• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Non Superhot sauce question

I'm sure that many of you have faced the same question from friends and family that like a "hot" sauce but can't handle a superhot version that we all enjoy. My question is this - what is a good filler ingredient that will give enough volume to the pot and use only one or two bhuts, trinidads or the like to still give heat but not make it too intense. My previous recipes this year modeled on many found here have allowed me to have at least 6 woozy per batch. This has made a nice 6 pack variety box for Christmas but they are all very hot. I need the same amount of sauce without using that many peppers. Is there something besides using tomato sauce that will work? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

I would say switch the pepper if heats the problem use jalapeños and bells you can add more volume and probably add up to the same heat if you want to say it has bhuts or whatever use half of one

think of colors. 
If the chiles are red, use other red ingredients like red bells, carrots, purple onion...
yellowchile = yellow bells, apple, onion...
fruits and fruit juices are good ingredients in that the sugar cuts the heat a bit and fresh fruits add a lot of fiber/filler. 

Here's some recipes that are good for the reading, might find something for inspiration~
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce_idx.html

Phil said:
I used roma tomatoes in a naga sauce I made. Was sort of like a salsa. Went great on hot dogs. Everyone liked it.
I will try that to make a thicker picante sauce with the hot and milder peppers.
Nightshade said:
I would say switch the pepper if heats the problem use jalapeños and bells you can add more volume and probably add up to the same heat if you want to say it has bhuts or whatever use half of one

salsalady said:
think of colors. 
If the chiles are red, use other red ingredients like red bells, carrots, purple onion...
yellowchile = yellow bells, apple, onion...
fruits and fruit juices are good ingredients in that the sugar cuts the heat a bit and fresh fruits add a lot of fiber/filler. 

Here's some recipes that are good for the reading, might find something for inspiration~
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce_idx.html
You both had similar answers I dont know why i never considered using bells as a non heat ingredient. I will also try the fruits in a small batch this week. Good thing about giving sauce away to family at Christmas is very few complain even if they hate it. Thank you for your input.

Justaguy said:
I have lowered heat in some of mine and due to the other ingredients already there it was just a matter of lowering the amount of hot peppers I used.
The seeds that you sent to me this spring have turned out well. This is why I need to lower the heat in some of the sauces for the less tolerant of my friends and family. Of course the more they try the more they want. Thanks for the suggestion and of course for the seeds.

Back