• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

" Ocean Appe-Teasers "

IMG_4917.jpg

Ingredients: Left Front...Meyer Lemon, Lime, Key Limes, Orange, Mango, Mahi-Mahi, Shallot, Garlic, Yellow, Orange, and Red Habanero's, Cilantro, Italian Parsley, Squid, ...Lump Crab meat, Chives, Dill. Left Back Row,..White Pepper, White Truffle Oil, Sea Salt, Coconut Vinegar,
" Fatalii Fury ", AP Flour, Buttermilk, Marinara Sauce, Oil, Chile-Lime Mayo, Dry Mustard, Panko Bread Crumbs, Fish & Fish Seasoning, Thai-Bird Sweet Chili Sauce...

IMG_4933.jpg

Squeeze the juice from the Limes and Orange, place liquid to non-reactive bowl. Add 2 Tbl of Vinegar. ( should have at least 1 cup of liquid ). Cut Mahi-Mahi into 1/2" pieces, add fish to marinade and place in the fridge for 2 hrs or until the fish turns slightly opaque. Meanwhile dice the Mango's, Shallots, Garlic Habanero's, Cilantro and Parsley. Add the cut items to a bowl sprinkle with a Tsp of Salt and a grind of White Pepper. Set aside on counter

Mahi-Mahi Ceviche

IMG_4939.jpg

Drain half the liquid from the fish and fold in the Mango and other cut ingredients. Squeeze a lemon over and drizzle some White Truffle Oil on top. Plate up with Chips or Soda Crackers.

IMG_4949.jpg

Here's a shot of the some "Fatalii Fury" sauce......compliments of coheed196. Its a Kiwi-Pineapple based sauce, just the right amount of citrus zing and boost of heat to move this dish up a gear........thanks Vincent!

IMG_4961.jpg

Clean Squid, remove and discard head while reserving the tentacles. Cut the tubes into 1/8" rings. Place squid in bowl with Buttermilk and Fish & Fin seasoning, Salt and White Pepper. Marinade for 1 hr in the fridge. Add Flour Fish & Fin seasoning to a bowl. Drain squid and dust in Flour. Deep fry at 370 deg for 45 sec. Drain on papper towels, dust with additional seasonings and squeeze a Lemon throughout.

Calamari

IMG_4963.jpg

Plate up with your favorite sauce. Mine is my homemade Marinara Sauce with a hit of Tabasco.

IMG_4991.jpg

Cut up the Habanero's, Shallots, Garlic, Parsley and Dill place in a bowl. To that add 1 cup of Chili-Lime Mayo, Fish & Fin seasoning, Panko Bread Crumbs. Fold in Lump Crab meat and place in the fridge for 1/2 hr. Remove mixture from fridge and form into cakes. I used a cutting ring but you can free form just as fast. Place cakes in freezer for 20 min or back in the fridge for an hour or so.

IMG_5024.jpg

Fry cakes in shallow oil for 3 min per side. Drain on paper towels (can be placed in a warm oven until all batches are fryed).

Crab Cakes

IMG_5029.jpg

Here's the plating shot with some of my Thai-Bird Sweet Chili Sauce........serve with your favorite brew
Thanks for checking this out,

Greg.

OOPS...........Can someone move this to the "Cooking with Fire" section...

Greg,
All of it looks extremely appetizing!!! The Ceviche really catches my eye as I make Ceviche occasionally but I normally use Grouper. We mainly catch a lot of fresh dolphinfish locally but that’s in the summer, I’ll have to give it a try next time I catch some, thanks :) ... BTW great pictures and tutorial!

Edit: I use grouper for the consistency it has after being cooked via lime juce, but the dolphinfish does sound great, one of my favorite fish... caught a snook this morning but let it go as it was a little small, they're real nice in Ceviche as well.

Greg,
All of it looks extremely appetizing!!! The Ceviche really catches my eye as I make Ceviche occasionally but I normally use Grouper. We mainly catch a lot of fresh dolphinfish locally but that’s in the summer, I’ll have to give it a try next time I catch some, thanks :) ... BTW great pictures and tutorial!

Edit: I use grouper for the consistency it has after being cooked via lime juce, but the dolphinfish does sound great, one of my favorite fish... caught a snook this morning but let it go as it was a little small, they're real nice in Ceviche as well.

Thanks Ramon,
We get the Florida Grouper here at the Fish Market. When its in I buy it for the family, they all like it. Grilled, Blackened, Baked, any way its great. Oddly enough I haven't use it for Ceviche but on an occasion I use Corvina which is always available. My wife and I make an annual trip down to Ft Myers Beach. I probably have Grouper a few times during the stay. I also dig the Conch Fritters...........and a cold brew or two.

WQe travel to Maui each year and its fish galore there. Thats where I first had the Mahi Cerviche......Yellow Fin is pretty dam good also.
Thanks for checking this out...

My fridge broke down yesterday so i don't have any proper food at home. Guess if I'm hungry for that stuff!

Sorry to hear about the fridge.....that usually happens to me when I have a crowd coming over. Thanks for the compliment

looks awesome!!!! love some calamari!!

Yea Calamari is pretty tasty lightly fried or slow cooked in the Marinara. Grilled Baby Octopus with Balsamic Vinegar does a number also

Man Greg can I come over and stay a while. Your cullinary expertise is off the charts. That should get a crown for best damn dinner ever!!!!! :fireball:

Haha.....Jamie..........You're way to complimentive.....I'm sorry, what did you say, can you say that again......hah
If your ever up this way let me know...

Love it!! I have to find me some squid. Homemade calamari here I come.

Brian I bet you can season that dish up nicely with some of your powder

Hi Greg... If you like squid cooked spicy, you should try a Korean dish called Ojingo Bokum...

http://hannaone.com/Recipe/ojingo.html

The ingredients are pretty easy to find with the possible exception of Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), but it's worth the trouble, believe me!

Thanks Ramon,
We get the Florida Grouper here at the Fish Market. When its in I buy it for the family, they all like it. Grilled, Blackened, Baked, any way its great. Oddly enough I haven't use it for Ceviche but on an occasion I use Corvina which is always available. My wife and I make an annual trip down to Ft Myers Beach. I probably have Grouper a few times during the stay. I also dig the Conch Fritters...........and a cold brew or two.
Cool, sounds delicious, I too catch and cook lots of fish although lately not fishing as often. I wonder if the Corvina you get there is from FL too, as mid to south FL its better know as Drum or croaker, Don’t know what they call it in Northern FL. AFAIK there’s hundreds of different species so they might not look or taste the same. I guess it’s possible what you get in Chicago could come from CL, I believe that’s a popular catch there or IDK.

WQe travel to Maui each year and its fish galore there. Thats where I first had the Mahi Cerviche......Yellow Fin is pretty dam good also.
Thanks for checking this out...
Super nice, I’ve only been to Maui twice, would love to go back as I had loads of fun there. While I got completely skunked fishing there, only one hit :/ I was able to eat loads of fish and enjoy some of their great surf. Luckily got to spend a few weeks visiting other islands as well …

Hi Greg... If you like squid cooked spicy, you should try a Korean dish called Ojingo Bokum...

http://hannaone.com/Recipe/ojingo.html

The ingredients are pretty easy to find with the possible exception of Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), but it's worth the trouble, believe me!

Thanks Rick,
I will definately try that recipe. I can probably find the paste here, we do have a Korean Section with family owned grocery stores. The key to shopping at one is to right down the ingredients, some of the labels on the jars are misleading. The stir fry time with the squid is pretty accurate any longer it could be rubbery. I also make a squid dish with the body stuffed with shrimp and scallops...next time I will add some Korean paste to the red sauce during the simmer.
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for this thread. Wednesday I picked up 2 pounds of cleaned squid. The counter guy said egg and Panko would be good and since that is what I had the first pound went that way, and went in our bellies fast. lol

Today I am going to pick up buttermilk and Fish & Fry.

Back