• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

news OH BOY! Dunkin' Doughnuts + Ghost Peppers = Halloween!

A local news crew, two women & 2 men, taped an "after newscast " taste test and below concerns (As well as mine.) were well founded. Nobody seemed overly "influenced" by the heat, although one woman had "a" tear. They then said if someone wanted to come to the studio and eat a ghost pepper they'd love to air it. Yea - Right That would be a fair comparison!

dragonsfire said:
Well the fact that sugar will cut the heat I dont expect them to be that "Hot" lol

midwestchilehead said:
IMHO, nothing made for the masses is ever hot.

keybrdkid said:
what if someone re-made the donut the way it should be, and actually made it really hot.

Edaxflamma said:
I would think with all of the accomplished home chefs I constantly see on this forum, a superhot doughnut throw down could turn out some pretty unique entries. 

I can make passable beignets, but I'm not sure how I would introduce hot pepper into it. It would take a fair amount of experimenting to figure out how to heat them up properly.

beignet3.jpg

beignet4.jpg

beignet2.jpg

beignet1.jpg

I've been wanting to make savory croissants with compound butter for a while now. I think I could probably finagle an Indian or Mexican variant and load it up with pepper powder. 

Maybe eclairs with 9 alarm chili as filling? 

Standard old fashioned with spicy margarita / tequila glaze?

Double chocolate doughnuts with a spicy Aztec chocolate or an extreme Mexican Hot Chocolate glaze?

Tons of options! 

Edaxflamma said:

Maybe eclairs with 9 alarm chili as filling? 

hmm. My mom has a great family chili recipe that involves melted chocolate. A chili filled donut with chocolate glaze would be interesting.  I guess I would be worried that the bread would get soggy though.

keybrdkid said:

hmm. My mom has a great family chili recipe that involves melted chocolate. A chili filled donut with chocolate glaze would be interesting.  I guess I would be worried that the bread would get soggy though.

Just have to make those eclairs out of cornbread and you'd be set. 

I think we may be running off the rails a bit now.

keybrdkid said:

I can make passable beignets, but I'm not sure how I would introduce hot pepper into it. It would take a fair amount of experimenting to figure out how to heat them up properly.

beignet3.jpg

beignet4.jpg

beignet2.jpg

beignet1.jpg
Dang those look good [emoji16][emoji106]. At first glance I thought those were knock off Fig Newtons [emoji16][emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Dang those look good [emoji16][emoji106]. At first glance I thought those were knock off Fig Newtons [emoji16][emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its been a while since I've eaten a fig newton, but the texture here was a lot fluffier. More like those donuts you get at custom donut shops.  I was trying to make beignets, but it may have come out more like a donut. And having never eaten a real authentic beignet in NOLA, I'm not sure how close to the mark I was. But they tasted good anyway.  My problem was I didnt have a real fryer so I was trying to heat oil on the stove to a really hot temperature and it kept popping and I didnt want to start a fire in my kitchen. 

Well their nothing like they used to be so your not missing anything, bin meaning to make so home made versions.

• 2 pints black figs, trimmed, quartered

• ¾ cup fresh orange juice

• 6 tablespoons honey

• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt

keybrdkid said:

Its been a while since I've eaten a fig newton

keybrdkid said:

That's dirt simple. Use crystalline capsaicin. Adds all the heat you can stand with no flavor of it's own.

DWB said:
That's dirt simple. Use crystalline capsaicin. Adds all the heat you can stand with no flavor of it's own.

16 million scovies might be a bit much for my project. But I think I have the necessary to come up with something,,

keybrdkid said:

16 million scovies might be a bit much for my project. But I think I have the necessary to come up with something,,
If you use (for example) melted butter in your recipe, just melt 1 mg of capsaicin in each mL to make that butter reach for 16,000 SHU  Add that butter to 10x other ingredients and you have a nice, mild heat. Easy deal.

Edit: By the way, your beignet looks deadly. It makes me hungry to look at those plates. I bet I could eat every one in every picture in one sitting.

Back