• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to do a glog this year. So many projects going on with the house, but part of that is a new garden plot. So, I guess this is the best way to document progress. I'm running a drip irrigation this year to free up my time for other things. Last year I discovered Aerogardening. I started plants late last year I the Aerogarden. They ended up producing and being just as big as my Feb. starts. Sold on hydro! This year I acquired another AG from a thrift shop for $5. I hacked it with a bigger pump and planning on a led hack as well. Next year I'm running a bigger scale hydro setup with my DIY Cob Led build. Anyways I'm on my 3rd batch of AG starts. I'm growing lots of GoatsWeed, Carolina Cayenne, Thai, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, Chiltepin, Cayenne Long, Aji Pinapple, Genghis Khan Brain, Jay's Red, Srtsl x Bbg and there might be a couple of ones I forgot. Enough talk, here's some pics. More pics when it stops raining. 43 days from seed Aero Babies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 140
Wow! How many Tomatillos did you Plant Chuck? It looks like at least 4... You're gonna be swimming in them soon! Here's a good canned Tomatillo salsa recipe   http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html
I've made it before and liked it. The long green chiles in the recipe are green Anaheims, and if you add Oregano... use less than they have in the recipe. 3 Tbsp was too bitter. I'd use half or less.

Gotta love those Goat's Weed chiles! Yours are looking great. When I grew them last, I sold my excess pods to a local Mexican restaurant and they made an excellent roasted garlic and chile salsa with them that should keep well canned or frozen.

Are your Goat's Weed x Tepin crosses F1 or F2?

Keep up the good work!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Wow, nice forest. Congrats on the cross!
Thanks Dale!
stickman said:
Wow! How many Tomatillos did you Plant Chuck? It looks like at least 4... You're gonna be swimming in them soon! Here's a good canned Tomatillo salsa recipe   http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html
I've made it before and liked it. The long green chiles in the recipe are green Anaheims, and if you add Oregano... use less than they have in the recipe. 3 Tbsp was too bitter. I'd use half or less.

Gotta love those Goat's Weed chiles! Yours are looking great. When I grew them last, I sold my excess pods to a local Mexican restaurant and they made an excellent roasted garlic and chile salsa with them that should keep well canned or frozen.

Are your Goat's Weed x Tepin crosses F1 or F2?

Keep up the good work!
Thanks Rick and thanks for the recipe. I think I have about 8 plants. Initially I planted them to shade the Aji's. Was experimenting natural shade cloth. It worked for the most part. I didn't anticipate how big they would grow. Should have played them a little later. The GW are one of my favorite all around cooking pepper. It replaced Thai's for me. I still grow some Thai peppers, but I can't get them to grow well. Always stunted. I'll make some sauce and freeze the rest for cooking. I just hand pollinated the Goat Weed with the pollen from the Tepin a couple weeks ago. I won't see anything new until next year. Might try some other crosses with Aji Pineapple as soon as they start flowering.

Looks like quite a jungle you have going.  From looks of them, would think you will have a lot of pods setting shortly.  And congrats on the cross, still trying to get my first one to take.  I think I will have to wait now again until the non stop daily rains stop and the heat and humidity go down a touch.

jcw10tc said:
Looks like quite a jungle you have going.  From looks of them, would think you will have a lot of pods setting shortly.  And congrats on the cross, still trying to get my first one to take.  I think I will have to wait now again until the non stop daily rains stop and the heat and humidity go down a touch.
Thanks Justin!

It shouldn't be long until they start poppin. I'm ok with that. I only get one harvest a year. The longer they are in veggie state, the better. I would say it was beginners luck with the cross. I followed Jukka's technique.http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding

It's still upper 90's around here. Found out why my plants in the beds are stunted. Not enough water, again. This happened last year as well. I added some more clay to the mix this year. I guess not enough. I have been giving each plant a few gallons a day. I ended up digging my Thai's up and planting them in containers. Had a couple cayenne's that didn't make it. First 4inches had water. After that dry as a bone. Nice well developed roots, just no water to supply them. Needs more topsoil. Oh well, live and learn.

Chinese are doing better.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Transplanted Thai's
image.jpeg

Garden is out of control. I might have to trim some back around the peppers. I found a 4ft tall Aji pineapple intertwined with a Tomatillo.
image.jpeg

Devv said:
I'm loving the jungle Chuck!

Jungle=success!

Congrats on the cross ;)

Keep it green my friend!
Thanks Scott. I'm tryin. I am really happy with the results of the clay ground so far. Was expecting runts. Like you said it will only get better. Keeping my fingers crossed. Starting early next year. Planning on putting them to ground in March. Of course, Inside the nice and warm hoop house. Here is the lost Aji. Had to pull the tomatillo out of the way to get the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 58
Just catching up, wasn't going to do a glog this year huh? Defiantly glad you changed your mind on that one, you got some magic happening over there. Like the improvements to the garden, the raised rows look awesome. You've been very busy, with the improvements, planting, hoophouse, results are amazing chuck, nice work. :clap:. gratz on the successful cross too.

OCD Chilehead said:
 I think I have about 8 plants. Initially I planted them to shade the Aji's. Was experimenting natural shade cloth. It worked for the most part. I didn't anticipate how big they would grow. Should have played them a little later. The GW are one of my favorite all around cooking pepper. It replaced Thai's for me. I still grow some Thai peppers, but I can't get them to grow well. Always stunted. I'll make some sauce and freeze the rest for cooking. I just hand pollinated the Goat Weed with the pollen from the Tepin a couple weeks ago. I won't see anything new until next year. Might try some other crosses with Aji Pineapple as soon as they start flowering.

Wow! Eight Tomatillo plants is enough for a small army! Live and learn, eh? ;)  I can see that the Goat's weed would do better for your local conditions than the Thais... Thailand also gets Monsoon rains, unlike the Continental Divide. I'll be interested to see how your GW x Tepin cross comes out next year. If you get a favorable result, it'll probably take close to a decade to stabilize it. Good luck with it... I don't have that kind of patience.  :P 

I tried to follow the link to fatalii.net in post #167 but had no luck... I couldn't even get in through Google either. What method does Jukka use? I'm about to start hand-pollinating my Heirloom Gochus and am trying to find out as much as possible about it before I do. Cheers!

Devv said:
Yes sir!

Every year will make the garden dirt better if you keep adding the goodies, and I'm sure you will now that you see the results.

Cool isn't it?
Yes it is Scott. I read somewhere that much is good for weed control, as it depletes the nitrogen of the ground it touches. They say not to till it in because it will deplete nitrogen from the roots of the plants. Maybe they're talking about fresh mulch. I wouldn't think the composted stuff would do that.

moruga welder said:
looking good bro !     :onfire:
Thanks Frank. Nowhere close to your garden yet. But still waiting. Thanks for checking it out.

lobo said:
You have your own Jungle, Geat ! :fireball:
Yes it's looking that way. I'll be really happy when I start to see some color.

Pulpiteer said:
I've been meaning to get to this glog for a long time - glad I finally did.  Wow! Love the jungle! 
I've had those Aji Pineapples go crazy like that too.  It's amazing how big, or long or whatever they get.  

Anyway, great work!
Thanks Andy. The Aji Pineapples are behind schedule for sure. Just started getting flowers. I gave Rick some plants and I see he as some pod's. Different climates. I hope to get a bunch. I'm going to make some hotsauce out of them as well as reserve some for cooking.

stickman said:
Wow! Eight Tomatillo plants is enough for a small army! Live and learn, eh? ;)  I can see that the Goat's weed would do better for your local conditions than the Thais... Thailand also gets Monsoon rains, unlike the Continental Divide. I'll be interested to see how your GW x Tepin cross comes out next year. If you get a favorable result, it'll probably take close to a decade to stabilize it. Good luck with it... I don't have that kind of patience.  :P 

I tried to follow the link to fatalii.net in post #167 but had no luck... I couldn't even get in through Google either. What method does Jukka use? I'm about to start hand-pollinating my Heirloom Gochus and am trying to find out as much as possible about it before I do. Cheers!
Yes I'm realizing that now. LOL. I was more or less just trying to grow them for shade. I'm really excited to try that recipe. I hope the amount to all the trouble they've caused. LoL.

Yeah the poor Thai doesn't do well. I had it in a container last year with the same results. I'll try a different variety next year. These are the greenhouse plants I purchased.

The GWxTepin should be interesting. I also pollinated GWxAji Pineapple. I'll have my indoor LED COB setup built before the end of the Summer. I might start some seeds as soon as the pod's get ripe. Cheating. If I grow them hydroponically, it shouldn't take to long to get something stable. I had flowers In my plants after a month in hydro. I pinched them off to get more growth. If I leave them on maybe I can cheat time. They GW has a long maturity date. That's the only bad part. The LEDs are going to give off plenty of light. Planning on OW some plants under them as well.

Sorry for the bad link. Let's try it again. If not Fatalii.net. Lots of cool info over there. He's the guru of bonchi.
http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding
It works!

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Andy. The Aji Pineapples are behind schedule for sure. Just started getting flowers. I gave Rick some plants and I see he as some pod's. Different climates. I hope to get a bunch. I'm going to make some hotsauce out of them as well as reserve some for cooking.

Yes I'm realizing that now. LOL. I was more or less just trying to grow them for shade. I'm really excited to try that recipe. I hope the amount to all the trouble they've caused. LoL.

Yeah the poor Thai doesn't do well. I had it in a container last year with the same results. I'll try a different variety next year. These are the greenhouse plants I purchased.

The GWxTepin should be interesting. I also pollinated GWxAji Pineapple. I'll have my indoor LED COB setup built before the end of the Summer. I might start some seeds as soon as the pod's get ripe. Cheating. If I grow them hydroponically, it shouldn't take to long to get something stable. I had flowers In my plants after a month in hydro. I pinched them off to get more growth. If I leave them on maybe I can cheat time. They GW has a long maturity date. That's the only bad part. The LEDs are going to give off plenty of light. Planning on OW some plants under them as well.

Sorry for the bad link. Let's try it again. If not Fatalii.net. Lots of cool info over there. He's the guru of bonchi.
http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding
It works!

I think the stress to your Aji Pineapples must be due to lack of adequate water. I have one plant in the raised bed next to the house. It's planted in IRT plastic mulch and the heated airflow coming off the outdoor side of our mini-split blows directly onto it. The other two plants I put in my veggie garden in the space left over when I ran out of lumber used to make more raised beds. It was pretty good soil since I've been adding humus and nutes to it every year, but I mulched them with shredded leaves and that's it. The big difference is that I have the drip irrigation in the raised bed next to the house running on a hose timer that gives them 20 minutes of water every 6 hours, and I've been stingy with the water in the veggie garden. The plant next to the house is more than twice the size of the other two and is podding up rapidly with more heat and more water. The two plants in the veggie garden have yet to begin flowering.

The Goat's Weed are great chiles, and since they grow so well for you, you aught to grow them every year. Here's an interesting article from the NY Times about growing chiles in arid climates that you might be interested in.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/garden/07garden.html?_r=0  
It's pretty cool that they grow their chiles underneath "nurse trees" to provide partial shade underneath without competing for the understory where the chiles would be planted. The problem with the Tomatillos is that they were in direct competition with the chiles.  

Thanks for reposting that link! It's a wealth of information for sure. Cheers!

Thanks you for the article. I love a good reading. I stumbled on to http://www.nativeseeds.org/ a couple years ago. I like what they do.

Interesting how they say not to water the Chiltepin with cold water. Warm the water up. They like it more on the drought side. Makes since. Like you said, the exact opposite with the Thai's. Match natural climate.

There climate and soil is similar to mine. I'm going to definitely use biochar next year. I think that will boost my plot for sure. Your plants are responding great to the biochar.

I think my problem with the Aji Pina, is the same problem I have every year. The heat. In the past two months we've had 6 days in the 80's. The rest if the days have been intense mid to upper 90's. I'll be growing under shade cloth, 75% of next season. I found that out by accident a couple years ago. That's what happens when one sows way to many seeds. LOL. I ran out of space and had to put plants in the shade. They ended up being the biggest and most productive plants of my growing season. Last year I said, I would put everything under shade cloth. Couldn't afford it, so I bought the tomatillo's. I planted lemon basil and Thai basil between the tomatoes this year. They are huge. Love the lemon basil. Very frangrant. Tastes great. Learned something again. Next year I'll plant the herbs with tomatoes.
stickman said:
I think the stress to your Aji Pineapples must be due to lack of adequate water. I have one plant in the raised bed next to the house. It's planted in IRT plastic mulch and the heated airflow coming off the outdoor side of our mini-split blows directly onto it. The other two plants I put in my veggie garden in the space left over when I ran out of lumber used to make more raised beds. It was pretty good soil since I've been adding humus and nutes to it every year, but I mulched them with shredded leaves and that's it. The big difference is that I have the drip irrigation in the raised bed next to the house running on a hose timer that gives them 20 minutes of water every 6 hours, and I've been stingy with the water in the veggie garden. The plant next to the house is more than twice the size of the other two and is podding up rapidly with more heat and more water. The two plants in the veggie garden have yet to begin flowering.

The Goat's Weed are great chiles, and since they grow so well for you, you aught to grow them every year. Here's an interesting article from the NY Times about growing chiles in arid climates that you might be interested in.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/garden/07garden.html?_r=0  
It's pretty cool that they grow their chiles underneath "nurse trees" to provide partial shade underneath without competing for the understory where the chiles would be planted. The problem with the Tomatillos is that they were in direct competition with the chiles.  

Thanks for reposting that link! It's a wealth of information for sure. Cheers!
Oh I forgot your welcome for the link. I'm going to order some seeds from Jukka this year. Take a look and if there's something interesting let me know.

Back