• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

of perlite and miracle grow

for some damned reason I just noticed that most of the potting soil I bought is that moisture control crap (been wondering why drainage hasn't been that great).

Would adding perlite to it help out or should I just replace it with a non-MC variety?

Perlite will likely not be enough since the silica gel holds up to 200 times its weight in water. I think you'd be best to buy new soil. I like the moisture retaining soil for pots that dry out quickly or are a pain to water, like hanging baskets

I think I'm gonna say screw it, and just dig up more lawn and move stuff to the ground rather than fart around with pots this year. I may keep some in them to try and overwinter, I dunno. I'm glad I bought a good shovel this year, I'm getting every pennies worth out of it lol

Skydiver said:
I'm glad I bought a good shovel this year, I'm getting every pennies worth out of it lol

Eventually you're going to run out of room burying all those bodies in your back yard there.....:lol:

Sickmont said:
Eventually you're going to run out of room burying all those bodies in your back yard there.....:lol:
Meh, they're good composting material. The Native Americans used to put dead fish under the corn seed to give the corn food.

People work the same way for peppers :lol:

I would never bury bodies in my back yard.

I'm far too familiar with the Allegheny Nation Forest to pull something that amateur.
:whistle:

Skydiver said:
I think I'm gonna say screw it, and just dig up more lawn and move stuff to the ground rather than fart around with pots this year.

That's exactly what I had to do with my MG potted plants last year. It actually saved some plants. I'm using Happy Frog this year and a couple custom mixes this year in containers. Got to try Pro-Mix BX next year too.

boutros said:
That's exactly what I had to do with my MG potted plants last year. It actually saved some plants. I'm using Happy Frog this year and a couple custom mixes this year in containers. Got to try Pro-Mix BX next year too.

Looked that up, looks like it's sold at Ace, I'll have to check it out.
For the remainder of this year, though, I just picked up some fish emulsion fertilizer stuff, and also some sphagnum and perlite. With some rocks and sand and soil from my lawn and some of the other potting soil I had left over I was using on my indoor plants, I should be able to whip up something satisfactory.

Plus I've got OVER 9000!!!!!!!!! websites bookmarked that give signs & symptoms of all the nutrient deficiencies, I should be ok.

I sure hope so, because I just got my shipment of plants in from CCN just now. Letting them acclimate to the climate here should give me enough time to get the rest of my pots ready and allow me to dig more lawn up and get my front yard ready.

work work work
:lol:

Yeah, love the Pro-Mix BX here.

It's like a solid base you can build yer soil mix on the way YOU want it.

MG is like paint by numbers...you never get to really do things your way.

The MG stuff works, the Pro-Mix just works better. I certainly wouldn't throw the MG away. If you use it, just don't add any nutes for 3 months. I've even combined some of my old MG with some new Pro-Mix, added a little perlite and that doesn't look as bad as the straight MG. They wouldn't sell 40 million bags (guess) of the stuff if it was worthless.

SKYDIVER- Please tell me how the CCN plants work out for you. I almost bought them this year, but my cross country move from Minnesota to Texas made it impractical. I started the move with 7 boxes of plants(peppers, tomatos, pumpkins, and orchids) and arrived with 6.

origamiRN said:
SKYDIVER- Please tell me how the CCN plants work out for you. I almost bought them this year, but my cross country move from Minnesota to Texas made it impractical. I started the move with 7 boxes of plants(peppers, tomatos, pumpkins, and orchids) and arrived with 6.

I'd post pics but my camera broke.
The plants all arrived in pretty outstanding shape, the only slightly droopy ones were the aribibi gusano and one of the choccy habs. Other than that they look about a thousand times better than anything I've ever grown from a seedling, and there is no better person to deal with than Janie there.

I have a feeling they're gonna be awesomely fruiting plants, but I'll let you know.

I'm pretty much already set on doing business with them again next year.

free at last, free at last, thank...

hmm

I'm a deist, so that's awkward.

Anyhoo, I went to home depot again today to get some more of the miracle grow garden soil, which is great stuff, and picked up a 2 cubic foot bag of Scott's Potting soil, no moisture control garbage, and it works like a charm!

Gotta run back up there and pick up 3 or 4 more big bags of that to finally get all of my plants out of MC and into properly draining stuff.:woohoo:

Back