• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NoooooOOOOOOOoOOOOO!!!!!!

BASTARDS!! I've sprayed 'em, but I think I might have to call in the cavalry...
Why is it SO much fun to smush the little bastards?

Thankfully, aphids are one thing I've never really had a problem with.

I see a couple from time to time at the start of my season, squish 'em, and that's that. :D

However, I do still feel the pain of pests. If we were talking mites....... BASTARDS!!

I know how you feel.

Last year, I had to throw out a plant, cause I couldn't kill all the aphids and I was afraid they would spread to other plants.

i feel your pain. a few weeks ago i had ants farming them on my plants. i killed the aphids with dish soap and killed the ants with wheat flour

I have been spraying with pyrethrin for two weeks and they are just laughing at me. I am going to have to break down and buy a bottle of heavy duty atomic Ortho to get rid of them then follow up in a few weeks with something more gentle for control.

I sprayed with a Bayer product that WickedMojo recommended. he said he used it last year, and it worked. After I used it, I saw aphids all over the soil underneath the plant. Im just hoping they were DEAD aphids, and not getting ready to start digging in the soil...

+1 on RedtailForester

AJ knows how to kill the bastards!!

You can't take this lightly…remember this is an all out war!!
Winner takes all!!

Keep us posted on your progress…aphids really piss me off!!

I noticed a BUNCH of dead f**kers on the top of the soil earlier, so I guess I killed some. I just need to be vigilant. I will give it a few days. IF this doesnt work, then I will order some ladybugs.

Neem works great on them in my yard. I only get them for about a 2 month period between to cold and blazing hot down here. I just hit my plants weekly w/ neem and I'm good to go.
Good luck killing them all. No Mercy.

Thankfully, aphids are one thing I've never really had a problem with.

I see a couple from time to time at the start of my season, squish 'em, and that's that. :D

However, I do still feel the pain of pests. If we were talking mites....... BASTARDS!!

I'm with you..thank goodness..never had an issue with aphids..never even seen one actually...knock on a big ass piece of timber

Lady bugs have always controlled the aphids for me until this spring. The population exploded and it has really set my season way back. I have resisted using chemicals, but next year I may. I lost too much of my season because of these guys.
I talked to an entomologist today from U of A who was kind enough too give me the following advice:

Your lady beetles may not have worked if the beetles were not as “good” as you usually get, so I wouldn’t give up on them. The brushing of aphids into a cup of soapy water will really help the beetles catch up. Just make sure not to brush any beetles or their larvae into the cup too!
If you decide to use insecticides, below are the registered products for Arkansas tomatoes. There are not many of them, and I suggest looking for the one with the ingredient “acetamiprid”. In addition to “Ortho MAX Flower Fruit and Vegetable Insect Killer”, you may found it sold as Assail, Pristine, or as Chipco. This chemical is in a group called “neonicotinoids”. These are very similar in chemistry to the nicotine in cigarettes, but without a cancer risk.

Aphid
acetamiprid (Ortho MAX Flower, Fruit and Vegetable Insect Killer RTU)
Maximum applications per season (4). Days to wait to reapply (7).

malathion (various) 57% EC
see label

soap (insecticidal, M-Pede) 49 EC
2 tbsp

pyrellin EC
1-2 tsp

The info in bold type was in a table form in the email he sent me and I'm not exactly sure how it reads.

I tried the soaps and Neem last year and almost lost all my plants.

Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus and Vegetable contains the neonicotinoid ... Imidacloprid ... a very long lasting systemic ... applied to the soil once a season ... approved for edible plants.

Ortho Max Flower, Fruit and Vegetable contains the neonicotinoid ... Acetamiprid ... a systemic foliar spray applied 4X a year ... that works against a broad spectrum of pests.

Both of these nicotine-based systemics have been approved for edible plants ...

I found acetamiprid to be effective against the nasties around here ... hornworms, aphids, whiteflies, grasshoppers and the dreaded stink bug ... made 4 applications last year ... after almost losing all my plants to these critters.

I'll be applying it next week .. when I begin my hardening off procedure ...

I have worked too hard on my 80 Trinidads (Butch T, Douglah, Morouga, and Yellow 7 ... thanks Judy) to let these pepper eaters mess with my babies this year.

Back