• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OhioGrown's First Ever Glog 7-18 update, with pics, Pods are coming!!

alright, this is the beginning of my first glog. to start, last year, i grew 4 jalapenos, 4 ghost hab's, 2 cayenne, and 1 super chili. i got decent return, especially with the ghost habaneros. This year I'm starting Trinidad Scorpions, Giant Jalapeno, and Chocolate Habaneros. I also overwintered two of my Ghost Habaneros. Here's a pic of the seeds starting, mainly the Scorpions. This is the first time I've ever started seeds, with alot of knowledge from TheHotPepper.com

DSCI0023_zps37738059.jpg

Now, I know some folks don't like the peat pellets. I got an amazon gift card, and got 100 peat pellets, 100 4 inch peat pots, and 5 trays. Then i went and got a germination kit, and got started with my seeds from pepperlover.com. Here's a couple shots of my Ghost Habaneros from last year. They're in hanging baskets in my dining room, with a huge south-facing window. They seem to be doing well, since i got rid of my aphid problem a couple weeks ago. (Azamax).

DSCI0029_zpsf37421e7.jpg

DSCI0028_zps8223f0fb.jpg

So I'm going to get a cheap shelf system tomorrow and hang some lights from it for when I'm going to transplant into the peat pots. I'm still learning alot from this site. I'm afraid some of my seedlings are starting to stretch, and maybe the one in the bottom right hand corner might be damping off. I'm thinking Pro-mix, or something similar and get them in pots and under lights and a light fan soon? More research to be done.....

Lots of pepper plants this year! Looking good so far. This year I'm using Jiffy peat starters, Burpee peat starters, and a coir starting mix. Hopefully I'll figure out what works best for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Those overwintered plants will be monsters this season. Are they going in the ground, or in pots?

I like the profile pic! :D

the Ghosts are going back in the ground this spring. I didn't have room to overwinter alot of my stuff. so i came up with the idea of putting a couple in the hanging baskets. the one thing i should have done better, was to knock off alot of the garden dirt, and clean the root system a little, then use a good potting soil for the baskets. i tried two others, with a little less light, and alot of the garden dirt, and they died off. although, i didn't put as much effort into those two. the first two i did rebounded really good, and even started blooming.

Ok, went today and got some more gear for my setup. I ended up getting a decent plastic shelfing unit at Home Depot. Then I went to my indoor garden store, and got two T-5 fixtures, 4 bulbs each. I set up my shelf, attached the lights with some zip ties (the hooks they came with made the lights too low for my germination kit). Here's a picture of the final setup before moving things into pots.

DSCI0005_zps8567d362.jpg

DSCI0001_zpsd72a603f.jpg

I have the exact same shelves in my laundry room. Mine too are full of pepper plants!

I think you'll want to use the hooks they came with and drill some small holes in the sides so you can raise and lower your lights. You're lights might be a little far from the plants right now.

thanks folks. RandyYJ, i'm going to do what you suggested. i never thought of drilling holes in the sides of the shelves. The main reason i attached them directly under the shelves was for the germination kit with the 7 inch dome. Once they get into pots, the lights will be about 2 inches away from the plants. Hopefully, I don't run out of room before they're ready to go into the ground.

I decided to turn off the heating mat for now. Together with the lights now on the germination kit, it seemed like it was drying out the pellets some. So, I added a little water to them. Hopefully it doesnt stunt them.

Well, after unwrapping my seeds that were soaking in paper towels, I now have added 12 more Chocolate Habaneros, and 2 more Giant Jalapenos to my peat pellets. Since I ran out of room in my germination kit, I had to make a simple one of my own. I used some tupperware and covered it with plastic wrap. I also set them under my second set of lights, in a tray. The heat from the bottom set of lights should warm them enough to get them out of the pellets. They all had roots on them, so it shouldn't take long.

DSCI0009_zps75f8c5d4.jpg

So now I decided to go ahead and pot the ones that had sprouted a little while ago. I ended up with 12 Trinidad Scorpions, 3 Chocolate Habaneros, and 3 Giant Jalapenos so far. I got them into 4 inch peat pots, with Happy Frog soil. They're a couple inches from the lights.

DSCI0005_zps0c0805f7.jpg

DSCI0002_zps3bff1c2b.jpg

Well, it's been a few weeks since I got started. Here's a few shots of the seedlings, about 15 Trinidad Scorpions, 20+ Chocolate Habs, and 4 Giant Jalapenos. Im starting some more Giant Jalapenos, and some Trinidad Douglah, and a few Red Bhuts, and Yellow Bhuts this weekend.
DSCI0003_zps5b32da57.jpg

DSCI0002_zpsc62a57d5.jpg

DSCI0001_zpsf0c3fe5f.jpg

I'm going to start fertilizing them next watering too. Now I have to go shovel 6 inches of snow off the driveway.

Pretty exciting seeing the seedlings emerge.

When can you officially plant out. Here in Chi town I'm looking at the 2nd week in May, unless we have the incredible Spring we had last year. It could be earlier.

Greg

I usually do the second week(end) of May as well. Last year I got them out May 5th, but I took the chance of having a freeze too. I'll be moving my whole shelf system out to my insulated woodshop in my garage in April. Then I'll start my veggies, cucs, tomatoes, corn, maybe zuc's too. I'll post more pictures of my outdoor garden when I can get out to start tilling it again.

Hey OG former Ohioan here Cleveland area and just wanted to wish you good luck on your grow this year and keeping a glog. This is my first year to start from seed and I am looking forward to it. Seeing that I got some extra seeds of chili peppers I have never heard or had before I am thinking I am going to need a way to grow a few more seeds than my germination station will hold. After viewing your glog I will have to try your method with the Jiffy pellets, storage containers and plastic wrap for the extras. I will check in here and good luck on a great 2013 grow!!.

Here's a couple new pics. Started using an organic fertilizer on them. I got a fan on them as well.
DSCI0007_zps89c232e1.jpg

DSCI0008_zps884802fe.jpg

I've also got 15 Giant Jalapeno, 15 Trinidad Douglah, 5 Orange Bhut, and 5 Red Bhut's in my germination kit, waiting for them to start popping up. (hopefully any day now).

Looking great. Just got my seeds planted tonight. I had trouble with black gunk on my peat pots last year, something you may want to watch for. The peat pots also dried me out a lot faster than normal. I made the switch this year.

Love the OW, wish mine would have made it. Darn aphids!!!

Back