• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not Naga Viper But Genuine Testing!

What are the standards for Guinness? If none of your peppers beat the maximum value recorded for the inifinty, then you won't get recognized, correct?

dorsets should be comparable to heat in comparison to any of those mentioned by you diabolus. never heard of dorsets going beyond 1.1m, but who am i to say what's what? =D

Hey hab500, did you happen to record or test the chocolate Trinidad scorpion? As the chocolates are typically hotter than average, they may not be natural but they have been made to be stable. I feel that the choc scorp is hotter, from experience.

Why would he test anything else?
Or want anyone else to test anything else.
He's promoting the Naga Viper Hybrids....

I don't think that's right. Hab500 is testing genuine Trinidad strains with the scorpion in particular providing the most promising and consistent results thus far. Unless I missed something, I don't believe he has anything to do with the Viper.

Yeah it was just curiosity. I actually powdered some scoria today, got some in my eyes, which was obviously going to happen... I was actually blinded for 10 minutes. Not pleasant. Good news is I finish powdering them and I have a full shaker of powder and some dried 7pods on the way.

It does interest me to know how hot the chocolate scoria are as a figure.

Well I will answer some questions here. Did not test Brown Scorps because I did not grow them but will test this year. Infinity was accepted without data unless you consider 1 Warwick test data. Just remember Guinness can do what they want for they are Independent. And Guinness does not scientifically verify data. If it looks good they can accept it. Infinity is a 7 Pot and it was not grown by the man who submitted it. Remember only one test and one test means nothing. Even multiple test of a sample means nothing unless you have a third party verification. We went with Analytical Food labs in Prairieview, Texas. The top lab in the country for capsaicin other than Marlin. So I think we did proper Third party verification. We came in above Infinity chile or we would not submit. Now for the good news. This season we are teaming up with Bosland. One of his assistants is going to document the Horticulture aspect in our field while Marlin does the Capsaicin extraction and testing. Two sauce makers are introducing Scorpion sauces and both will be used to fundraise for Chile Pepper Institute and chile research. So everyone is coming together finally. If we find something hotter than Scorpion it will be this season. Also will re-test all species we already did to gather more data. Just think all this started with me sending Scorpion pods to Dave De Witt in 2009. The Superhots are finally getting respect. And it may take years but this is going to take the spice and sauce world to another dimension!

Good for you Jim, Its good to see someone doing it ethically. By the looks of it there will have only been 2 genuine, correctly tested world record holders.
Boslands Bhut and Jims Trinidad Scorpion.
How long untill you submit it to Guinness Jim?

It has already been submitted, Sandgroper. About two weeks ago. I don't know how long it takes for Guinness to make a decision, though.

According to Woody the Infinity is a Trinidad scorpion crossed with a 7-pot. Woody apparently grew the "record holding" pepper but a third party submitted it for testing without his knowledge :(

I really don't know what the Infinity is. Matt Simpson of Simpson seeds says he grew it and it's a 7 Pot and someone took his pods and submitted them at Warwick under their name. As far as it being a cross well that means it does not exist. What do I mean by that? We are looking at at least 5 years of doing botany work to stabilize it and genetic testing to confirm it. We cannot say we have a new pepper unless we really have a new pepper. So whether it's Infinity or Naga Viper if it cannot be duplicated year after year it's not a new pepper. So in my opinion it should be called Scorpion Viper strain or 7 pot Infinity strain. Not a new pepper. And let me point out something here. If I wanted to make the hottest cross I would not cross a naga or a Bhut with a Scorpion. Because it would lower the Scoville rating. FYI Naga Morich, Dorset Naga and Bhut Jolokia rarely go above 600,000 Scoville rating. Scorpions average between 800,000 to 1,200,000. 7 Pots average between 700,000 to 1,100,000. I know lots of hot sauce makers and an importer of Bhut Jolokia most of material they get of Bhuts and Nagas comes it at a scorching 400,000. Louisiana Pepper Exchange has Bhut mash and it is around 400,000. So why would I take a lower rated pepper and cross it with a higher rated pepper?? It would not make a hotter pepper. It might sound cool oooooh I have a Bhut/Naga/ Scorpion pepper! Same reason I would not breed a Terrier with a Mastiff to get a bigger Mastiff!! More FYI. Gerald submitted about 16 pods to Warwick. 15 out of 16 came in way under 1,000,000. 1 pod and I mean 1 pod topped over 1,300,000. Sound fishy?? You be the judge. How do I know this?? Chile Pepper Institute contacted Warwick and thats what Warwick told them. Also Chile Pepper Institute asked Gerald (who is a member) for Naga Viper seeds. Gerald declined. I may not participate on this forum like most of you. But what I like about this forum are there are real intelligent growers on here. I have learned much from some of you. And I am grateful. I did not write on this topic to slam Gerald so I could get more seed sales for myself. Believe me I have enough business I don't need to put down my competition to get more. I have 30,000 seeds germinating in a Greenhouse right now if that will give you an idea of where my business is going. When we get Official notice from Guinness I will post it. When we get results from 2011 Field testing I will post it. In the meantime buyer beware of made up species and new names for varieties that nobody has ever heard of. You don't have to ever buy from me. In fact if you want great seeds from an ethical person besides me I suggest you buy from Pepper Lover here in the states or Neal (THSC) or Candace (Wildfire chilli) if you live on the other side of the world. Take care:)

Back