• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Now I have too many seeds thanks to Pepperlover.com

i made an order last year for some Giant Jalapeno, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend, and Chocolate Habaneros. I got about 30 plants going to far from them, so I ordered some more. I orderd Trinidad Douglah, and more Giant Jalapeno. Well, they send me two extra packs of seeds, Red Bhut's, and Yellow Bhut's!! So now I'm in a dilema about what to grow. I have a 10x20 space in my garden for my peppers. I was thinking of 3 rows of 10, or maybe 4 rows of 10. I also have two Red Bhut's in hanging baskets to go back in the ground as well. I was thinking of a row of the Scorpions, a row of Giant Jalapeno, a row of Chocolate Habs, and then a row of both Red and Yellow Bhuts (including the two I have already).

First, let's get this straight - there is no such thing as too many seeds! ;)

When you say "a row", how many plants is that for you? What I'm finding is that I'm reducing the number of varieties I have going, and instead am increasing the number of plants per variety. I still have a few onesies and twosies, so I do keep trying new varieties, but as I find a good "fit" for a given variety, I up the number of that one the following year. Depends upon how much space you have and what you plan to do with your crop, of course.

Well I too have extra peppers to plant here as well. I just got my pepperlover order today and got 3 free packs of seeds. I have to agree with geeme..can you have too many pepper plants? I would say if you can maintain them go with 4x10. If you run out of room how about growing some in pots too. Either way I say it is a nice problem to have as I will have to get a couple plants started of these free seed packs as well. Have a great 2013 grow!!

I know what you are talking about. I have about 50 baggies/varieties of seeds that I won't be using this season. I admit to having poor impulse control.

you wont plant too much chinenses in 10x20 area....
i think you should space them at 3 feet appart so maybe in the end this lead to a matrix of about 3 row by 7 approx...

for sure those jalapeno or any other annuum you can compact them a bit...
depends also if you want to move in this small pepper garden... you must keep a place to walk to pick peppers...

they can grow preety huge....

you could also put them in big plastic pot.... this way you can move them if it's too crowdy or put some on the patio, stairss anywhere around the house...
food for toughts

you wont plant too much chinenses in 10x20 area....
i think you should space them at 3 feet appart so maybe in the end this lead to a matrix of about 3 row by 7 approx...

for sure those jalapeno or any other annuum you can compact them a bit...
depends also if you want to move in this small pepper garden... you must keep a place to walk to pick peppers...

they can grow preety huge....

you could also put them in big plastic pot.... this way you can move them if it's too crowdy or put some on the patio, stairss anywhere around the house...
food for toughts
I leave a space to ground crawl under mine. They were so big last year walking between them was impossible but attacking from under the canopy was perfect!

I'd pick 3 or so plants from those 4 kinds you have and focus on those.

10x20 seems kinda small for 30 rockin plants.

You could have 12 plants throwing off mad pods in a 10x20 though.

It's great that she includes varieties that you'd be interested in and might not have with her free seeds. The place I used to order from only included Jalapeno, Serrano, and Santa Fe Grande every time.

I leave a space to ground crawl under mine. They were so big last year walking between them was impossible but attacking from under the canopy was perfect!

How close together did you plant them?

Yep she added two or three to mine as well that I wouldn't have thought of growing...darn you judy and your overly giving nature;)

I now have lots of seeds from my peppers last season.

Im just wondering if you can dry them out too long, that is to say leave them in the windowsill too long and cause damage? Im worried they might have been dried improperly (first timer).

Hey LordPepper, I think it depends on how hot they got. From what I've read, when you dehydrate peppers in a dehydrator, that they won't germinate. I did that with all my peppers last year and kept all the seeds (until i read that).

Guilty myself.I too have started way more than I can plant. Add in my overwinters an I'm certifiable nuts!Pushing 318 if all seedlings come up and I don't add more types. I'll post some shots when they make their first appearances.

You don't have to space the rows too far apart if you do a bit of work with the plant as it grows. This is a picture from Marco "Megamastger's" grow thread. I believe the plant belongs to Luigi, a friend of Marco's. He trains his plants to grow upward, not outward. I'm not sure how he does it, some kind of string I imagine. Anyway you'll notice the plant appears to be less than two feet across which means you could get several rows and have room to pick them in a 10x20 plot.

598355_222433971222829_922725332_n.jpg

I may try this on a plant or two this year. Too cool looking not to.

hmm, thanks for the tip Patrick!! I think I might try that this year. I wasn't too worried about my Jalapenos getting to be too much, but all the other ones will get pretty bushy.

Back