food Omnivore Chili

Inspired by the members of the THP and moved to act by a good price on Ground round, I decided to make my first chili.

The Tease:
1264994050.jpg

The Spices:
1264994075.jpg

Lessee, whats in these pictures- a pound of ground round, carrots, celery, an onion, garlic, a can o black beans, a can o dark red kidney beans, two cans o Hunts fire roasted tomatoes...

Spices: Coriander, cumin, ajwan, a shaker with Congo Trinidad Habenero from Patrick, a packet from Patrick that says "Fatali" and two dried habenros from the habenero fairy.

(I dont know why my camera makes orange things red. honest, my carrots arent red!)

taste test:
1264995677.jpg

Then I decided to also add- a tablespoon of dried basil, two tablespoons of brown sugar, and a generous splashing of Tabasco chipotle

cookin in the pot:

1265001602.jpg

honey-buckweat-cornbread pancakes to go with:

1265001609.jpg

Plate up:

1265141949.jpg

Thank you for your patience with my cell phone phtography!

Dear Lady Celeste....you had me at Chili but lost me at "beans". It's okay...I'll pickem' out. Celeste for the Hot, Blue, and Righteous!!

Celeste that combo sounds great. Nice take on corn bread. Don't listen to TB.... you never said it was Texas style chili and there are no rules :P

texas blues said:
Dear Lady Celeste....you had me at Chili but lost me at "beans". It's okay...I'll pickem' out. Celeste for the Hot, Blue, and Righteous!!

Look at it this way, if you pick 'em out at least you'll have something to fling at THP, JT, or stuff them up your nose.

Ms. Celeste, how's the flavor?

Chili flavors tend to blend and mellow after a few hours and mostly to the next day. How is it NOW? And hopefully you'll have saved some for the most awesome TOMORROW!

GO BEANS!

salsalady

Mmmmm chillllliiiiiii. Bloody nice first attempt there Celeste.

It has been ages since i made a chilli.....

salsalady said:
Ms. Celeste, how's the flavor?

Oh, I made enough to lat me a week or two, salsalady- the bowl in the pic is actually the second day's serving!

Chili flavors tend to blend and mellow after a few hours and mostly to the next day. How is it NOW? And hopefully you'll have saved some for the most awesome TOMORROW!

GO BEANS!

salsalady

I'm on the third day, and I have to say, I did pretty good! I really like that particular spice combo- and adding the brown sugar allowed me to up the heat level. Four kinds of chili peppers gives it a nice round warm all over feeling! -much better than the "three can chili" I used to throw together from Aldi's.

TB and THP- there is a very good reason I named it OMNIVORE chili. If you was eatin at my table, Mr. Blues, I'd make it without the beans for you. For NJA I'd happily make the vegetarian version- which would have corn in it and probably another variety of beans as well. _Me, I happen to like beans, for their own sakes, and because adding them made it stretch to cover my lunches for at least a week!

Thank ya'll for your kind words...Nova, chili's cold weather food- and I have a feeling your experienceing temps opposite of me....

Celeste and others,
check out quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wa) for non-meat chili. It's a non-gluten grain that adds a meat consistency to chili. I've used it in chili for my omnivores, and they don't even know the meat is missing.

PS- being the basically lazy person that I am, I LOVE cooking a pot of chili and not having to cook again for days.

Or yellow lentils cut in half (like split peas) instead of beans or meat.

Just look for split lentils. I like yellow, but red would look good color-wise.

:rofl:

You must have done something.

Heeeey what did I do?

That chilli looks awesome Celeste!!! I've had to start doing mine without the beans due to being annihilated when I enter the bedroom after MrMel has gone to bed... I'd prefer not to sleep on the couch in order to avoid the assault on my nostrils :scared:

I like quinoa-but I would use it instead of couscous, not meat! lentil is a good protein. Having given vegetarianism a good five year run(which ended some years ago), and having food allergies, I am not much impressed with ANYTHING claiming to be a sub for anything else. Silk works like milk in recipes, but no soymilk tastes like milk. Meat analogs make you acutely aware that there is no meat, Carob for chocolate and Soy Cheese and any gluten bread substitutes that pretend to equal the original are just lies. That being said, Carob, soymilk and cashew cheese (that I make) are good in their own rights- they are just not the same as what they replace. Many meatlovers also love lentils and hummus, and sometimes they are surprised that they "dont miss" the meat.

Mel- to combat the odiferous after-effects of beans, add one of these(or all of them?) to your pot: Kombu- a Japanese seaweed. get the flat leaves, not the shredded stuff- add a leaf like bacon as seasoning, pull it out before serving. Ajwan or ajawan- an Indian spice- also used in herbal remedies for asthmatics. Savory- a European herb. All of these contribute to the "digestability" of beans. Of course, the modern "beano" also works well I am told by those who use it!

I'm diggin the food AND that funky, vintage two-burner hot plate. That is so COOL!!!! In fact, I'm lovin' the whole kitchen.....that brick has got me wanting to rip down my foo-foo wallpaper and grab the mortar!

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!!

Don't know how I missed this thread. I love chili and like the idea of serving them with the pancakes. I'm impressed!

Back