good luck! Hope you have fun.

TB, I can just see you going in there on Monday like Mystery Diners and then going all Hell's Kitchen on that "Chef" you said they have. You gonna have some fun now..... :twisted:

Muchas gracias for the kind words y'all.

RM ~ I won't have to deal with the CIQ (chef in question) as now that the owners are bringing me in he's 86'd with extreme prejudice from the joint.

For the time being I shan't reveal the name of the joint for now and don't wish stir up any bias that would reflect negatively on them.

We'll see how it goes.

I look forward to being a contributor to their prosperity.

mrs. blues is especially glad to get me out the house.

Muchas gracias for the kind words y'all.

RM ~ I won't have to deal with the CIQ (chef in question) as now that the owners are bringing me in he's 86'd with extreme prejudice from the joint.

For the time being I shan't reveal the name of the joint for now and don't wish stir up any bias that would reflect negatively on them.

We'll see how it goes.

I look forward to being a contributor to their prosperity.

mrs. blues is especially glad to get me out the house.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35394-chefs-dish-it-out/

Epiphany!

Perhaps we need a new sub forum or thread.

RESTAURANT WORKER.

I have stories that will make grandma's drop their panties and patron's cringe in horror!

Don't believe all the glory holin' sheeit on The Food Network.

There ain't no glory.

But a whole lotta' sheeit.

Good idea, I'd love to hear some tales.

I just had a young guy ask me if culnary school is worth it. I pointed him to this piece.
It's pretty dead on....Good reads

So You Wanna Be a Chef
— by
Anthony Bourdain
I am frequently asked by aspiring chefs, dreamers young and old, attracted by the lure of slowly melting shallots and caramelizing pork belly, or delusions of Food Network stardom, if they should go to culinary school. I usually give a long, thoughtful, and qualified answer.But the short answer is “no.”

You’re about to take on $40,000 to $60,000 in debt training for an industry where—if you are lucky—you will, for the first few years, be making $10 to $12 dollars an hour.
http://ruhlman.com/2...-by-bourdain-2/

Good luck on the new job

Only been there one week and he's already married to the job.

Just giving you sheeeit TB, it's quiet around here without you.

Back