• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

Looking really good Chuck! Glad to see the pod set ;)

I too am interested in your temps in the morning and the afternoon, and what the greenhouse is doing temp wise. Any data would be helpful.

I want to build a 12x12 just before I retire. It will be attached to the shop, and I'll add a door so if it's really crazy cold (never know here) I will be able to drag the plants into the shop directly. The shop is insulated and has a heater, and AC of course, or it would be useless during the summer ;)

stickman said:
Very cool Chuck... Your chiles are really starting to bulk up... Pods are a bonus! Time to pull the pin and let 'er rip!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Thanks Rick!
I'm pullin the pins buddy. I was wondering, do you add a kick of phosphorus, or let them do their thang? If so when do you had? I gave them a foliar feeding of some phosphorus last week. Don't want to over do it. They are nice and green. They do not need any Nitrogen. My soil test said I had adequate P and K. It was low in Nitrogen and high in PH.

Devv said:
Looking really good Chuck! Glad to see the pod set ;)

I too am interested in your temps in the morning and the afternoon, and what the greenhouse is doing temp wise. Any data would be helpful.

I want to build a 12x12 just before I retire. It will be attached to the shop, and I'll add a door so if it's really crazy cold (never know here) I will be able to drag the plants into the shop directly. The shop is insulated and has a heater, and AC of course, or it would be useless during the summer ;)

Thanks Scott!

I wish, I could leave the ends open. That would drop the temps a bit. I have grasshoppers that wreak havoc. That was one reason for the walls. The other is the Fall temps. If I were to do it again, I would have added a swamp cooler, instead of the vent fan. I will add one this next Spring. I can use the humistat instead of the thermostat on the ventilation fan. That would cool it down a bit. Cheaper than AC on electricity. For now I will cut another opening up on the other wall this week. My temps have been 70's at night and 105- 110, 115 in the day. I believe that is part of my flowering problem. I spray the plants every night which a mist. It cools it down a bit. I'll document and give you a rundown.

I had to post these pics for the archive, before I lost them again. These pics are Justin's, from his 2016 glog. Thanks again brother. Scotch Brain and Foodarama pods he sent me last year. The left Scotch Brain and the Right Foodarama S.B. If I remember correctly. I hope, I get something close to them. If not, it's still fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 61
OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Rick!
I'm pullin the pins buddy. I was wondering, do you add a kick of phosphorus, or let them do their thang? If so when do you had? I gave them a foliar feeding of some phosphorus last week. Don't want to over do it. They are nice and green. They do not need any Nitrogen. My soil test said I had adequate P and K. It was low in Nitrogen and high in PH.
I've been feeding my plants weekly with a shot of liquid nutes to make up for the slow start this season, otherwise I don't think I'd bother. Following General Organics recommendations I've been mixing 50ml of BioThrive Bloom, 25ml of CaMg+, 12.5ml of BioBud, 25ml of Neptune's Harvest Fish Ferts, 12.5ml ArmorSi mixed with 5 gallons of rainwater snd divide between the chiles. The herbs snd other veggies don' t need it. Watering in some hydrolized fish emulsion might be the way to go for your Nitrogen deficiency Chuck... Just don't overdo it. Maybe brew up some tea? [emoji2]

OCD Chilehead said:
I had to post these pics for the archive, before I lost them again. These pics are Justin's, from his 2016 glog. Thanks again brother. Scotch Brain and Foodarama pods he sent me last year. The left Scotch Brain and the Right Foodarama S.B. If I remember correctly. I hope, I get something close to them. If not, it's still fun.
Scotch Brains are some of the best looking pods and those are prime examples!

Bhuter said:
Man, those look amazingly awesome! Great bumpy texture. Those are some pretty high temps. You must rain when you walk in there.

I'm bummed that I lost my Aji Jobito x BBG seeds to mold, but I have a regular Aji Jobito this year, which I'm excited for. Congrats on your new pods. I hope you find more!
Thanks Adam.
Yeah I couldn't have got a better pheno. I hope it comes through this year. Justin grows some of the best pods around. He has helped me along with Rick and Scott, to improve my growing skills.

It is quite hot in there. I will open it up this weekend. I have been fortunate this past week to be in town for the day picking up stuff for work. I stop by the house and spray the plants down for a little relief. Its really humid in there. The plants seem to like it.

If I get some worthy pods, I'll send you some. I wish I had more pods forming so I could send you a whole box. Maybe in a couple months.

stickman said:
I've been feeding my plants weekly with a shot of liquid nutes to make up for the slow start this season, otherwise I don't think I'd bother. Following General Organics recommendations I've been mixing 50ml of BioThrive Bloom, 25ml of CaMg+, 12.5ml of BioBud, 25ml of Neptune's Harvest Fish Ferts, 12.5ml ArmorSi mixed with 5 gallons of rainwater snd divide between the chiles. The herbs snd other veggies don' t need it. Watering in some hydrolized fish emulsion might be the way to go for your Nitrogen deficiency Chuck... Just don't overdo it. Maybe brew up some tea? [emoji2]

Thanks for the info, Rick.

I think the plants are good on the Nitrogen right now. I threw in a cup or so of Garden-Tone in the hole when I transplanted. That seems to keep them healthy for awhile. Calcium is the only issue I have. I've taken care of that with foliar feeding. The best seasons I've ever had was when I brewed compost tea and molasses. I just can't seem to find the time right now. I'm out of compost at the moment. I may get some this week. Its never to late. I'll foliar feed with a liquid bloom I have every other week and see what happens. If daytime temps drop to the 80's some day, I'll have the blooms. Until then, letem grow.

bpiela said:
Everything looking awesome!  How is the Galapagoense doing?  Any pods yet?
Thanks Ben! No I haven't got pods. It flowered awhile back, but temps dropped the flowers. It's a finicky creature. It started growing like crazy and then stopped. Its looked like this for months. I'm going to keep her indoors for the Winter. Beautiful plant!

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 54
OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Adam.
Yeah I couldn't have got a better pheno. I hope it comes through this year. Justin grows some of the best pods around. He has helped me along with Rick and Scott, to improve my growing skills.

It is quite hot in there. I will open it up this weekend. I have been fortunate this past week to be in town for the day picking up stuff for work. I stop by the house and spray the plants down for a little relief. Its really humid in there. The plants seem to like it.

If I get some worthy pods, I'll send you some. I wish I had more pods forming so I could send you a whole box. Maybe in a couple months.
Wow! Thank you very much, Chuck! But don't short yourself. As soon as mine start ripening, I'll send some your way, as well. I'd like your input on some. I'm also expecting it to be in September. Ugh. Hurry up and wait.
I also have 9 plants that I can't stop watering. 5 are still in cells and 4 are in 4 inch pots. The 4 inchers are starting to flower, too. I don't know what I'll do with them...maybe an overwinter or two?? I love the calyx on your Tobago Treasure x BBG. Looking great!

Bhuter said:
Wow! Thank you very much, Chuck! But don't short yourself. As soon as mine start ripening, I'll send some your way, as well. I'd like your input on some. I'm also expecting it to be in September. Ugh. Hurry up and wait.
I also have 9 plants that I can't stop watering. 5 are still in cells and 4 are in 4 inch pots. The 4 inchers are starting to flower, too. I don't know what I'll do with them...maybe an overwinter or two?? I love the calyx on your Tobago Treasure x BBG. Looking great!
It will be awhile before I get some real pods. I've incorporated the 40 or so 4in pots into the grow. Just fertilized them this morning. They'll take more watering and nutes, but it's still fun. I have a half a flat of about 30-40 cell plants. I just keep spraying them with water. The grasshoppers have been munching in them. Better them than the other bigger plants. LOL! Sacrifice to the hopper gods.

Trident chilli said:
Chuck thanks for re-posting the ScotchBrain/Foodarama pictures... amazing. Great updates your plants are looking A1 can't believe no one would take your extras
Your welcome John. Thanks!

No one local would take. I had one place, but they would have sold them for them selves at their shop. I figured I would keep them before that happened. I'm kinda glad. More work, but I get to experiment. Never grown plants to maturity that were that small. May end up with some cool bonchi's this year.

Back