• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 140
Garden is doing good. Cut down a couple tomato plants. Was really sick. May cut another. I think they're the same varieties. All the others look great. Pepper plants still beatin the heat. All my raised beds out front are not good for peppers. To much sun. Next year they will be converted to herb beds.

Garden shot today, after I gave them a foliar feeding of cal/mag.
image.jpeg

Goats weed. Im going to try and OW this one.
image.jpeg

Sick Tom
image.jpeg

Tepin. I think is diseased.
image.jpeg

These Tepin's are not liking the full sun to much. But here is a couple of pics of Not topped, topped, and tied down. I like the tied down effect the best. All the under growth thrives.

Non topped
image.jpeg

Topped
image.jpeg

Bondage (tied down)
image.jpeg

A different variety of Tepin. The same as the one with the ruffles with ridges look. Minus the ridges.
image.jpeg

A plant that I got called Super Chili Hybrid. Really tasty pod's.
image.jpeg

Trying my luck with crossing Goats Weed and Tepin.
image.jpeg

Beds
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Chi-Chien. Lots of pod's. Woohoo!
image.jpeg

Tomatillo
image.jpeg

Poor Chinese. Maybe they'll make it.
image.jpeg

That's it for today. Have a great weekend.

Chuck, you knocked it out of the park!

Firing on all cylinders, timing, nutes, etc. make for a lush garden. And that you have!

Did you plant the maters from seed or buy plants? 2012 was the last year I bought, after 50% died. Make sure the last thing you do during the day in the garden is to pull the bad plants, so you don't spread the bad juju.

Keep it green!

Devv said:
Chuck, you knocked it out of the park!

Firing on all cylinders, timing, nutes, etc. make for a lush garden. And that you have!

Did you plant the maters from seed or buy plants? 2012 was the last year I bought, after 50% died. Make sure the last thing you do during the day in the garden is to pull the bad plants, so you don't spread the bad juju.

Keep it green!
I purchased from nursery. It was actually a last minute decision to plant that many tomatoes. I was only going to have one row. I didn't want to plant all peppers in there. I wanted to see how other plants responded in the ground. Then I can make a comparison, as well as adjustment.

Thanks for the tips.

Spicegeist said:
Wow, look at that Chi-Chien!  :party:
Thanks Charles. I'm trying to find some varieties that work well in my climate. Hoping they taste good. Next year I'll have the hoop house up and running. I'm expecting larger plants and production. I'll still do a patch of Chinese varieties. I'll start them in January and plant in the ground sometime in March. Hoping for some big plants. This year I'll have to buy my Super's. Thanks for stopping by.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Charles. I'm trying to find some varieties that work well in my climate. Hoping they taste good. Next year I'll have the hoop house up and running. I'm expecting larger plants and production. I'll still do a patch of Chinese varieties. I'll start them in January and plant in the ground sometime in March. Hoping for some big plants. This year I'll have to buy my Super's. Thanks for stopping by.

I've been doing the same.  I tried growing a Thai Hot this year, but just couldn't give it enough sun to thrive.  Chinenses do better with the limited sun situation I have on my patio.

Spicegeist said:

I've been doing the same.  I tried growing a Thai Hot this year, but just couldn't give it enough sun to thrive.  Chinenses do better with the limited sun situation I have on my patio.

Devv said:
As well as you've done this year, I'm really looking forward to see your garden next year.

And Charles made a good point about the sun. That's probably my main issue, 100% all day. I now have a plan for next year ;)

If you've never experienced it, you'd never believe just how intense the sun can be up near the continental divide at around 6 or 7 thousand feet. When I was stationed along the front range in the early 80's, guys in my unit who had adequate suntans down below would still burn at that altitude. The air there is also extremely dry... I remember working hard or pedaling my bicycle on 90 degree days and coming home with a dry t-shirt covered with salt stains.

Spicegeist said:
Yeah, I hear ya. My best season ever was Chinese in the shade and that's after they dropped all their flowers 3 times.
Devv said:
As well as you've done this year, I'm really looking forward to see your garden next year.

And Charles made a good point about the sun. That's probably my main issue, 100% all day. I now have a plan for next year ;)
Since I made the rows, I lost most of my shade spot. Next year the shade cloth is going up most of the season.
stickman said:
If you've never experienced it, you'd never believe just how intense the sun can be up near the continental divide at around 6 or 7 thousand feet. When I was stationed along the front range in the early 80's, guys in my unit who had adequate suntans down below would still burn at that altitude. The air there is also extremely dry... I remember working hard or pedaling my bicycle on 90 degree days and coming home with a dry t-shirt covered with salt stains.
Your not kidding Rick. The Sun dry's and frys everything in its path. Not bad until about 11am, then it gets intense. I have a little patch of grass in the front yard. It's watered with irrigation. I soaked the piss out of it two days ago. Dying today. I'm thinking about hard scape next year. No more mowing and watering. I could use my time more wisely. I could go to the park if I want grass. LOL

I potted up the Chinese. Had 6 Srtsl X BBG and 3 Genghis Khan Brain's. Only one problem, I forgot which pot had the khans. LOL. Still have a Jays Red ghorpion and a Khan left. Need to find a home. I figured if they didn't produce before it gets to cold. I would throw them indoors under lights and see what happens.
Still upper 90's around here, was 59 last night.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 59
I pretty much gave up on growing tomatoes. I have a coupe volunteer plants this year but I always end up having to pull the plants because of disease. 
I may try one more time next year growing under plastic to keep the rain off them.   Cheers 

FreeportBum said:
I pretty much gave up on growing tomatoes. I have a coupe volunteer plants this year but I always end up having to pull the plants because of disease. 
I may try one more time next year growing under plastic to keep the rain off them.   Cheers
All the others are fine, for now. Scott said he starts his from seed every year. He lost a bunch buying from the stores. I might try from seed next year. My space is limited indoor for peppers.

It takes 10 weeks before they (maters) are in #1 pots and 12"s tall, I do my best to move them about the garden so they're not planted in the same spot. Same for peppers too. San Marzano's have been scratched from my grow list after this season. Early Girl's work great with my short season, year in year out. And Calmag is my friend ;) One other thing Chuck, regarding maters, and of course from my experience. Get them out as early as you can. I do this when night time temps are above 40°. My plants are already flowering, so they're ready to rock. Once the temps are in the 90's, they're pretty much done around here. Looking at your temps, I see a real challenge.

Your pic of the Goatsweed makes me want one!

You're killing it :party:

OCD Chilehead said:
This is the last tomato plant that has the disease. I noticed all the plants I pulled are called San Marzano's. All the other plants are not infected and look great. Just these.

Yeah... the Roma types are prone to diseases. It's such a shame because they taste so good when vine-ripened. There are disease-resistant varieties out there but they're all hybrids or grafts.

stickman said:
Yeah... the Roma types are prone to diseases. It's such a shame because they taste so good when vine-ripened. There are disease-resistant varieties out there but they're all hybrids or grafts.
I found one plant out there that is still doing good. We will see if they ripen up.

Was away from the garden for a couple days. The tomatillo's are insane. Can't get over how quick they grow. Can't even find the pepper plants in the rows.

There is Aji's in there somewhere.
image.jpeg

Here they are hiding
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tomatillo
image.jpeg

Goats Weed 1st ripe one
image.jpeg

This Goats Weed is looking really good. Still have a couple months to go.
image.jpeg

First time trying to cross. Success!!! Tepin x Goats Weed
image.jpeg

Back