• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not Naga Viper But Genuine Testing!

In the meantime buyer beware of made up species and new names for varieties that nobody has ever heard of.

That's why I really appreciate the vast pepper knowledge and vigilence shown by the members on this forum.

Any Pepper Peddlin' shysters, chile charlatans or other scum bag scam artists will quickly get run out of Dodge, usually before sundown.

dvg

I cannot comment on Dave and Paul. I was approached by Dave and Marlin. I have only had 1 conversation with Paul on superhots last year and he really did not show interest. Maybe because he did not know me. CARDI I talked with 2 yrs ago and thought I was a nut looking for Scorpions. Then we talked for over an hour and gradually they listened to my points that there are chileheads that will grow and use them. Funny after that phone call I see them try and market them through a Landrace publication. My view on CARDI is they still think like Third World so therefore are missing out on having superhots energize their economy. Since Trinidad varieties have less issues than Bhuts they may totally miss out because we could grow them here on a large scale. However they will make money once they get more popular.

I think you should check your timeline with your story...not to be the thorn in this subject...but let's see some things. CARDI attended the Annual National Fiery Foods and Barbecue Show in New Mexico in 2008, CARDi reported in the annual report:

On exhibit at the CARDI booth were fresh peppers,
dried pepper, and pepper sauces from
Trinidad, along with literature on some of the hot
pepper varieties and landraces found in the Caribbean

they already were marketing peppers serious buyers.

Dr Bosland, Director of the Chile Pepper Institute
(CPI), hosted the CARDI team’s visit to the Institute.
Here the team observed several areas of interest
such as, breeding for disease resistance, grafting
of pepper shoots on disease resistant root stock,
breeding for enhanced colour pigmentation, and
a mechanical pepper harvester. CPI is interested
in collaborating with CARDI on R&D of hot pepper.
In this regard Dr Bosland is prepared to look
at the Scorpion pepper variety that CARDI is working
on and comparing it to ‘Bhut Jolokia’ the hottest
pepper in the world.

in 2008, Paul Bosland already knew about the Scorpion, so now you guys contact him , in his all in...but when a institute contacted him personally,toured in the chilli pepper institute, he forgot Cardi, you called talking about superhot and he showed no interest...funny...

From these meetings it
was established: that there is a need for more
consistent quality; larger volumes, particularly in
the winter months and a wider range of peppers.
Presently, the predominant pepper exported from
the smaller islands is ‘CARDI Green.’

cardi green wich is a part of the pepper seeds they offer was being exported by other countries...your call did not make them do a catalog about varieties from trinidad superhots...west indies and cardi green is one of the hot export peppers in my country, and not from 2010...years back mate...in 2008 they were isolating seeds for sale, apart from CG and CD, they had morouga red for sale, we even have a variety here of aji dulce looks exactly like a S morouga blend, no heat. In 2008 they were testing varieties for export and industrial use...they had a yield trial in 2008...testing Scorpion, congo red, morouga red, 7 pod, faria, hood etc..

you should check your facts, and your wish about trinidad getting credit for this...get real...how many commercial seed sellers you know from trinidad? how many stable isolated strains from trinidad you know? all show diferences...douglah,jonah, primo(looks like what cardi reports as Scorpion and shows variation), brain strain( the only one that looks exactly what cardi reports as a 7 pod and show very little variation), barrackpore etc, yellow, orange..all are crosses...people looking to make a jackpot, the next big thing in the news or the new strain...no one from trinidad is getting any benefit from this...more like growers in the US and others countries who sell seeds...this type of thread just boost sales...

Just calling it how it is...Cardi is not thinking like a third world country...more like protecting what they have from gold diggers and doing the right thing...not selling 15 crosses...and giving it a name...isolating pure strains, that show little to no variations...

so where is your bussiness going with 30,000 thousend seeds? yeah right mate...to your pocket...where is trinidad? enough said.

Just calling it how it is...Cardi is not thinking like a third world country...more like protecting what they have from gold diggers and doing the right thing...not selling 15 crosses...and giving it a name...isolating pure strains, that show little to no variations...

Sorry but I spoke on the phone with Herm Edwards of CARDI and at that time he said they were only using superhots for Marine paint and military grade mace. So all I can go by is what was told to me by CARDI. I do think my call made someone over there think. The following year was when they published LandRace papers. Did I influence that? Maybe or maybe not. So here is the bottom line if Trinidad Scorpion makes headlines Trinidad will make money. Will people in U.S. make money absolutely!! Will I make money absolutely!! Now what will stop Trinidad from making money. Do you know?? I do. There is a guy over there now who applied for a permit to make a pepper mash facility 3 yrs ago!! Whats stopping him?? The government of Trinidad thats who! What stopped the University at St. Augustine in Trinidad from doing testing on superhots and getting a new chile heat record. Answer....The Government and Officials at CARDI!! So whose fault is that?? Is that mine? Is it Dave De Witt? No it's politics and if Trinidad does not make any pepper mash plants they will not make any money. Do you know why? Trinidad is too far away to bring peppers in by boat. And air freight will add too much to the cost. So while people wait years for pepper mash permits in Trinidad others will get them up in months in Haiti, Dominican Republic, Mexico and U.S.

Now you don't like the crosses! Well sorry but the chile people on this forum did not create them. There is a Nursery in Central Trinidad that sells Douglah plants. Barrackapore and Primo came from Trinidad growers. CARDI made the Yellow Scorpion! The Moruga came from Tobago. All these strains are stable. And the good growers on this forum know that. All peppers are related in one way or another. They have crossed for thousands of years. Naturally! Whats wrong with that. If Cappy isolates for pod selection and calls a pepper a Brain strain what is wrong with that?? Farmers have been doing selective growing since the beginning of time. Whats wrong with that? Yes people like me do it as a business what is wrong with that?? Don't I have the right to feed my family and pay my bills?? Noooooooo! I should be sending all my money to Trinidad LOL! I am not responsible for the welfare of another country. I am thankful for their peppers. I promote their peppers. I think they are the best! But if they don't get off there political ass and promote themselves and build mash facilities they will not help their own economy one bit! And it won't be my fault because I will grow all I can and contribute to my country's economy!

One more thing. It was mentioned that the CARDI Green is an export from Trinidad. Reason why is it's not ripe and will survive the long boat ride. This will not happen with a ripened pepper. Again if they don't make mash Trinidad will not benefit.

seems we hit a nerve, these are your words >

If we get a Trinidad Variety the record it could re-vitalize the Economy of the the Chile farmer, help the economy of Trinidadand provide the Hot sauce manufacturers with a superhot that can grow well in America. And since we field tested Scorpions and 7 Pots already in the field we know they are a better crop to grow than the Bhut. If you think I am pulling your leg go ahead and contact Dave De Witt directly or wait until he does a press release. Thank you!

what your are doing is not for the benefit or help of trinidad, cut the bullsh!t, your post is about securing your commercial adventure, if naga viper gets credit,the sauce, powder makers want the hottest, you came here asking people to say a new test was comming, and in your position of having an investment of 30,000 thousend seeds, i would be worried like you, if where my product is going could be in jeoperdize...just don't come preaching your gospel about helping trinidad, cause it's not true...

you can feed your double standard bullsh!t to others...

About the crosses...go study what's a stable cross, call paul bosland and ask him how many years he took to stabilize the bhut...then think, analize and study...then reply...
I'll let this thread go...

Let me make my point here. If a Trinidad variety gets the record it will automatically put focus on Trinidad like the Bhut did for Assam, India. So if Trinidad then takes advantage of this by growing more and making pepper mash facilities it will help their economy. Paul grew out the Bhut Jolokia not to stabilize but to study. I don't have to call Paul. When the chile pepper conference was going on two weeks ago I was informed about further research into superhots. In other words I am in the loop now. It is my seed stock that is being grown in New Mexico this year. I am now part of this. And it will be Paul Bosland's team monitoring this field. And my friend Marlin testing the peppers. And I hope Trinidad gets credit for the publicity thats generated by all of this. Publicity that I am a part of whether you like it or not. I don't have to prove to you that I have love for the Country of Trinidad. I love their peppers and hope they get recognition and money for them. Everything you quoted me saying is true! I hope this benefits Trinidad! I hope the chile industry starts making money growing superhots! I hope my hot sauce friends will now have a good supply of peppers grown here instead of dried sub-standard Bhut. No my friend I am glad you re-posted a quote from me in your last post. It is all true!! And yes I hope I make a lot of money growing superhots too so I can leave something behind for my children and grandchildren! Isn't that the American dream. To have a successful business and help your family.

and in your position of having an investment of 30,000 thousend seeds, i would be worried like you, if where my product is going could be in jeoperdize.

Responding to above comment....Dear Mr. Hector Jacob, My 30,000 seeds is for three purposes. Plant sales, chile sales and additional seed stock. I am not worried about my business being in Jeopardy. Regardless of getting record I have 4 restaurants as clients who will buy anything I grow. Three Hot sauce makers who have me grow for them and two more this year. Largest family owned Nursery in San Diego who will buy hot pepper plant starts and now the the largest specialty Produce company on the West Coast wants a few hundred pounds of each variety I grow. So I am not worried. I am expanding. I sell out every year. If I don't get record I will still sell out all my chiles. Now since you think I am some greedy capitalist bastard let me inform you that money from my chiles has fed over 1,000 Underprivileged Youth. Sent hundreds to local San Diego sporting events and sponsored a few more to go to camps. One of my new growers runs a drug and alcohol recovery Ranch called Restoration ranch. Look it up on the web. I am getting them set up with plants and already have a customer lined up to buy from them. I will make a few dollars but they will get most of it and this may possibly be a major funding tool for them. So before you judge me for being some money hungry guy tell me what you do with the money you earn.

Don't worry mate, everybody has a point of view. You have my thanks, I have also gained an interest for Caribbean and Trinidadian food since learning about all this.

I may not be a daily poster here but I can assure you that many of us want to give thanks.

About the crosses...go study what's a stable cross, call paul bosland and ask him how many years he took to stabilize the bhut...then think, analize and study...then reply...
I'll let this thread go...

That would be exactly zero years. The bhut has been around and stable for many many years. Paul and CPI did nothing to stabilize it, they only tested SHU and DNA.
Time to think, analyze and study...then reply... :)

That would be exactly zero years. The bhut has been around and stable for many many years. Paul and CPI did nothing to stabilize it, they only tested SHU and DNA.
Time to think, analyze and study...then reply... :)

first to Potawie, the Bhut is a stable variety, at the time Bosland grew it, the first year, this happaned

A member who had collected it while
visiting India sent the original seed of ‘Bhut
Jolokia’ to the Chile Pepper Institute in 2001.
Because of poor fruit and seed set, it took
several years to have sufficient seed of the
accession for a replicated field trial.

see article >My link

it's called plant adaptation and stabilization,(poor fruit set and seed set) Biology 101, the Bhut had to adapt and stabilize in the New Mexico enviroment. I'm not refering the Bhut as a Cross, put in example about a stable variety.

check the video and listen how many years and what it takes to stabilize a hybrid or cross. that's my point, check video 2:25 and up to 3:05.
My link, it's from Boslands Camp.

To Mr. Duffy...like I said earlier...I let this thread go, about your personal message, don't worry, the brain can see a misspelled word and translate it to what it was intended to say, you understood everything I wrote...makes your personal message what you are...a joke...
Good luck on your investment...i'll be waiting for your foundation. :D

it's like what fubarhouse said, everybody has a point of view...

if you have anything to say Mr. Duffy, i'll be waiting for another excellent PM from you. :rofl:

You call the bhut a stable cross but then say you're not refering to the Bhut as a Cross, then you link to a video segment on stabilizing crosses. Very confusing, I don't get it.
I imagine Bosland just got poor seed samples in the beginning or screwed them up somehow. I've recieved several different bhuts, bihs and nagas from India and Bangladesh over the years and they are very stable for me and other growers around the world. I can't see why they would do so poorly only in New Mexico. The quote does not say why there was poor fruit and seed set, I think you're just assuming things

You call the bhut a stable cross but then say you're not refering to the Bhut as a Cross, then you link to a video segment on stabilizing crosses. Very confusing, I don't get it.
I imagine Bosland just got poor seed samples in the beginning or screwed them up somehow. I've recieved several different bhuts, bihs and nagas from India and Bangladesh over the years and they are very stable for me and other growers around the world. I can't see why they would do so poorly only in New Mexico. The quote does not say why there was poor fruit and seed set, I think you're just assuming things

let's put the simple way. the sesame street way...

A variety like the Bhut took years to get adapted and stabilized in the new mexico enviroment...read reply number #122 to understand what I was talking about crosses or hybrids, and why a compared or made an example to what Bosland did with the Bhut.
If a stable variety grown thousends of years,like the Bhut, takes 2-4 years to adapt to a new enviroment, a unstable hybrid or cross, should take more...the video link is for you to understand that a cross has to show the same characteristics generation after generation for 4 to 7 years to call it a stable cross. go it now?
how many 7 pods crosses and Scorpion that are being commercialized are unstable? most, bottom line! i'm not refering to a sole characteristic, like the Scorpion having a little tale form. I'm talking about size, shape, texture, thickness, flesh etc...

About assuming poor fruit set and seed set...do you think a 20 year hot pepper producer, researcher like Bosland is growing to screw up? to not tell if a seed is viable or not? that's new...
fruit set and seed set mate is determined by climate variables(temp delta being #1, humidity), nutrients variable(boron and molybdenium act in the quality of pollen, calcium in seeds), soil/media variable, pest/disease variables, in that order of importance.

Let's use some examples.
A Bhut planted by Neil in Australia , Habanero500 in San Diego,Potawie in Ottawa and me in Dominican Republic...all 4 plants are going to have diferent fruit set and seed set, because each is going to adapt and stabilize diferent on diferent enviroments...diferent taste, purgency/heat , growth , everything, nothing more , nothing less, all modified by climate, nutrients and soil.

We plant here scotch bonnet, we harvest year and a half without stopping each 8 days after the first harvest, after that year and a half, farmers cut the plants by the trunk and 3 months later, the same cycle for year and a half...how many growers do you know harvest each 8 days for 18 months without stopping? Does it mean we know more about scotch bonnet than jamaica? NO, just that the variety scotch bonnet in our enviroment adapted and stabilized very well.

You had a Naga Morich plant produced more than 2500 pods, a lot of people don't believe you, because that plant were is native, does not produce that quantity of pods, are you making it up or lying? NO, that variety adapted better and stabilize better in your enviroment , then where is native...simple as that.

This is my last post on this topic, anything more to add, PM me...

No need to be rude Elmo. And whats the point of having a discussion forum if we're going to just PM each other?

If plants took 2-4 years to stabilize enough to get seeds then I likely wouldn't be growing any peppers. My 2500 pod naga was the first naga I ever grew so it wouldn't have had time to "adapt and stabilize" in my environment/climate. I believe they would/will grow even better in a longer season and warmer climate if the same care was given.
I understand that plants adapt to their surroundings but the bhuts/nagas I grew 5+ years ago are pretty much the same as the ones I grow today, there's no sudden changes. Bosland is the only person I know who has had any real problems with the bhut, and poor fruit and seed set does not mean his plants needed 2-4 years to adapt and stabilize. I'm sure he didn't start out with a lot of seeds(Yr1) and then he could have just been a bad year(2) for weather, disease, pests, or bad luck. Who knows but I don't like to assume. I just know that even pros like Bosland have had major mess-ups. He is human and he is working with students.
I still don't see the point in comparing the bhut(stable very long-ago cross/hybrid) with an unstable cross/hybrid. We all know a hybrid will take many years to breed true but what does that have to do with a true-breeding bhut? Its just confusing to me, even your Sesame street version. Maybe sponge Bob can expain it better :)
I personally let my crosses grow out for at least 7 generations but sometimes even longer to get 100% purity. I don't think 4 years would ever be enough.

Hector, no need to be so condescending. Especially when your condescension is aimed at extremely successful, knowledgeable, and experienced growers, it makes you seem arrogant. I really doubt Potawie needs any "Sesame Street" lessons on growing chiles. :rolleyes:

If a stable variety grown thousends of years,like the Bhut, takes 2-4 years to adapt to a new enviroment, a unstable hybrid or cross, should take more...

The article simply says he had poor fruit and seed set and it took him a few years to build up enough seed to run proper tests, it does not say why. You're making an assumption that it is because the bhut jolokia had to become adapted to the New Mexico climate through selective breeding (this must be what you're talking about, because natural selection/evolution takes a hell of a lot longer than 2-4 years, and that's not really at play here anyway because the plants were grown from seed each year as annuals as far as I know). You know what they say about assumptions...

Let's say that he adapted the bhut jolokia for the New Mexico climate in only 2-3 years, why is it then that so many people from all over the world are able to successfully grow the bhut jolokia from seed acquired from NMSU, and supposedly adapted to the New Mexico climate, in vastly differing climates? Including Potawie in Canada, me in Indiana, and numerous others here who live in northern climates which are a world apart from that of New Mexico? Fatalii grew very, very well for me year one, and my climate is far, far different than that of anywhere in Africa.

Let's use some examples.
A Bhut planted by Neil in Australia , Habanero500 in San Diego,Potawie in Ottawa and me in Dominican Republic...all 4 plants are going to have diferent fruit set and seed set, because each is going to adapt and stabilize diferent on diferent enviroments...diferent taste, purgency/heat , growth , everything, nothing more , nothing less, all modified by climate, nutrients and soil.

Yet so many people are able to successfully grow these plants in much different climates the first year, without needing 2 or 3 years to selectively breed that variety to grow in their climate.

We plant here scotch bonnet, we harvest year and a half without stopping each 8 days after the first harvest, after that year and a half, farmers cut the plants by the trunk and 3 months later, the same cycle for year and a half...how many growers do you know harvest each 8 days for 18 months without stopping? Does it mean we know more about scotch bonnet than jamaica? NO, just that the variety scotch bonnet in our enviroment adapted and stabilized very well.

You're talking about plants becoming adapted and stabilized in 2-4 years, the Scotch Bonnet has been growing in Jamaica for how long? I don't see any reason why they couldn't harvest from a Scotch Bonnet plant in Jamaica for 18 months straight too. There is no frost, the temperature stays a consistent 70-90 degrees year around. Jamaica is at a nearly identical latitude as the Dominican Republic and only 300 miles West. Water and wind currents obviously affect climate as well, but they seem very similar to me:

Jamaica:

* The average temperature in Jamaica is 27.1 °C (81 °F).
* The average temperature range is 2.5 °C.
* The highest monthly average high temperature is 31 °C (88 °F) in June, July, August, September, October & November.
* The lowest monthly average low temperature is 22 °C (72 °F) in January & February.
* Jamaica's climate receives an average of 811 mm (31.9 in) of rainfall per year, or 68 mm (2.7 in) per month..
* The average annual relative humidity is 74.8% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 70% in August to 78% in October.
* Average sunlight hours in Jamaica range between 7.4 hours per day in September and 8.9 hours per day in April.
* There are an average of 3002 hours of sunlight per year with an average of 8.2 hours of sunlight per day.

Dominican Republic:

* The average temperature in the Dominican Republic is 25.8 °C (78 °F).
* The average temperature range is 3.5 °C.
* The highest monthly average high temperature is 32 °C (90 °F) in August.
* The lowest monthly average low temperature is 19 °C (66 °F) in January & February.
* The average annual relative humidity is 64.3% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 58% in February to 66% in June to December.
* Average sunlight hours in Dominican Republic range between 5.7 hours per day in December and 7.4 hours per day in March.
* There are an average of 2316 hours of sunlight per year with an average of 6.3 hours of sunlight per day.

I don't see what the major difference is, if anything it looks like Jamaica might even have a more favorable climate. The soil is probably somewhat different, but obviously Jamaica has tons of lush vegetation, so it's not like they're growing in clay, and it's not like the soil can't be amended.

Jamaica:

* The average temperature in Jamaica is 27.1 °C (81 °F).
* The average temperature range is 2.5 °C.
* The highest monthly average high temperature is 31 °C (88 °F) in June, July, August, September, October & November.
* The lowest monthly average low temperature is 22 °C (72 °F) in January & February.
* Jamaica's climate receives an average of 811 mm (31.9 in) of rainfall per year, or 68 mm (2.7 in) per month..
* The average annual relative humidity is 74.8% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 70% in August to 78% in October.
* Average sunlight hours in Jamaica range between 7.4 hours per day in September and 8.9 hours per day in April.
* There are an average of 3002 hours of sunlight per year with an average of 8.2 hours of sunlight per day.

Damn, lets move to Jamaica. :)

Well no knock on Paul Bosland but his Scorpions pooped out this past year in his greenhouse. It can happen to anyone. I see Hector Jacob as a smart ass. First picking a fight with me about me not really caring about Trinidad and only having commercial interests. So I guess I am a slime bag because I have turned my hobby into a business LOL By the way my PM to Hector was a comment that I made about his spelling. Paul Bosland getting poor seed stock possibly from weak plants has nothing to do with the Bhut adapting to New Mexico environment. Like one of you said earlier a species does not adapt in a few years. Evolutionary change in any species takes many lifetimes by itself. With that being said we can do things like select certain pods from certain plants and feed plants well to affect future generations.

Now what blows Hector out of the water is this. Marlin and other people with fields in New Mexico won't grow the Bhut. Because it sucks to grow on an agricultural level in New Mexico. That's why Marlin, Dave De Witt and others are looking at the Trinidads. Now I am not saying the home gardener cant grow some Bhuts in New Mexico. But when you have acres to grow and potential flower drop in temps averaging in 100's with high dry winds the Bhut sucks and that's why nobody is growing it on a large scale in New Mexico. But as I said in the beginning of this topic we grew 7 Pot and Scorpion in the field and they did just as well as any Chinense variety. No adapting of Tropical Trinidad plants to New Mexico Mr. Hector. So now me and Marlin are growing the following for a bigger field test. 1,000 Douglah, 2,000 Scorpion, 1,500 Jonah and 2,000 Moruga. My other friend Dave who also lives in New Mexico is attempting to grow me 500 Moruga at his farm isolated. We are doing this of course for some chiles to sell but at the same time have a lot more for field and pungency testing. Yes this is about business but also about science.

If my seedlings make it I will have Marlin grow some in his field as well. Growing Primo, Barrackapore, Brown Scorpion, CARDI Yellow Scorpion, 7 Pot White, Moruga Yellow and a supposed NagaXScorpion. We want to see how these do in harsh conditions and examine pungency and productivity. As I said in earlier post Paul and Chile Pepper Institute will be on board this time.

On a final note concerning Scotch Bonnet production. Jamaica and other Caribbean nations have more experience than Dominican Republic as far as pepper production. Hector says they harvest every 8 days for 18 months in Dominican Republic. This only means they pick more often. The top pepper farmers do two pickings and then plow the field under and re-plant. This gives you more volume. They start fields at different intervals so there is always a field producing. So while you are planting one another is a month away and another is almost ready. So the Brain Trust that is picking every 8 days is not getting more. And they are not picking every 8 days because almighty God or their JU JU priests made the Dominican Republic have the greatest adaptable genetic evolutionary climate. Adaptation of any species takes centuries and not a few years.

Sorry about last paragraph in last post. I just edited it. Really burned me when Hector told Potawie a respected grower he would explain in Sesame Street terms. I reacted. I am human.

Back