• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

One plant dropping leaves, one plant seemingly dying?

Up to a few days ago I had some decent looking plants going.. Now, some of them aren't looking so hot. I'm not sure what happened, they didn't get watered for 24 hours, but I can't imagine that it would cause them to do this.. They were indoors while not being watered, and I watered them last night, but they don't seem to be recovering. The other plants seem to be okay, but have also dropped a couple leaves. I recently fertilized with a 12-12-12(Nitrogen, Phosphate, Potash) that someone recommended, and I feel like that might be the cause.. The Carolina Reaper are dropping perfectly green leaves, and the Fatali is seemingly refusing to drop leaves and hunching over.

Here's a before, it's the plants on the right:
http://imgur.com/FhOh5ao

Here's the after:
http://i.imgur.com/n1xpWtZ

I watered them last night.. But they aren't perking up. :/ It's a shame, it's the two plants I wanted to be great, too. Fatali on the left, and Carolina Reaper on the right.

Edit:

Here are some more updated pictures.
http://imgur.com/QYTmynn (Left to right: Douglah 7pot, Moruga Scorpion, Fatalli, Reaper)
http://imgur.com/mYPyABD
http://imgur.com/bArYxBj
http://imgur.com/qjM1kRO
http://imgur.com/bdw0yWb
http://imgur.com/Xa51unn
http://imgur.com/fvk2465

What in the world is the explanation for the Moruga Scorpion plant being fine, while the others are suffering? It's even in the same pot as the suffering 7pot.

The general consensus seems to be that I overwatered them, overfertilization, hardening off went wrong, or a combination of all three. Is there anything I can do besides just waiting out? Should I repot them in new soil that doesn't have the fertilizer watered through it? It seems the newer growth is being affected now too. The Reaper is still holding on to its flowers at the very top, even though the leaves are curled?

OKGrowin said:
i'd say stop watering.
Stop watering? I hadn't watered in a little over 24 hours and this happened..

PepperLover said:
it is the fertilizer that did this, u must used too much 

I used half a tablespoon of the 12-12-12 sprinkled around each plant. The instructions called for a full tablespoon.

What can I do about this? The other plants I used the same amount and they seem fine.

Plants are small, and every week is too much for peppers. Those instructions are made for other plants that like ferts more, like most flowers and some other crops. Poke the soil, if it's wet, don't water. If it's dry, then you can. Stop watering, wait a few days, and see what happens.

cruzzfish said:
Plants are small, and every week is too much for peppers. Those instructions are made for other plants that like ferts more, like most flowers and some other crops. Poke the soil, if it's wet, don't water. If it's dry, then you can. Stop watering, wait a few days, and see what happens.
I'm not understanding? This is the first time I used a 12-12-12 fertilizer on them, or any fertilizer on them, since I've gotten them. And I used 1/4th the recommended amount, for peppers. 1/2 a tablespoon for two plants, once, is going to kill it?

dont water them, dont expose them to direct sun. try to keep them in the shade, let the dirt dry and just give them some water by sparing the leafs not through the roots. 

Did you just recently move them outside from inside? I know my plants did something very similar and lost a lot of leaves due to not hardening them off properly before setting them out. For what it's worth, I don't know how hot it is there, but root temperature can be a factor as well. I used a small pot such as yours on concrete in the past and the soil got so hot it literally cooked my plant. I agree with the others and would say to hold off on a strong fert such as the one you listed for now. Once you can get your plant to looking healthy again then you can start messing with the ferts saying that this isn't a nutrient issue which I don't think it is.

spicy_echo said:
Did you just recently move them outside from inside? I know my plants did something very similar and lost a lot of leaves due to not hardening them off properly before setting them out. For what it's worth, I don't know how hot it is there, but root temperature can be a factor as well. I used a small pot such as yours on concrete in the past and the soil got so hot it literally cooked my plant. I agree with the others and would say to hold off on a strong fert such as the one you listed for now. Once you can get your plant to looking healthy again then you can start messing with the ferts saying that this isn't a nutrient issue which I don't think it is.
I've been bringing it outside every day, and inside every night. They were doing great for the week I was doing it, fortunately the roof of my apartment apparently doesn't get too hot.. But then I left to go upstate to visit family for a day, and came back to this. My only thought could be the fertilizer. It did get hot over the day I was gone, but they were inside all day, and like I said, the other plants I have are fine. 4 of them, two in another pot, and 2 outside of the pots that are still in little cups, are doing great. The other pot got the same amount of fertilizer, but is okay.

I guess I'll remove the top layer of soil that has the fert on it and then water through, try to clean out the pot?

I've had issues with taking plants outside sometimes. Reaper got horribly burned, but never drooped at all, brain strain droops still but doesn't burn, sunrise scorpion did both, douglah was fine, giant 7 pod lost leaves but never drooped or anything, and my seedlings with only 2 or 3 true leaves started growing faster with no ill effects.

the fert is fine, hows the drainage on the pots? i said to stop watering because my guess is overwatering or some kind of shock from moving the plants inside and outside constantly

OKGrowin said:
the fert is fine, hows the drainage on the pots? i said to stop watering because my guess is overwatering or some kind of shock from moving the plants inside and outside constantly

I agree. It looks like transplant shock or hardening shock. Since you haven't transplanted them out of pot recently then I'm assuming it's as OKGrow is saying.

OKGrowin said:

The drainage is fine, three holes. I have been watering them until some water trickles out the bottom, and it had been working fine.

The plants were doing really, really good from moving them in and out. I'd been doing it all week and they were showing no bad signs, some droopage, but then they'd pick up. It's just after this 24-ish hour span I wasn't here and they stayed inside.

I had assumed transplant/hardening shock and what not caused them to stunt, not to drop all their leaves and hunch over. The other two plants that were with them the entire time and followed the exact same schedule are looking fine.

you're disagreeing with everything lol.

Not water, not soil, not ferts, not lighting, not containers, not pests, not diseases, not climate, not shock......... i have no idea then bro

I had a couple of plants just do this for pretty much no reason. Sometimes you never find the real reason. Sometimes the plants will come back again, one did, one didn't. Top tip from me - if you DONT know what caused it then don't try all sorts of things to fix it. You're likely to make it worse. 
just noticed on the 'before' photo of the plant on the left when magnified - looks like thrips damage to me. Have you seen it?

its just too much at once. too much water, ferts (peppers hardly need to be fed, diluted doses infrequently)new environment ect

slow her down and you will be fine

OKGrowin said:
you're disagreeing with everything lol.

Not water, not soil, not ferts, not lighting, not containers, not pests, not diseases, not climate, not shock......... i have no idea then bro
I'm not disagreeing.. I'm giving my half of the story, since I'm getting completely opposite answers. I'm getting people saying it's hardening shock.. But that doesn't make sense as far as I've understood it. If it does make sense, please, just explain. I thought it would stunt it, not make them drop all their leaves and hunch over like death.

I think it might be fertilizer, I even asked you what I should do in that case.. But then I have multiple responses saying the fertilizer is fine..

moosery said:
I had a couple of plants just do this for pretty much no reason. Sometimes you never find the real reason. Sometimes the plants will come back again, one did, one didn't. Top tip from me - if you DONT know what caused it then don't try all sorts of things to fix it. You're likely to make it worse. 

just noticed on the 'before' photo of the plant on the left when magnified - looks like thrips damage to me. Have you seen it?
I get the idea of if you don't know what's broke, it could make it worse. But I just don't know what to do. These are the two plants I really wanted, and they're seemingly dying terribly.

And I had aphids a couple weeks ago, but since, haven't found a single one on any plants after checking daily.

Something that confuses/worries me is the two totally different way the plants reacted. The Carolina Reaper just started dropping leaves like crazy, and the Fatalli is looking horrid.

part of growing peppers is losing peppers. I don't mean to sound harsh but this sort of thing happens a LOT. For example last year I lost pretty much everything to broad mites. This year I've lost a few plants to thrips and it's not over yet.

I had assumed transplant/hardening shock and what not caused them to stunt, not to drop all their leaves and hunch over.

This year 6 of my superhots I more or less skipped hardening off altogether. The result? Plants hunching over and loss of leaves.

moosery said:
part of growing peppers is losing peppers. I don't mean to sound harsh but this sort of thing happens a LOT. For example last year I lost pretty much everything to broad mites. This year I've lost a few plants to thrips and it's not over yet.

I know, this is my second year trying.. And it looks like gardening/growing is just not my thing, at all. I have a black thumb, it seems.

Spicy Mushroom said:

This year 6 of my superhots I more or less skipped hardening off altogether. The result? Plants hunching over and loss of leaves.

How has it been? What did you do?

Back