• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking OK I need advice on cooking with a smoker

Yesterday evening I put two large steaks on the left side, and two ham hocks on the right. I opened the grill about an hour into cooking and the steaks were rare so I turned them over, ham hocks were raw I also turned them. thirty minutes later I check the steaks again and they were over well done and partially burnt.

I saw advice that with a smoker one shouldn't check to often on a smoker but I am starting to see the thinner the meat the more often I checked. The steaks and the hocks were rubbed.

By the why we ate the steak anyways inside it was somewhat tender outside was crisp tasted out of this world despite being burnt.

Any suggestions? I think part of the problem is thinner pieces of meat dry out quicker.

Later I put on ribs and chicken both turned out excellent They were BBQ'd.

We saved the ham hocks for tonight. But I checked them with a digital thermometer. I read they were slightly above temperature for well done.

Is it a side smoker, or is the wood evenly distributed underneath? I have a side smoker, so I put my thickest meats in the middle, and my thinnest ones to the far side. How thick were the steaks? Also, what temperature was most of the cooking done at.

chilliman said:
Im building a UDS so any tips would be great. Im with Pepper Belly not really use one before.

http://www.chargriller.com/store/pr...id=34&osCsid=67c1a3c4ddd3fbcd4cc698b42484ae04

The above link should take you to what I use. I prefer applewood, and use enough to get the smoker to 210 degrees. I like this kind because you can add wood or charcoal without opening the BBQ itself. If it seems to me that the meat is cooking too quickly, I move it away from the side the smoker is on. I use a variety of dry rubs, and a variety of sauces. Pork shoulder or ribs are my favourites.

I wish we had stuff like that here in OZ that cheap! Something like that could sell here for 300-400 Dollars probably more !

UDS is cheap and a good start i would of thought !
Im a aussie, we dont like shiny new when we can make one cheap !

Though i have no real idea on different woods and oils to use etc.

chilliman said:
Though i have no real idea on different woods and oils to use etc.

Trial and error. Some people love mesquite, but that flavour just doesn't work for me. I like Paul Prudhomme's dry rubs, or Blairs if we have heat lovers over.

POTAWIE said:
I usually prefer to grill my steaks with a good sear but often add a little smoke as well

Yeah - I have never smoked a steak. That's why I love that smoker. I can use it as a direct heat charcoal BBQ, or an indirect heat smoker...

Hot Canuck said:
Is it a side smoker, or is the wood evenly distributed underneath? I have a side smoker, so I put my thickest meats in the middle, and my thinnest ones to the far side. How thick were the steaks? Also, what temperature was most of the cooking done at.

I have an el' cheapo thermometer mounted in my smoker it doesn't give a temperature it only reads warm ideal and hot. It read between warm and ideal. Yes I know I need a new one. Steaks were almost an inch thick and had a good quantity of fat.

My old grill gave up the ghost so I had a choice either a new grill or a smoker.

For those who dont have a smoker it is well worth your money to invest in one, the food cooked in a smoker is out of this world but it does require educating yourself as it is a science all to itself, and cheaper smokers need mods like fire baskets and a homemade fluke and also a welder blanket for insulation.

This is my smoker.

http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/product_detail_m.aspx?ProductSeriesID=17

your temps were way too high is what happened.

try the minion method.. you really need to change your factory thermometer, they are usually crap and dont give accurate temp readings... i took out my old thermometer from my old gas grill and use it on my smoker now.. another option is if you can find a steel deep fryer/candy thermometer, you can make one of those work as well.

BamsBBQ said:
your temps were way too high is what happened.

try the minion method.. you really need to change your factory thermometer, they are usually crap and dont give accurate temp readings... i took out my old thermometer from my old gas grill and use it on my smoker now.. another option is if you can find a steel deep fryer/candy thermometer, you can make one of those work as well.

Thanks again Bam Bam, I looked you up online, are you the franchise creator of the restaurant?

Pepper Belly said:
Thanks again Bam Bam, I looked you up online, are you the franchise creator of the restaurant?

nope sadly that is not me. that is bam bam bbq with no "S"..mine is bam bam's bbq....we are a small catering company..the name is the name of my competition team out of ontario canada. the future plans are to open a small cafeteria style bbq place in a southern USA state.

BamsBBQ said:
nope sadly that is not me. that is bam bam bbq with no "S"..mine is bam bam's bbq....we are a small catering company..the name is the name of my competition team out of ontario canada. the future plans are to open a small cafeteria style bbq place in a southern USA state.

Well one day you'll hit it off. Sounds as though your not doing bad right now establishing a name for yourself.

The minion method wont help in temps that is for a longer burn- first off I wouldnt smoke a steak it would just dry out before its done you can add chips to the coals that its over directly but a side fire box would be hottest near entry into the chamber. Does your smoker do both indirect and direct grilling/ smoking - grill a steak directly with hood up about 4min on each side

Steaks are best over high flame so they sear and are red inside. Period! LOL
Now as for beef, you should smoke a brisket! This may take 14 hours. Well worth it.

LUCKYDOG said:
The minion method wont help in temps that is for a longer burn- first off I wouldnt smoke a steak it would just dry out before its done you can add chips to the coals that its over directly but a side fire box would be hottest near entry into the chamber. Does your smoker do both indirect and direct grilling/ smoking - grill a steak directly with hood up about 4min on each side

thats not entirely true.. in my uds, if i start with 10-15 briquettes, use the minion method i will range from 225-250*F in temps. it keeps a steady temp and once you get it up to desired smoking temp and use your air intakes, maybe its just me but thats how i contol my temps

thehotpepper.com said:
Now as for beef, you should smoke a brisket! This may take 14 hours. Well worth it.

When I did my ribeye yesterday, I waited until everything else was done and just put a rack right on top of the bowl with the coals. Then I threw a few mesquite chips in there. About 5 mins on each side and it was perfect. The meat was maybe 3 inches above the hot coals so it was hot. Best way to make a steak for me.

thehotpepper.com said:

Cant get a brisket in Germany.

LUCKYDOG said:

I think I'll wait till I am done cooking every thing else throw a log on and leave the hood up on the smoking compartment and grill it that way..............funny thing is I tried to smoke pork chops the same way I mentioned in the thread starting post and they turned out perfect I just didn't leave them on as long.

Back