• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2015

Hey everbody. Well I'm still working out of town and have been living in my 17ft travel trailer for the past 5 months. I've got some Jigsaw's soaking and when I get back home this weekend I'll start some more.
Tepin x Lemons are on the list. Thanks to Mike (smileyguy697) for this fantastic pepper. I've got some others on my mind as well, just can't decide. I will be doing SIP and raised beds again this year. Hope all is well out there in the community. Here's to 2015 grow and good luck to you all.
View attachment 18685

stickman said:

I know the feeling... my wife works a 60 hour work week at her non-profit as often as not, so the cooking falls to me mostly. She says the other women where she works are often jealous when she heats up her lunch, but we can't help that. ;)

Y'know, they say a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work... :D
It most definitely is. I need to start eating more healthier choices. Gained a few pounds working out of town. More fish and veggies.

maximumcapsicum said:
Great pics Chuck! Makes me want to do some BBQ, just haven't had any time. The plants look great! Glad they're being well cared for.

Got a batch of woozy bottles in here too. Saucemakin month is almost here!
I love to bbq. Even in the Winter. I haven't made any new sauce yet. Need to, I'm almost out.

Here's some pics. Plants are ok. It's been really hot. 101 today. View attachment 24528 View attachment 24529 View attachment 24530 View attachment 24531 View attachment 24532 View attachment 24534 View attachment 24535 View attachment 24536 View attachment 24537 View attachment 24538 View attachment 24539 View attachment 24540 View attachment 24541 View attachment 24542 View attachment 24543 View attachment 24544 View attachment 24545 View attachment 24546 View attachment 24547
This is my Prik. It's turning purple. LOL!
View attachment 24548
Goats Weed turning. View attachment 24549
This is a pic of a red Hab plant at the indoor shop. This plant is over 5ft wide, in a 2gal pot. Beautiful. View attachment 24550

Some pics from the job site. It's beautiful up there. Except around midday the mosquito, Deer fly, and horse fly's come out to feast. View attachment 24551 View attachment 24552 View attachment 24553 View attachment 24554 View attachment 24555 View attachment 24556
A really tiny deer we almost stepped on at the site. View attachment 24557

Well that's all for now. It's starting to cool off. I'm going to mix some nutes and feed. I'll try and get a couple more plants potted up. The plants in the raised beds, are in full sun most of the day. I need to make some sort of shade for them. I might have a couple weeks off at the end of this week. I guess it'll give me some time to finish some projects. I'd rather be working. Hope your weekend's are going well.

Enjoy life. It's precious.

Chuck

Nice healthy looking plants, will be interested to see how the smart pots work for you this year.  I have 2 going again so will see if I notice much difference this time.

Beautiful scenery at your job site.  What are you doing out there?    This picture of the fawn is pretty nice.

Have a great weekend and fathers day!

bpwilly said:
Nice healthy looking plants, will be interested to see how the smart pots work for you this year.  I have 2 going again so will see if I notice much difference this time.

Beautiful scenery at your job site.  What are you doing out there?    This picture of the fawn is pretty nice.

+1 on that! It must have been a wet spring out there this year... when I was living along the front range it would usually start to really dry out around now. By July 4th the short grass prairie would start to yellow.

Nice looking plants too Chuck, keep on keepin' on!

bpwilly said:

Thanks Bill. I think the smart pots will work. I drenched them really good. I wish I had them on a drip system. I know, I know. I've been talking about a drip system for a year now. Need more time. LOL. We are exposing and inspecting a old gas line.

stickman said:

+1 on that! It must have been a wet spring out there this year... when I was living along the front range it would usually start to really dry out around now. By July 4th the short grass prairie would start to yellow.

Nice looking plants too Chuck, keep on keepin' on!
We have had constant rain lately. Now no rain and triple digits. It won't be long before everything turns brown.

Ozzy2001 said:
Those nature pics are awesome. Reminds me of last year in Steamboat for my cousins wedding. So pretty.
That's funny. I'm currently near Steamboat. I will be there by the end of the week.

Repotted some plants this last weekend. I'm a little uneasy. It's been triple digits at home. We shall see at the end of the week. View attachment 24764 View attachment 24765

They all look good considering the heat.  I know that would wilt this Pacific Northwest guy!  Nice job, and your plants sure look well taken care of.  Love the looks of the area your working in.  Beautiful scenery.

bpwilly said:
They all look good considering the heat.  I know that would wilt this Pacific Northwest guy!  Nice job, and your plants sure look well taken care of.  Love the looks of the area your working in.  Beautiful scenery.
Thanks Bill. I haven't called home yet to see how everything is, but the heat I know is intense. I like working here as well. I like it a lot better as opposed to Aspen. The people are more friendly here. Hope all is well in your part of town. I haven't been able to fallow like I want to. Internet connection is poor as well as data. I'm in town posting this as we speak. LOL

stickman said:
As long as they get enough water, the plants should love the heat... they'll drop flowers like crazy though. We're pullin' for ya Chuck! :)
Thanks bud. I took some pics last night. A little sun burn here and there. SIP's are doing the best. Same as last year. View attachment 25019 View attachment 25020 View attachment 25021 View attachment 25022 View attachment 25023 View attachment 25024 View attachment 25025 View attachment 25026 View attachment 25027 View attachment 25028 View attachment 25029 View attachment 25030 View attachment 25031 View attachment 25032 View attachment 25033 View attachment 25034

Some deer hanging outside the trailer yesterday morning. View attachment 25035 View attachment 25036

About like I expected, they're getting enough water so they look very good Chuck! Maybe next year you might put down plastic mulch on top of the raised bed(s) before transplanting outside. It makes for a warmer micro-climate early and late in the season and greatly slows evaporation of water in the sun. The only drawbacks are the expense, disposing of the used plastic mulch at the end of the season, and getting water into the soil when it's not raining. These days I use drip irrigation next to the plants or a soaker hose laid underneath the plastic and a hose timer. Before that I uncapped and cut the bottoms off of half-liter water bottles and buried them between every other plant to act as funnels for watering. That way the water didn't run off of the plastic and it soaked in next to the roots where it would do the most good. It's a handy way to add liquid nutes as well.

I wanted to take your advise, but didn't get any time to set it up due to working out of town. I think I'll build more raised beds next year. Raised beds and SIP's are my top choices, since I never have the time to mend native soil. The SIP's are in my opinion, container gardening at its best. Makes my life a lot easier.

Roguejim said:
I opt for mulch rather than black plastic. Little expense, nothing to throw away, easy to work with, and it feeds the soil.
Thanks for the tip Jim. I'll look into it. I don't know what there selling for mulch around here. Does it work good in extreme Summer? Our temps are going to be upper 90's to 100 most of the next couple months and dry. I hope I'm wrong. But the past couple years have been hot here.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the tip Jim. I'll look into it. I don't know what there selling for mulch around here. Does it work good in extreme Summer? Our temps are going to be upper 90's to 100 most of the next couple months and dry. I hope I'm wrong. But the past couple years have been hot here.
100+F dry heat here going into next week.  Same last Summer.  Check out my latest post #578.  That'll answer your question about mulch, I think.  Bump, too, if you wouldn't mind! :P

D3monic said:
some nice looking bucks. I'd be hard pressed not to grab the bow and have some meat in the freeze. 
I hear ya. I love wild game. I don't do much hunting anymore. If I do it's just for food not sport. I know enough people who hunt and they'll give away a bunch before the next season.

maximumcapsicum said:
Awesome pics and great grow as always! Love the watering system on those buckets. I am thinking about setting up something similar on my smartpots with a two liter bottle.
Thanks Adam. That means a lot, coming from a master urban gardener such as yourself. I filled another SIP this evening. Decided to show the process. It's hard to over/under water using the SIP. As far as containers go, there my top choice. View attachment 25309 View attachment 25310 View attachment 25311 View attachment 25312

Back home for the weekend. 3 day weekend. The plants are doing well. I'm going to put up some shade cloth on my raised beds. SIP's are shifting gears. I wish I had a longer season. These plants would get huge in Florida or So Cal. Anyways here's some pics.

View attachment 25313 View attachment 25314 View attachment 25315 View attachment 25316 View attachment 25317 View attachment 25318 View attachment 25319 View attachment 25320 View attachment 25321 View attachment 25322 View attachment 25323 View attachment 25324 View attachment 25325 View attachment 25326 View attachment 25327 View attachment 25328 View attachment 25329

Stopped by the local thrift store and found a $5 Aerogarden.
View attachment 25330

Jimmy Nardello double pod
View attachment 25331

Bad pic of some elk I spotted off the side of the road.
View attachment 25337

Have a great weekend.

Happy Fourth of July.

great score on the Aerogarden.  That's badass.  I absolutely love mine.  I just cleared out a couple of plants out of it.  I'm finally getting around to germinating some of those seeds you gave me.  Only had on paper towels 2 days and already have 2 taproots  :party: .  In the Aerogarden they are going.

Ozzy2001 said:
great score on the Aerogarden.  That's badass.  I absolutely love mine.  I just cleared out a couple of plants out of it.  I'm finally getting around to germinating some of those seeds you gave me.  Only had on paper towels 2 days and already have 2 taproots  :party: .  In the Aerogarden they are going.
What kind of seeds you germinate. whatever they are I hope they grow true. All my seeds are OP. I assume the same from seeds I get from others. The cool thing is, you might get a crazy cross. Thanks for stopping by. I will head over to your Glog later. Hope all is well. Off on my motorcycle this morning.

Have a happy Fourth of July!

Back