• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Nutrient Issues?

I did see a few other topics on calcium deficiency, but I'm not sure there were any definitive answers. Also, I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, so I'm starting this one.

These photos are actually a couple of weeks old and I have since transplanted to larger pots. But, they still look the same. From other threads, I'm guessing this is due to a nutrient lock from over fertilizating? Or, is it just natural for these types of peppers?

I saw someone mentioned using a foliar spray if it is nutrient lock. Is that just epsom salt and water?

I don't remember which ones are which, but these are either all or one of the following peppers....Devil's Tongue, Trinidad Scorpion, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, and/or Bhut Jolokia.

Besides the wrinkled leaves, the plant in the top middle edge of the photo is having issues also. I'm not sure if you can tell, but it has leaf curl, curling under. This is only happening to my Manzano peppers though.

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

b3e9b162.jpg

ac2ee561.jpg

74f5f88b.jpg

Thanks

Is this because of a nutrient lock, or just straight up calcium deficiancy? I have fertilized them often. Probably every other watering with, between half and full dosage of MG Tomato food. I'm going to guess that they are over fertilized also. Because I didn't really allow them to take the nutrients from the soil (MG Moisture Control) before fert'ing. Just guessing.

Miracle Grow is not organic so it is more potent and from what you described I would say it is over fertilized but I will let the experts comment on this one.
Even without nutrient lock it would still be deficient in Calcium as there is none in the MG tomato food I have.

I would say flush them with lots of water, preferably pH adjusted or use distilled water and let them recover.

I'd give it both Mg & Ca in low doses just to be sure (previous post suggests CalMag and I concur). Flush that solo cup with plain water first in case you've got a little too much of something building up salt-wise. Personally I'd make the feeding solution 1/2 strength whatever you've been giving it and 1/4 -1/3 stength CalMag at around an eC of 0.7 mS.

I usually raise the light up a few inches when things like this used to happen to make life easier on the little guys for a couple days.
Good luck!

**To clarify my comment - the solution with both nutes and added CalMag should be around 0.7 eC assuming you are starting with water under 0.2 mS. An eC of 0.7 is around 500 ppm from what I remember when I used to use that type of TDS meter.

I have some random plants that look similar to the top pick, even though they all have the same soil/nuts and water schedule.

Try flushing the soil! Slow water till it comes out then keep watering and watering and watering. Then let it completely dry out and water againg with 1/4 strength nutes. See how the nee growth looks as once the leaves look this way they will always look like that just look for normal new growtg

Personally I'd make the feeding solution 1/2 strength whatever you've been giving it and 1/4 -1/3 stength CalMag at around an eC of 0.7 mS.

Good point. Starting at full strength per the label instructions is not a good idea. Start at 1/4 and work your way up.
I still think the label mixing rate tells you the strength it says so they can sell more product, but maybe I am wrong.

Try flushing the soil! Slow water till it comes out then keep watering and watering and watering. Then let it completely dry out and water againg with 1/4 strength nutes. See how the nee growth looks as once the leaves look this way they will always look like that just look for normal new growtg

Since then I have transplanted them into large pots. Probably about two weeks ago now. I haven't fed them since then. I'm guessing that the new soil is not loaded with the fert from before. So, I should be good to go just adding the Calcium, right?

Good point. Starting at full strength per the label instructions is not a good idea. Start at 1/4 and work your way up.
I still think the label mixing rate tells you the strength it says so they can sell more product, but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks Mike. I notice you are close to where I live. Have you bought any calcium from local stores? I'm thinking about checking Navlet's or Lowes...something like that.

Thanks Mike. I notice you are close to where I live. Have you bought any calcium from local stores? I'm thinking about checking Navlet's or Lowes...something like that.

Yes, I just bought some Botanicare Cal-Mag from the hydro store here in town. The only calcium at Lowes that I have seen was Miracle Grow and as far as I am concerned their products suck. :lol:

Looks like Cal Mag comes in an 8oz. bottle for $16 at sears. How long does this stuff last? I have about 40 plants.

What I've been seeing here on the forums, it is best to use about 1/4th of what the label says to use, right? If so, then it looks like about .25 tbs per gallon of water. How much of that gallon do you give a 7 gallon container?

Thanks!

Looks like Cal Mag comes in an 8oz. bottle for $16 at sears. How long does this stuff last? I have about 40 plants.

What I've been seeing here on the forums, it is best to use about 1/4th of what the label says to use, right? If so, then it looks like about .25 tbs per gallon of water. How much of that gallon do you give a 7 gallon container?

Thanks!

That is something I guess nobody can answer as it's your call. I personally just mixed up 3 gallons the other day and split it up among the 15 container plants I have.
I water them while counting and give each one roughly 7-10 seconds of water each so that I am splitting it up somewhat evenly.

Sears website, not Sears itself.............third party vendor. Depends on how often you use it.

True. Many places are doing this now. I guess they are following Amazon's way of selling things.

I got the General Organics CaMg 0-0-0. You should pick some up and hit em full strength after you flushed. The new growth will come in nice and the other leaves will start to look a little better but the wrinkles won't come completely out. Plus you can give em that stuff every watering/feeding. Can't burn your plants with it.

Yes "nutes" are in tap water. Let's take a look at what "nutrients" are. They are elements. Calcium is a secondary macronutrient and it is sometimes found in tap water in high amounts. sulfur and magnesium are secondary macronutrients aswell. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are all primary macronutrients. Things like zinc, molybdenum, ect.. are micronutrients.

noteThat is why there are different micronutrient products for "hard" water.

Yes "nutes" are in tap water. Let's take a look at what "nutrients" are. They are elements. Calcium is a secondary macronutrient and it is sometimes found in tap water in high amounts. sulfur and magnesium are secondary macronutrients aswell. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are all primary macronutrients. Things like zinc, molybdenum, ect.. are micronutrients.

noteThat is why there are different micronutrient products for "hard" water.

I'm guessing that my water doesn't have the necessary nutes because my plants are wrinkled OR the water does have nutes, and because I fertilized often without letting the fert in the soil get used up first they have nutrient lock.

That said, MotoMike gave me the idea of looking for hydroponic stores in my area. So, I picked up a gallon of Cal-Mag and hit a few plants with a half of a gallon each.

Is there a way to test the water for those nutes?

Edit: SNAP! I just realized that the lady at the store told me the wrong amount to add to the water. I believe she said to put 2 tsp's per gallon and then use a 1/2 gallon per plant (container). Will over doing it once cause any issues?

Back