• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Oldest seeds that you have germinated

Just curious to know what was the age of the oldest seeds that you successfully germinated and how did you store them?

Been away from the game for a bit. I still have seeds from 2010 that I got from the Hippie Seed company in addition to some Primo seeds from the source that I packed in baggies with silica. Not using them this year but hope to use them next year.

So what say you?

Maligator said:
Just curious to know what was the age of the oldest seeds that you successfully germinated and how did you store them?
18 months. Stored in impermeable seed packet with no exposure to light, exposed to temperature of 34-37 ºC.

No, I did not get 100% germination rate.  :party:

I have some seeds I am trying to germinate right now without success that are nearly 60 years old.  They come from peppers that were grown by my great, great grandfather.  I am also interested to know the answer to this question... because if someone (a trusted member) is skilled at germinating old seed stock, then I would love for them to take a crack at growing some of these out!

Noah Yates said:
I have some seeds I am trying to germinate right now without success that are nearly 60 years old.  They come from peppers that were grown by my great, great grandfather.  I am also interested to know the answer to this question... because if someone (a trusted member) is skilled at germinating old seed stock, then I would love for them to take a crack at growing some of these out!
I would say if they cannot sprout in an aero garden then there is no hope. Every single hard species to grow I have had almost perfect success in the cheater tank. I reserve it just for that reason. 

If your talking about peppers and tomatoes somewhere around 20 + years old.Those seeds were in a good safe place.There a lot of if's when dealing with seeds.Heat and cold can make them no good.

I've germinated 4-6 year old pepper & tomato seeds with good germination rates that were stored in a zipock in the basement using peat pellets, but for anything difficult or really old I'd recommend the areogarden.  Got one used on ebay for $79 and it's been worth every penny.    

Deep freeze. Store in container with rice and I've herd of 80% germ rate at 20 years.
Don't hold me to it but I do deep freeze seeds that I don't plan to grow anytime soon and I don't want to lose:-)

I have been wondering this as well. Not a pepper seed but I recently saw this:

A male date palm tree named Methuselah that sprouted from a 2,000-year-old seed nearly a decade ago is thriving today, according to the Israeli researcher who is cultivating the historic plant.

Oldest I've personally germinated were 4 years old, stored in a sealed bag in the fridge using peat pellets and a heat mat. Had close to 100% germination.

I haven't done this long enough to have really old seeds. I think 5 year old seeds and they did well. I'm picky on my storing, so I know they will be good for a much longer time. Seeds stored in paper envelopes. They go into mason jars with indicating desiccant in the bottom of the jar, insuring low moisture content. The mason jars have a pin hole in the top and a valve which allows me to use a pump and create a strong vacuum seal. Stored in a dark,cool location. Tom

Tried a few varieties this year that are 3 years old, stored in the basement in an envelope in a drawer. 0.00 success including the aero garden. 

Maybe need to try a different storage method.

Update to this thread...I am attempting to germinate some seeds that are from 2010 using the paper towel method. Started them yesterday for my mom because she asked for my help.

Also, I've read about those of you that seem to really like the Aero gardens for seed germination. I may have been looking at the Aerogarden site every single day waiting for the one I wanted to be a "deal of the day".

Just so happens that today was that day. Just bought the Aerogarden Bounty Elite with 20% off and it came with the free Sprout which is an additional seed germination lighted system.

Did I really NEED it, nope, but how can I truly use the scientific method of comparing germination success between paper towels and the Aerogarden without it ;)

bpiela said:
When you say "aerogarden", you are talking about the product from Miracle Grow, right?
Yup, that's the one. I know I could've probably made a hydro seed starting system as I've read the threads but I figured since this was my first dealings with anything hydroponic related I'd just buy one.
seasmoke said:
Indian PC-1, harvested seed in 1997 and germinated in 2014.
That's impressive ;)

Interesting thread.

I'm also trying to germinate some very old seeds (50+ years at an estimate).

The seeds have been kept in an unknown condition for all this time, and they may even have been oven dried to begin with but it's fun to try :) I've got some in a paper towels and some in Jiffy plugs, and I have my fingers crossed. Seeds are small and it has been suggested they are chiltepin.

Ben.

Ben123 said:
Interesting thread.

I'm also trying to germinate some very old seeds (50+ years at an estimate).

The seeds have been kept in an unknown condition for all this time, and they may even have been oven dried to begin with but it's fun to try :) I've got some in a paper towels and some in Jiffy plugs, and I have my fingers crossed. Seeds are small and it has been suggested they are chiltepin.

Ben.
I'd be interested in hearing about the results of your experiment! If you would he so kind as to report back your results it would be appreciated. Thanks and best of luck to you ;)

Back