• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NoooooOOOOOOOoOOOOO!!!!!!

I am trying ladybugs this year after fighting a losing battle with the Bayer product. I released about 300 last night but I only saw about 10 left today. Hopefully they are all just hiding in the plants like little aphid eating ninjas. Now I just need to take care of the ants I discovered farming the aphids.

I think i hate the ants just as much as the aphids. Whenever i get aphids i kill the ants first then the stupid aphids.

Yeah, I DID have a hell of an ant problem as well. I still have a couple hanging around, but most seem to be gone. I guess that is why they were hangin around.
Either way, the Bayer stuff seems to be working, so far. I looked today and didnt see very many of the little bastards. I will spray again tomorrow regardless. If I see any more this weekend, I'm gonna get me some lady bugs. Gonna make me a little screened box that I can put them in, then just drop the little box thingie over the plants I want treated. I'll leave it there over night, then move on to the next plant the following day. That way I can TRY to keep the ladies around.

ants bring in them aphids to the plants. eliminate the ants, the aphid problem will not spread as badly.

but once the aphids are there, it's gonna be tough to get rid of them.

i make sure i make the suffer before i squish them. i cut of one of their antennae, then one of their legs, another leg then i squish them so that their bodily fluids bursts out of their heads. in my mind they're screaming and yelling to other aphids to leave lest they meet the same fate. i effing hate them.

good luck! lol

I am trying ladybugs this year after fighting a losing battle with the Bayer product. I released about 300 last night but I only saw about 10 left today. Hopefully they are all just hiding in the plants like little aphid eating ninjas. Now I just need to take care of the ants I discovered farming the aphids.

Try spraying the lady bugs with some soda or other sticky sugary liquid, it clues their wings shut for a little while. I must admit that I've never used lady bugs outside and only did this inside so they didn't fly into the light or into a fan. But worth a shot outside too...

I'm all for keeping things organic but there comes a time when you need to bring in the big guns. A serious aphid infestation is one of them. I understand the use of ladybugs but before everyone orders ten or twenty thousand of them give this a read: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21775-ladybugs/

Last year I finally went chemical and used ORTHO MAX Lawn & Garden Insect Killer. I sprayed once early in the season and that was the end of my aphid troubles for the rest of the season.

Good luck everyone.

Back