• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ok...GA3 ain't for me anymore

As some of you may know, I have been expirimenting wit GA3 and while it does exactly what it claims, I'm not too sure I am pleased with the results so far. My plants are extremely leggy and thin and they just seem stressed. They are HUGE height wise but I just don't think they are completely healthy. I might just need to revise my methods but for now, no more. I was also thinking that maybe if I top all the plants I apply it to, it would force them to branch out instead of just reaching for the stars...might try that before I give up on it completely...

It does aid in stem growth, just vertically. As far as root growth, I really haven't noticed much of a difference. Don't want to completely rule out this as a viable option for a growing aid, It's still relatively new to me so I think I just need more time and experience along with tips and opinions from people who use it on a regular basis. I almost think that if I force the peppers to branch out by cutting the tops off, there might be more pleasing results. Who knows.

I gave my plants a foliar spray of 250 ppm dissolved GA3 and they are looking great. Yes a bit on the lanky side but they are also branching out as well. Let's see some pics.

I heard that stuff is evil!.I would toss it immediately! May cause 3 headed babies and stuff!
A cytokinin would promote cell division.But you might grow an extra toe!

Wayright...we should probably just throw out out whole crop. All of them. Lol. But seriously, what should I do to combat this leggyness?

Leave the dark side and come to the light side and The Force will protect you. ;)

Seriously, don't push the river. :cheers:

Make it all it takes is sea weed,molasses and water, get plane Nori Dried sea weed, place in blender with water make mush put in gal bucket add water to double volume add 1/3 molasses let sit for a week, strain use two tablespoons to the gal of water spray leaves real good soak, use sea weed around plants. works for me. you can also add fish fertilizer to the mix 2-3 days new growth every ware,

Make it all it takes is sea weed,molasses and water, get plane Nori Dried sea weed, place in blender with water make mush put in gal bucket add water to double volume add 1/3 molasses let sit for a week, strain use two tablespoons to the gal of water spray leaves real good soak, use sea weed around plants. works for me. you can also add fish fertilizer to the mix 2-3 days new growth every ware,

wow, pretty cool.

hmm might try that. Where sells nori seaweed? Not something I can buy from walmart I would assume?

Try longs drugs that where i buy mine, also if you want to try store bought stuff try Ohana Green house & Garden Supply 2001 Democrat St 808-841-4769 or www.ohanagreenhouse.com oh ya!! walmart does carry it at least here on the Big Island.

hmm might try that. Where sells nori seaweed? Not something I can buy from walmart I would assume?

Being in Hawaii you should have it in a lot of shops. If you have a hard time finding it ask a Sushi place where they get theirs. It will be in plastic packs, and look like wrinkles sheets of dark green paper. Our local asian markets have about 6 different brands in all different types and cuts. I'm in Az, so it should be even easier for you given the Asian/Japanese background Hawaii has.

You should try and LST some of your plants if you want them to take off with branching. I have always started them young, but just bend them over and keep them strapped sideways. Keep doing that and] you will get tons of side branching and instead of being a tall thin plant, you will get a Bush/Shrub.
Bending them really stimulates side growth, and without the stress of cutting or breaking...
you may be able to get your tall one to do it if you can still bend the stem over. If you can get it to 90* it should take off.

Being in Hawaii you should have it in a lot of shops. If you have a hard time finding it ask a Sushi place where they get theirs. It will be in plastic packs, and look like wrinkles sheets of dark green paper. Our local asian markets have about 6 different brands in all different types and cuts. I'm in Az, so it should be even easier for you given the Asian/Japanese background Hawaii has.

You should try and LST some of your plants if you want them to take off with branching. I have always started them young, but just bend them over and keep them strapped sideways. Keep doing that and] you will get tons of side branching and instead of being a tall thin plant, you will get a Bush/Shrub.
Bending them really stimulates side growth, and without the stress of cutting or breaking...
you may be able to get your tall one to do it if you can still bend the stem over. If you can get it to 90* it should take off.

Bend?....my plants? Im lost, you mean put a 90* kink in the main stem?? Wouldn't that kill it? You gotta post some pictures of what you mean...

Back