One plant dropping leaves, one plant seemingly dying?

It was mostly a matter of time. They lost a lot of leaves and generally didn't look too hot. Then a couple weeks later there was plenty of healthy new growth. I've fertilized once [bout the strength you did], only water when they are droopy and every other water I mix milk into the feeding.

Spicy Mushroom said:
 It was mostly a matter of time. They lost a lot of leaves and generally didn't look too hot. Then a couple weeks later there was plenty of healthy new growth. I've fertilized once [bout the strength you did], only water when they are droopy and every other water I mix milk into the feeding.
Hrm, so, just let it dry out and then rewater like normal? I've been misting the leaves as per someone else's request, instead of watering. It looked kinda like the Fatalli in my picture? The one with the leaves, but is hunched. I don't even understand how it's still holding onto the leaves, while the carolina reaper just said 'Fuck it' to all the leaves, but stood straight up.

Thanks for the help.

I have 3 reapers.. they both lost ALL the leaves.  For me it was a mix of overwatering, a heat wave and a lack(then after) an excess of nutrients.  The reapers litereally was barren, then I transplanted it into FFOF with an extra 15% of perlyte, drilled some holes on the pot and within 2 weeks the plants are bushy.  Reapers seem to lose all leaves at the sign of stress.  

Emald001 said:
I have 3 reapers.. they both lost ALL the leaves.  For me it was a mix of overwatering, a heat wave and a lack(then after) an excess of nutrients.  The reapers litereally was barren, then I transplanted it into FFOF with an extra 15% of perlyte, drilled some holes on the pot and within 2 weeks the plants are bushy.  Reapers seem to lose all leaves at the sign of stress.  
Ah, alright. So, maybe I'll just hold off on watering until it's bone dry again. What's an FFOF?

Thanks.

kgetpeppers said:
I think there was just too much stress, definate overwater and strong ferts for a transplant.
So, do you think with holding off on watering, ferts, and hardening off, it'll recover? Should I spray the leaves with some water every so often?

Crack a beer or six. I agree on the laying off everything. FFOF is fox farms ocean forest - a bagged compost mix (I'm guessing), what are you using?

Pot should feel light before you water every time. 3 holes may not mean good drainage, the bottom couple inches could be a soggy mess.

My reapers dropped leaves when they were pissed at me too.

edit: My big lesson I learned over the winter -- they're resilient and chances are they will recover.

AaronRiot said:
Crack a beer or six. I agree on the laying off everything. FFOF is fox farms ocean forest - a bagged compost mix (I'm guessing), what are you using?

Pot should feel light before you water every time. 3 holes may not mean good drainage, the bottom couple inches could be a soggy mess.

My reapers dropped leaves when they were pissed at me too.

edit: My big lesson I learned over the winter -- they're resilient and chances are they will recover.

I'm using "Black Gold - Natural and Orange," supposedly specifically for vegetables like tomatoes and pepper plants.

Fair enough on the drainage. I assume it's draining well, since if I pour too much, a puddle forms in the bottom holder thing. I took a pen and put a couple holes down in the soil, good idea? I think I remember reading that it allows more air and dries it out quicker.

I really hope they recover, since this morning, one of the plants in the other pot is now dying off quick.. 

A big question I have is if it loses *all* of its leaves and is just a stem, can it still recover? The reaper has some smaller leaves, but the leaves at the top look like they're about to go. They're curling back towards the stem at this point..

The Fatalli seems like it'll bounce back the best, considering it's still somehow holding almost every leaf it had.

Looks like the root zone was too warm to me.

And yes even if they lose all their leaves they can still bounce back. I cut a jalapeno down to a stump later winter and it is currently doing very well, loading up with pods.
You are growing this in your roof? Perhaps the ambient heat is warming up the root zone. Let year I had a bell pepper plant on our balcony, the surface of which gets quite hot, and the plant pretty much looked like yours by midday everyday.

I am at work now, and the system is blocking my access to imgur, but I remember your pots were darker color. If I have right, you could cover them in white or in aluminium foil, to prevent the overheating of pot/soil/root.
Also when using liquid fertilizer (don't know what kind is yours), you should NOT use it on dry soil, the soil must be at least a bit moist.

filmost said:
Looks like the root zone was too warm to me.

And yes even if they lose all their leaves they can still bounce back. I cut a jalapeno down to a stump later winter and it is currently doing very well, loading up with pods.
You are growing this in your roof? Perhaps the ambient heat is warming up the root zone. Let year I had a bell pepper plant on our balcony, the surface of which gets quite hot, and the plant pretty much looked like yours by midday everyday.
I felt the bottom of the pots every time I took them inside and they weren't unusually warm or anything. But yeah, unfortunately, I have no other option besides a window sill. If they go back out, I'll have to think of something to put them on. They weren't like this for the past week while I was hardening them off, or at least trying. They did a typical droop and then picked up. Then they were inside for ~24 hours without water and this is what I came back to. :(

rghm1u20 said:
I am at work now, and the system is blocking my access to imgur, but I remember your pots were darker color. If I have right, you could cover them in white or in aluminium foil, to prevent the overheating of pot/soil/root.
Also when using liquid fertilizer (don't know what kind is yours), you should NOT use it on dry soil, the soil must be at least a bit moist.

They're a pale greenish pot. I don't think they're that dark, personally. :(
Also, not using a liquid fertilizer. It was a physical fertilizer I got from a place I tried to get grown plants from that recommended to fertilize them around 1 foot.

If I were you, I'd let it recover by itself.  Everything you've mentioned basically debunks what we've though are things that are wrong with it.  I will drill holes in the pot, for more air flow, I would repot in some higher amount of perlite, and let it do its thing.. plans have been growing for many years without our help or lack of.  Let nature take its course after you see that you have provided the best possible home for it.  just my two cents.  FFOF is soil that has all the nutrients right out of the bag.. great stuff. 

Emald001 said:
If I were you, I'd let it recover by itself.  Everything you've mentioned basically debunks what we've though are things that are wrong with it.  I will drill holes in the pot, for more air flow, I would repot in some higher amount of perlite, and let it do its thing.. plans have been growing for many years without our help or lack of.  Let nature take its course after you see that you have provided the best possible home for it.  just my two cents.  FFOF is soil that has all the nutrients right out of the bag.. great stuff. 

Do you think it would be a good idea to repot them in their current state? Here's some more pictures:
http://imgur.com/QYTmynn
http://imgur.com/mYPyABD
http://imgur.com/bArYxBj
http://imgur.com/qjM1kRO
http://imgur.com/bdw0yWb
http://imgur.com/Xa51unn
http://imgur.com/fvk2465

"Hrm, so, just let it dry out and then rewater like normal?"

Yeah basically. My soil and container has such good drainage I don't check the soil I just water when they are droopy. You might want to both wait until it droops and lift to see if pot is light.

I am wondering if the Reaper was just slower to grow its roots than the other plant and subsequently wasn't able to deal with the stress. 

Milkshakes00 said:
I would put them in theior own pots.;.. it looks like you got 2 plants per 3 gallon pot?  I would do better drainage and let it do its things.. those leaves are all going to fall off.  But it seems to have new growth at the bottom.  it will bounce back, but i think you must put them in their own pots.. Youll be fine..

I wouldn't even consider doing two per pot under 5 gallon. This year I am growing a bunch of annums 2 x 5 gallon. So far they are doing well but they suck up the water. Watering 2 x 3 gallon would be a nightmare in my heat.

Emald001 said:
I would put them in theior own pots.;.. it looks like you got 2 plants per 3 gallon pot?  I would do better drainage and let it do its things.. those leaves are all going to fall off.  But it seems to have new growth at the bottom.  it will bounce back, but i think you must put them in their own pots.. Youll be fine..
The new growth seems to be curling under like the top growth is, which is what's worrying me. It is growing the foliage, but they are also curling.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I wouldn't even consider doing two per pot under 5 gallon. This year I am growing a bunch of annums 2 x 5 gallon. So far they are doing well but they suck up the water. Watering 2 x 3 gallon would be a nightmare in my heat.

It was kind of just a middle ground, I intend to put each in a 3 gallon pot, since I live in an average sized apartment, I can't really have a bunch of 5 gallons, not enough room. Haha.

Basically, what everyone else said. Don't water until leaves r drooping, wilting. Then water, and don't water again until leaves r wilting again. And so on.

Back