• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NuMex Heritage chiles

The red ones, of course, are the green ones turned late in the season. I have never been able to tell the difference in taste of the different varieties in red. The red chiles have a sweeter taste. They are also a little more difficult to peel. My favorite of all is when the chile is transitioning to red and is half green and half red. This is called "pinto". There is about one or two weeks at the end of the season when the "pintos" are out and they are to die for. For some reason, they seem hotter to me also. This may not make sense to the techie growers, but I my experience is they are sweeter and hotter. We use the red chile pods to make red enchilada sauce or dry them out for enchilada powder. Red enchilada sauce is a great marinade too.

Hey bjs2006. Getting back on topic, I have emailed the place I get my chiles, Hatch Chile Express, to see if they are growing the Heritage chiles. I do know they sell their own seeds and I'm trying to find out more about NMSU's Heritage. This is the family that developed the original Big Jim chile.

I'm anxiously awaiting the heritage sandias which are supposed to be released in 2011 but that could mean after the 2011 growing season, but hopefully its this winter or spring.

This is the only place I was able to find the Heritage Big Jims for sale this year. They are the ones that originally partnered with NMSU to grow the test plots and develop the seed. Hopefully next year there will be more farmers growing it. When I asked the farmers in hatch about it this year, they told me that it is just a marketing gimmick because you have to buy the more expensive seed from one source at this point. They all said something along the lines of "I would put my strain of chile that I grow head to head against the Heritage and I think it would be just as tasty" The more people that ask for it the better chances someone else will start growing it. 90% of the people I have asked about it don’t even know it exists or even really care. They just want green chile hot or medium or mild.

Biad Chile Co.

I grew them this year. They are great! I severely overcrowded my garden though, so only got two HBJ plants to produce and did not get many pods (my H6-4's did much better), but have a better plan for 2011.

Did anyone end up growing the Heritage Big Jims? How were they? Any news on Heritage Sandias for this coming year?

I bought the NuMex Heriatge 6-4 several months ago from the Pepper Institute. along with the NuMex Jalmundo and Vaquero jalapeno. The Pepper Institute is a reputable source. and I have bought from them in the past with confidence. I' planted the Jalmundo on Dec. 27th, just waiting for germination. It's all good my friend. .

You guys that use the New Mexico and Anaheim type chilis to make New Mexico style chili verde, which chilis do you use?

I use the Sandia hot green, for pork, chicken or beef. I buy 90 pounds, of fresh green each year; They are then roasted and frozen, they last me one year. It's all good my friend.

I grew NuMex Heritage 6-4 this summer. They were really good, I wish they were bigger though.
I will grow them again along with the NuMex Heritage Big Jim.

I emailed CPI asking if the Heritage Sandias would be released this year. Here is the reply.

Hi Brian, unfortunately we are behind a year on our research because all of our data was lost in the 2010 growing season, we hope to release it within the next year.

Back