• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Oil separation?

I started this mash 18 days ago. It seems to have finally started to ferment and I think it is going good. I am assuming that what I am seeing there near the bottom is oil separation and that it is perfectly natural. Am I correct? I need yall's experienced wisdom! I hope the picture is good enough..

2hplr47.jpg

18 days to start to see bubbles is a little long.  I'm not an expert on fermentation at all!  just have read a lot....

The "voids" look to be normal liquid/solids separations,  not oils....

Yea the CO2 bubbles within the chopped peppers makes them light and float on top of the brine.  I dont know if you have an airlock or not, if no, then shake it up to get all the air to the top, then burp the jar.   If you do have an airlock, dont shake it, maybe swirl it to try to get the air to the top and the peppers back into the brine.

salsalady said:
18 days to start to see bubbles is a little long.  I'm not an expert on fermentation at all!  just have read a lot....

The "voids" look to be normal liquid/solids separations,  not oils....
Well I saw bubbles before day 18.. There have just been a lot more the past few days
Heisenberg said:
Yea the CO2 bubbles within the chopped peppers makes them light and float on top of the brine.  I dont know if you have an airlock or not, if no, then shake it up to get all the air to the top, then burp the jar.   If you do have an airlock, dont shake it, maybe swirl it to try to get the air to the top and the peppers back into the brine.
I don't have an airlock. It's kinda thick.. Could I stir it if I sterilized the spoon first?

Pepperjack91 said:
I don't have an airlock. It's kinda thick.. Could I stir it if I sterilized the spoon first?

You shouldnt open a jar thats fermenting.  If you dont have an airlock, just shake the bejeezus out of it and burp the container after.  Do that about once a day as needed.

Good info all, +1

Yep, that's normal seperation which happens in all fermentation, we'll perhaps if you were to liquify everything first maybe not. Follow what heisen said and you'll be golden.

Back