• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Old Stillmanz Texas Pequin Hot Sauce

*Copied and pasted from The Hot Zone Online*

I just received a very large package from our buddy Bent of Alpha Nerdz. It’s basically Australia in a box and contained sauces from three of the land down under’s finest hot sauce companies. Today we’ll be examining one from Old Stillmanz.

Old Stillmanz Texas Pequin Hot Sauce Ingredients: Pequins, garlic, salt, pepper, spices, honey, and apple cider vinegar.

Now, I would take a pic of this one but it’s doesn’t have a label so I’ll spear you guys from looking at a woozy with handwriting on it. The sauce bottle also says, “*Caution Very Runny*” and boy they weren’t kidding. But keep in mind, Texas style sauces are supposed to be runny.

This sauce also tastes quite vinegary but it isn’t as bad as you usually get due to the nice sweetness that the apple cider vinegar adds. Then comes in the honey but it’s a very small taste and kinda gets crunched by the vinegar. Up next is the peppers and boy do I love Pequins! Speaking of peppers, you’ll notice a lot of pepper seeds in this which is something that differs from most Texas styles. This is due to the fact that Pequins have a ton of seeds in such a small package and it’s not worth taking the seeds out. Also, it’s hard to grind all those seeds, you’re bound to miss a bunch of them.

Coming around the corner is the salt and then the pepper (read: peppercorn). Lastly is the nice hint of garlic which rides this sauce off into the sunset. As for the heat, it’s quick, short, and sweet. Hotter than most Texas styles.

I did cook extensively with this and found that the vinegar bite definitely diminishes and some of the sweetness starts to come out more prominently. Overall, if you like Texas style sauces, then you’ll love this beauty!

If you like that style: Taste: 7, Heat: 5

If you don’t like Texas style: Taste: 6, Heat: 5

Its a fine sauce, unusual in that its thin and the seeds sink....as you get to the bottom of the bottle it gets hotter. Like all of Ol Man Stillmanz 'labeled' sauces, it's a great all rounder.

Back