• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Noshow's Grow log "09"

Thanx much to (OrigamiRN For hooking me up with some plants)White bullet habanero
WhitebulletHabanero.jpg
Jolokia
Jolokia.jpg
Fatali
Fatali.jpg
:lol:

The Yellow 7Pod and Guajillo seem to be really hardening off nicely and the Alma Paprika seems to be hanging on with one leaf not sure if its gonna pull through or not but i still have soem more seeds from that variety no biggy
IMG00617.jpg

any one else grow the guajillo? Curious on the flavor and heat.

And heres a few seedlings i have recently potted up getting ready for the big time.
In This Picture we have Cilantro,tomato,Dorset Naga, Negro de arbor,Scorpion Morouga Blend,Golden Greek Pepperoncini,an old stunted up trinidad scorpion haning on for life but getting better,a Beni Highlands hanging on for life and 2 Mystery peppers i found growing in the bushes where i dump the soil from previous germination aTTempts. (I got allsorts of wild things in theyre now that i transplant up)
IMG00618.jpg

A lil off topic cloning action goin on today too.
I took a clipping from my girlfriends aunts vanilla bean orchid, just put in some orchid mix today with some rooting gel on it for help with rooting.
and i also took a cutting hoping to clone my Nepenthes Ventrata(Tropical Pitcher Plant).
going to keep it inside for a week or two. then out side she goes and might try and raise em up nice and sell em. maybe try some different and rare species. sorry for being off the hot pepper topics but this is part of my grow log.
th_IMG00626.jpg

th_IMG00622.jpg

th_IMG00623.jpg

th_IMG00624.jpg

Guajillo tastes great and are not hot. One of my favorites when fresh. I got a small bag of dried pods at a local hispanic food store whose seeds all germinated. I grew one plant out that gave a couple pods that made me freak out when I tasted them. They were very sweet, and I personally couldn't taste any hotness.
No problem showing other kinds of plants. It shows you are a more rounded plant person.

Thanx for info on Guajillo ABM

But for some reason my jolokia is setting fruit! (during the coldest time of year):(
IMG00677.jpg

Also my 7pod's are starting to get bigger and bountiful! bad pic we should have a new camera today well phone camera
IMG00680.jpg

Oh yeah Some of the flower stems are turning almost white on some of my plants is this due to the cold weather? are there any signs that i should be looking for that my plants are not going to make it through the winter?

My plants can't set pods when it's this cold out even though they'll flower. Keep your plants close to your house especially the south side and they'll get enough warmth to make it through florida freezes. But the best advice is to cover them or bring them inside to play it safe. Burnt growth tips or leaves are signs of cold damage and depending on extent of damage they may or may not make it. I've got several plants outside far from the house as an experiment so we'll see if they make it by next week. Good luck nate.

where abouts in fla are you at thachili? a woman i work with told me that if you poured water on roots and it freezes the roots this is a good thing will protect it somehow. I am definately not doing that unless someone has had success even then i still don't want to be freezing the root tip hairs, maybe be frost the tips:) jK

Soo Temps have been getting to 30 degrees F.
IMG00716.jpg

I was told by a locla pepper grower such as myself not to wrry abou tthe freezing temps but I wasn't sure if i could believe this guy he kind of a drunk and asks for money for growing advice seems like a real douche.
anyways Ms Noshow really wanted to cover the plants and move them to the side of the house for protection she seems more worried about th eplants than i did which is a good thing:)
so we covered them all in some bed sheets as is.
IMG00714.jpg

Ok now the next morning when i woke to a very disturbing surprise.
A cat must have jumped on the top of this (has to be a cat my neighbor has literally 30!)
and landed right on my BHut Jolokia!:( as well as some others but the others were still salvageable.
IMG00721.jpg

not this one.
Soo I was forced to do some quick acting cloning action on my bhut plant unfortunately i have to pick all flowers and pods off makes cloning hard on the plant.
IMG00722.jpg

I hope the cloning goes well!
I am soo bummed this plant was just finally starting to set fruit tooo!
Well You Live and Learn i guess and i have been learning alot!

i have the same problems with cats in my area.
*@#&ing stray cats.

Lucky i have more than 1 plants of each type. Hey, you can try the aspirin water solution in a cup for cloning until they cuttings grows root.

Back