• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 140
tctenten said:
Good luck with the critters. I am sure that I kill a fair amount of friendly bugs when I see them on my plants. I need to really brush up on who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.
Thanks Terry. I'm trying not to hurt any friendly's. I try and research the best I can before going drastic.
N8thaniel said:
good luck with the compost tea, hopefully things will green up

especially those young ones look to me like they are hurtin for some nitrogen 

unfortunately outdoors sacrifices to the insect gods must be made, it's the cost of doing business i think
Yeah Nate, I suppose one has to give a little. I just would like to get some peppers for seed. The Tepin's got sunburned. Their starting to green up. The Aji's in the ground are not liking the full sun as well. I was going to hit them with some Epsom, but that would only please the eye. I mixed some organic fertilizer and iron in the hole, when I transplanted. So when they start greening up, I'll know their roots have stretched. I might have to put some shade cloth up. They look a little greener this evening. It's been 100f/37c in the shade. The tomatoes are the only plants that seem unphased. Thanks for stopping by.
Devv said:
Yeah, the grasshoppers have moved into my garden as well. I locked the birds out, so they're having a party!
But the birds do more damage (to tomatoes), I started thinning things out this morning and the bird netting is about 2 weeks from being removed. If you grow organic, some will always go to the "locals". So I just plant more..LOL
I suppose, I'll have to share. Thanks for the tip. You putting up the shade cloth yet?

Well I got my drip system all done. The back yard plants are all on drip and timer.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

My hydro babies are recovering from the damage I cause breaking up the roots. Let them go to long. I'll keep these in pot's. I have a feeling I'll be finishing them off indoors. These are the only Super's I'm growing this year. Genghis Khan, SRTSL X BBG, and Jays Red.
image.jpeg

That's it for this weekend. I need to dehydrate a couple pounds of frozen pod's.

Maybe some grillin, don't know.

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Looks good from my house Chuck! You're off to a great start ;)

Liking the auto irrigation setup! I wish I could use one here. I have 3 timers in the shop that are jammed up with mineral deposits. I've tried vinegar, A product I think is called CLE, Iron out...no luck. They last me 2 months...

I put the shade cloth up in mid May when I saw the first maters start to turn, which was a bit early. Shade cloth up , bird netting on all four sides to lock it down. So as far as the maters went, we had just a few with BER, all San Marzano's. The Early Girl's did great, I use them because we have a short season before the heat sets in. These get up and go real quick. We did lose about 15-20 gallons worth due to the heavy rains. If one touched the ground it went south, but we won with shear numbers. 60 qts canned as of today. It's winding down. Looks like a fall pepper crop for most. I have a few sweets and hots podded up, but the real harvest will be later on. It's all good

Thanks Scott.

If that timer doesn't last, I might have to look into rainbird type of unit. I'm really liking not having to manually water. I installed manual valves for turning off sections.

I'm going to give my in ground chile's a chance to tough it out. If not I'll have to put up some shade. A neighbor gave me a huge section of that green stuff they put up on construction fence's. It stretches 6ft. I really need to get them dang hoops built. Then I can see if I want to cover that area. My back yard is coming along. I'll have a bunch of space soon. Already moved a huge wood pile. One more to go. Once the privacy fence is done, I'll be able to get a good picture of what I'm working with.

I have a bunch of San Marzano's. Most of the tomatoes are flowering as we speak. Do you just feed with more calcium to counter the BER, or is it sometimes inevitable?

You can mostly stop it altogether, for 81 plants maybe 20 San Marzano's  tomatoes had BER. None of the Early Girl plants had it, zero! If I don't treat I lose 35-40% of the Early Girls. And all of the San Marzano's. Roma's did me even worse. What I did was use Calmag. It's like $20 a gallon, and after 4 years I have 2/3rds left, and I plant a lot of maters, 48 plants or more. Mix 1 once per gallon of water and use a standard watering can, apply in the morning before the sun is hitting them. Try for twice a week if you can. It really works. Adding it in a watering solution did not work. Another thing I do for maters is to have them in 1# pots (3 quart size?) and about 14 to 18"s tall when I stick them in the dirt. When they sprout they go into a solo cup. I place them at the bottom of the cup, as they grow up and out of the cup, I add soil, until the cup is full. All that stem turns to root. I do the same when they get placed in the 1# pots. When they hit the garden I dig a 45° trench that follows the flood ditch I create to water and bury all but the top 2 leaves and the crown. I cut off all the lower leaves. When I plant they are just starting to flower, but now they're 3-4"s tall, but they take off like crazy as all that I buried turns to root. Another thing. Once it gets to where it's hitting the 90's during the day fruit setting is really poor if any at all. Which is why I do things the way I do. I put them out when the lows are above 40° in the 10 day forecast.

Tomatoes, I have down. Peppers I'm still learning, but getting there. I did figure out they need to wait 30 days later than maters before dirt day here for best performance, but that's here...

I like the 2-zone hose timer and drip irrigation setup Chuck! I hope your water isn't so hard you have problems later. I wonder if they make a hose timer with a sacrificial anode like they put in hot water heaters where the water is extremely hard. :think:

I've never had problems with elevated soil pH, but it sounds like Scott's giving some great experience-based advice. :)

stickman said:
I like the 2-zone hose timer and drip irrigation setup Chuck! I hope your water isn't so hard you have problems later. I wonder if they make a hose timer with a sacrificial anode like they put in hot water heaters where the water is extremely hard. :think:

I've never had problems with elevated soil pH, but it sounds like Scott's giving some great experience-based advice. :)
Thanks Rick.

You've given me an idea. I have a couple injector/filter units. I wonder if I could make something to fit into the injector filter. Those anodes are magnesium, I've got pretty good mad scientist skills.

Yes, Scott been doing this for awhile, as yourself. My gardening skills, is the result of both your guys technique.

I kinda feel like a young Jedi.

Thanks again for your guys help.

I finally got my hoop bender in use. I lik the way they came out. Not perfect, but I'm learning. One thing I did learn was, I need my little assistant, to hold the pipe flat, so I don't get a cork screw. Thought I easily show this. I might post a DIY hoop house thread, when I get more materials together. Taking lots of pics along the way. Im lost without my helper. They will spring into form when installed in box. FYI $20 a hoop. May get cheaper if I can find a better price.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 59
stickman said:
Nice job Chuck! I like how you figured it out on your own instead of buying a hoop bender somewhere. Are you going with 2 rows per row cover?
I don't know, Rick. I have to see how much room I have. i might cover the garden area and leave a exposed section of the garden for other veggies and herbs. The Super's are the only real problem. All the other veggies have a short maturity date. I want to plant a garlic bed this year as well. I really need to sit down and draw something out. Those hoops are on average, 6ft tall and 12ft wide. They don't look it in the picture, but I can stand under one no problem. I'm 6'1.

Update!

I just went out to see what it would look like against the garden. I couldn't have planned it any better. Fits right within the current plot.
image.jpeg

Very cool Chuck!

I too use the my trailer as a work bench ;) Is the tool you made a bender, or a form? Electrical conduit? 

Glad you have a helper ;)

Devv said:
Very cool Chuck!

I too use the my trailer as a work bench ;) Is the tool you made a bender, or a form? Electrical conduit? 

Glad you have a helper ;)
Thanks Scott

It's a simple form that you mount to a flat surface. The strips of wood is for supporting the pipe as you push it through. I using 1 3/8 top rail fence. I think 10'6. For my bender two pieces equals a hoop. My bender says it will bend 1in conduit as well. Here is what I want to build, but longer. Link to hoop benders. Mines the DY series. http://www.hoopbenders.net/

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 70
OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Scott

It's a simple form that you mount to a flat surface. The strips of wood is for supporting the pipe as you push it through. I using 1 3/8 top rail fence. I think 10'6. For my bender two pieces equals a hoop. My bender says it will bend 1in conduit as well. Here is what I want to build, but longer. Link to hoop benders. Mines the DY series. http://www.hoopbenders.net/

I think you might want to use longer pieces of top rail and leave the bottoms of the hoop straight  like in the picture Chuck... otherwise the plants on the outside edges of the plot will be rubbing against the hoophouse cover when they get bigger.

It's a lot easier to get a cork screw bend with a longer piece. They don't recommend it. I'm planning on building a frame and inserting post to raise the hoop, in return building a wall. This guy did the same thing. Looks like he used a low tunnel hoop and made the walls high with longer posts. Mine will only be a couple foot rise.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 70
OCD Chilehead said:
It's a lot easier to get a cork screw bend with a longer piece. They don't recommend it. I'm planning on building a frame and inserting post to raise the hoop, in return building a wall. This guy did the same thing. Looks like he used a low tunnel hoop and made the walls high with longer posts. Mine will only be a couple foot rise.

Ah, I should have known you'd be on top of it... :)

stickman said:
Ah, I should have known you'd be on top of it... :)
I took notes when Stefan(meatfreak) was talking about having that problem with the plants to close to the sidewalls on his hoop house. I thought if one doesn't build a wall, one could plant garlic or something that doesn't need much maintenance.

Thanks for the input. Hope you had a great day.

I would love to build what you are building there some day, but have to wait until I have a property with more yard in the back that can be hidden from the street.  Plants all looking good and still love those hexagon planters you have, nice how they interlock together almost.

moruga welder said:
everything looks great my friend !
Thanks man.
jcw10tc said:
I would love to build what you are building there some day, but have to wait until I have a property with more yard in the back that can be hidden from the street.  Plants all looking good and still love those hexagon planters you have, nice how they interlock together almost.
Let's hope you get your greenhouse someday. The plants are finding their pace. I'm going to be bummed out when those containers expire. Can't find any replacements.

Nothing much going on.

I mixed up 2oz of that liquid fence in my 5 gallon sprayer. I hope it does the trick. The leafhoppers have grown to adults quite quickly. Their running out of food to eat. Sprayed the whole yard.

On a different note. I found my first pod's.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 65
Back