• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Noob Needs some suggestions

Hello, I'm new to pepper growing, however I have grown a few jalapeno plants from seeds. I would like to start growing some more exotic and much hotter chili's this season. I'm looking for a pepper that would do well in Maryland's climate and a two and a half gallon pot (trashcan). Does anyone have any suggestions on what peppers to try out? Or any seeds I can buy from them? The pepper would have to relatively easy to grow also.

Thanks!!

Hello, I'm new to pepper growing, however I have grown a few jalapeno plants from seeds. I would like to start growing some more exotic and much hotter chili's this season. I'm looking for a pepper that would do well in Maryland's climate and a two and a half gallon pot (trashcan). Does anyone have any suggestions on what peppers to try out? Or any seeds I can buy from them? The pepper would have to relatively easy to grow also.

Thanks!!
PM me your details and I'll send you some 7 pods, habs etc

If you're gonna grow in containers, I would maybe go to a 5 gallon bucket. You can get them at Lowe's and Home Depot for less than $3. You cant beat that price, and your plants will be a good 5'-6' tall!

What I did was put an ad on Craigslist looking for free 5 gallon buckets. Someone that works at a local restaurant said they throw many away each week and he said he would save some for me. You could try that. They are cheap but if you have 10-20 plants, that's better than paying $3.00 or so per bucket.

You could also do something like this: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/large-nursery-container/nursery-containers

10 7 gallon nursery pots for ~$25 shipped (I looked up a Baltimore zip code and that's what it came to).

Though they say 7 gallon, they're actually 6. No need to drill holes and they look a lot better than buckets, though not as sturdy. I went the bucket route last year but I'm going with nursery containers this year.

Also, if you're going to grow chinenses, especially some of the superhots (bhuts/nagas, 7 Pod, Trinidad Scorpion, and all their various strains) in Baltimore, you should get them started ASAP imo since they take awhile.

I recommend fatalii, it's great and pretty easy to grow imo. Caribbean red is another good one that's pretty easy to grow.

There is so many types of the peppers out there.

If yer goin with 5 gallon buckets, yes drill plenty of holes in the bottom to offer good drainage.

Another good place to get free buckets is a big commercial construction site such as an office building, new school, any kind of building that has lots of sheetrock in it. There are lots of 5 gallon drywall taping compound buckets and 5 gallon paint buckets and other 5 gallon buckets from other trade materials that go into the dumpster. If ya got the time, stop by the site and talk to someone at the site and ask if they'll put them aside for ya. I know ive thrown thousands of those pails into dumpsters over the years, but if someone wanted them i was happy to help.

Good luck
Jim

Maryland is a good climate for growing peppers. I'm next door in Virginia - it might be slightly warmer here, but not enough to make a huge difference. Peppers really dig the warm but not scorching summers here.

2 1/2 gallon pots are really not sufficient. You'll get "something" out of that size, but it'll be seriously deficient in pod size and quantity relative to using 5 gallon pots. You just have to ask yourself if you'd be happier with a plant with 50 jumbo pods or 2 plants with 20 small pods each. Bigger pots are better.

Given that we have about the same climate, you'd probably find the same ones easy to grow that I do. First and foremost, Jalapenos, specifically the Jalapeno Early. A bit hotter but also super-easy to grow are Serranos. The easiest of all for me is the orange habanero and the aji amarillo, each of which produce 100+ pods for me (but the ajis are very late season, and the fruits of your labor won't be ripe until mid to late September). Actually, all habs grow well here, but the orange habs are just bulletproof; they start early, produce continually all the way through to October, and I'm literally handing out bagfulls of them to neighbors in September for lack of any way to use so many pods. I recommend orange habs if you're looking to get something easy and fulfilling going.

Even MORE prolific and easy to grow than the orange hab is the "Hottie". These are sort of a "new and improved" hybrid version of the orange hab. These are just unstoppable - 100+ per plant in pots, about 1.5x the size of orange habs. They're disease resistant and seem to produce with or without fertilizer or regular watering or any amount of sun. However, they are not quite as flavorful or rich as the orange hab - a bit more bland. But easier on the pallet of folks who are not used to habanero-level heat. More of a serrano-class heat, perhaps. Stink bugs love these, though - if you have that problem in MD like we do in VA, just know in advance you might be donating half your pod count to the Bug Gods.

5 gallon buckets::::::::grab one and head to any nearby oriental food restaurants. You bring one along to help communicate. DON'T go in the front door. Knock on the back kitchen door. Pointing at the bucket you brought while asking goes over better. I got 11 in less then an hour last year through 5 different places. Thai food, Chinese, etc...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems like there are a lot of good info and knowledgable people on these boards.

I agree, I'll use a larger container. What should I do with the 10 walmart 2.5 gal trashcans I bought now? lol oh well.

Avon, I'll check those containers out. Thanks. BTW Omar comin' We aren't all bad in Baltimore, however, I have had my plants get stolen from outside of my rowhouse. I'll have to chain these down!

Shoontok, That's a good idea, I rehab a house or two every year with my family and notice how many buckets we throw away. I'll have to remember to grab some for next season.

Mega, I like the idea of the "hottie" plant. I'm interested in making hotsauce for the first time this season. Think they will be good for that? And yes, the stink bugs were terrible last year and are expected to return just as bad, if not worse, this year. We'll have to see what happens.

i use both 5 gal. buckets and raised beds.both work great for me, they do need watered more often though.
100_0667.jpg

100_0782.jpg

last years pics.

Nice bike WBG, It's about that time to get mine out of storage. I'll be sure to take some pics along the way and share them here.

Head over to Valley View Farms in Cockeyville. They grow some rare and interesting hot peppers. The website says they have 8 different Trinidad varieties. I'd also recommend growing some Thai chilies.

Try growing super chilli's, they are not too hot, but grow really well and easy. The more peppers you cultivate, the more peppers the plant produces.

Take the buckets back to Wally World. They will take used diapers if you tell them they had poo in 'em when you bought them lol

they will at least give you a gift card which you can promptly use for better supplies.

Mega, I like the idea of the "hottie" plant. I'm interested in making hotsauce for the first time this season. Think they will be good for that? And yes, the stink bugs were terrible last year and are expected to return just as bad, if not worse, this year. We'll have to see what happens.

hmm..the Hottie would be OK for hot sauce, but probably wouldn't be my first choice. I prefer red/caribbean habs for sauces. Hotties are really cool thrown into bottles of vodka, though. Just stuff about 1/2 dozen of them in a bottle of Stoli, wait 3-4 weeks, and ... magic! They're also great on pizzas, in salsas, etc. Kind of a general-use habanero. But no, I wouldn't say orange habs or hotties are the go-to pepper for hot sauce. The hottie is kinda mild - so it's not going to yield a hot sauce with huge kick, but is actually a very nice heat level for civilians whose capsacin sensors haven't been totally burned out yet; for seasoned chili heads the Hottie might be thought of as boring. My taste buds are somewhere in between the dedicated fanatics and civilians, so the Hottie suits me pretty well.

Another pepper that grows really well in this area and might suit your purposes is the Hot Finger.

Back