• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Olympic athlete dies....

No, I agree, you shouldnt have to die because you cross the limit... however, there are multiple factors involved, I work in risk management and there are risks associated with everything you do... there is a risk tomorrow you'll walk out your door and be hit by a bus...

anyone prepared for winter olympic sports can be killed in training let alone competition.. it is a tragedy, perhaps one that could have been obviously avoided, but now why limit the potential for competition?

It is very sad and tragic that this guy died. It's horrible. And from what I saw it was preventable - they should have built the wall from the start.

However, even with that said I don't think he deserved to die. It's a risk he runs though. All the athletes that take part in the Winter Games run this risk (except maybe the cross-country skiers). Ski jump, down hill,even the snowboard half-pipe (see the video of Shaun White make a mistake and crack his head on the side of the half-pipe). Look at the short track where the US skater falls and his own skate almost caused him to bleed to death. It's why they do what they do. The thrill, the danger, the adrenaline rush. If this happened to a downhill skier or ski jumper people wouldn't be talking about it as much. People would be more like hey it's a risk they run.

But may the rest of the games go without incident.

Go USA.

Back