On Cutlery ...

Love his work!!!!

Any fans of Old Hickory on this site?

hickory5.jpg

I'm a big fan of relatively expensive knives, but this knife seems to have a cult following with the BBQ crowd. Is it really that good? I mean, how good can the steel really be for $15.00?

I have one ...

Thing will last forever ... and each time I want to use it, though, it needs to have the rust removed and be sharpened per use ...

It's a cleaver of pulled meat in my house, no more ...

grantmichaels said:
I have one ...

Thing will last forever ... and each time I want to use it, though, it needs to have the rust removed and be sharpened per use ...

It's a cleaver of pulled meat in my house, no more ...
. Put a light coating of mineral oil or olive oil on it to prevent rust. You can also force a patina on it which will slow rust formation and it will hold the oil better. I actually play with forced patinas on knives all the time to make cool patterns :-)

Sorry this isn't a kitchen knife and the pic doesn't belong in here but I just wanted to show you what you can do with patinas. This is one of my custom made knives made by Griffin Made Knives (Gary Griffin), I used a grapefruit to make the patina pattern, almost looks like damascus :-).

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2014/07/ask-a-knifemaker-the-truth-about-rust/

Don't use the chemicals at the end of the article, NOT FOOD SAFE... Just wanted to post the link because it kind of describes how a patina fights bad rust (iron oxide).
Jeff H said:
Any fans of Old Hickory on this site?

hickory5.jpg

I'm a big fan of relatively expensive knives, but this knife seems to have a cult following with the BBQ crowd. Is it really that good? I mean, how good can the steel really be for $15.00?
Steel is important in a knife blade but the heat treatment of the blade is just as if not more important than steel type. Many cheap steels can out perform higher quality steels, it all depends on the heat treatment. Many overlook this aspect on knives.

SmokenFire said:
That top knife looks badass sevenstrings!
Thanks! I collect custom hand forged knives :-). I'm obssessed with blades. None of them are kitchen knives so I won't post pics in here, mabey I will start a knife thread in the lounge or somethin?

sevenstrings said:
Thanks! I collect custom hand forged knives :-). I'm obssessed with blades.

Guitars and knives and hot peppers eh?  Glad ya joined.  :)

sevenstrings said:
Lol, used to be a photographer as well but had to sell all my gear when I lost my job :-/

Have you posted in the guitar thread yet? Under the entertainment forum.

Myxlplyk said:
The first of my new collection...

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3200/k2pame/products/58492/images/46987/DSC_2438_2__32631.1405716494.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I never knew a knife that size could weigh so little. No effort to cutting, as going thru an onion feels like going thru tofu. It's like the knife tells the food what to do, and the food obeys. No effort. Love the handle, as well.

The Henkel, Zwilling outlet off I-44 in Lebanon, MO has some good prices on their knives. I couldn't beat their price for my knife online. I told my wife I'm getting one everytime I drive thru. LOL
sweet knife
JoynersHotPeppers said:
That was a great video thanks for sharing it with us. 

SavinaRed said:
If anyone is even considering purchasing a new chefs knife or paring knife you will not be disappointed with this set. I have them both and they are great knives. At this price its a great bargain.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/starter-knife-set-p115790

I bought the larger one a while back and I use that knife for anything that requires finesse, and it's kept sharper than the others ...

If I catch Danielle chopping wood/plastic w/ it, I say something ... only that one, though ...

Back