beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

tctenten said:
I looked a bit on the webz today because I have a newbie question. Is it just the yeasts and fermentation techniques that define the style of beer it is?

no, but those are two major components ...

there's accepted parameters ... color within so many points of SRM, ABV within a range, carbonation levels ... I think ...

Any possible way we can start a week early? I'm going to be in Florida on the 1st. I could brew it the Saturday before Easter though. Otherwise I'm going to have to wait until the weekend after on the 8th and not sure my beer will be ready by the 1st of May.
I did some researching last night though :)

So...I switched the yeast I want to use and Beersmith does not have it listed.  I assume the type of yeast will not effect ibu, srm...but will effect taste and possibly abv?  

Northern Brewer has 20% off again...I may do the beergun.  

tctenten said:
So...I switched the yeast I want to use and Beersmith does not have it listed.  I assume the type of yeast will not effect ibu, srm...but will effect taste and possibly abv?  

Northern Brewer has 20% off again...I may do the beergun.  

Yeast selection makes a large contribution to flavor, yes ...
Yeast selection can also make a vast contribution to NOT having flavors, when they are undesirable, perhaps even more importantly ...

1) What's the PoL?
2) What date does it need to arrive to Wheebz?
3) Are we supposed to make a post on the day we brew, or wait until it's fermented?
4) Sugars or syrups are technically fermentables, so are they not allowed?
5) Whirfloc, nutrients, etc are fine, right? ...
6) I'm assuming it's NOT okay to use DME or lactose or maltodextrin or even fruit in the boil ...

I think that's all I've got, for now ...

POL will be what I say it is first day of the month

style will be determined a week before hand, which I am giving you leeway already since we all know its going to be Marris Otter (as per your recommendation) and single hopped with whatever

make a post of the ingredients on the WEEK that you brew, you have an entire month to make a beer, and most of us can turn it around in 2 weeks unless we do something crazy

I will judge them a week after the next brewdown, for adequate carbonation time if needed

sugars, syrups, spices, whatever can be done unless the rules dont agree with it

all fining and clearing agents are more than welcome

as of right now the only restrictions you have are marris otter and a single hop

You can make the most wacked out shit, evertyhing else is fair game, you just have to use marris otter and a single hop, literally EVERYTHING ELSE is fair game

DME is ok, lactose is ok, malto is ok, fruit is ok

seriously grant, the only restrictions you have for this first one is base malt and one hop, other than that, fuck shit up

i cant make a simpler god damn opening brewdown

oh, that opens it up A LOT more ...

okay ...
haha, but it's not started yet, is it? ...

I thought I was going to brew this this weekend after you commented in my other thread ... oops ...

Okay, I'll brew some other shit ...

Pre-teaser teaser

BAA67FED-549C-4711-98DA-6E16B18579D7_zps2wlfldft.jpg

9FD06053-2C07-419C-9849-A41BA525D61E_zps9xucoi5n.jpg

4CB0A93A-31C2-4FCA-8581-6A4E49E4E855_zps4j9x8yrh.jpg

Cheers

Super bummed out. I'm not going to be able to do this brew down. I could brew the beer Saturday, but I won't be able to control the ferm from Florida. Really sucks.

Back