One plant dropping leaves, one plant seemingly dying?

Milkshakes00 said:
The new growth seems to be curling under like the top growth is, which is what's worrying me. It is growing the foliage, but they are also curling.

It was kind of just a middle ground, I intend to put each in a 3 gallon pot, since I live in an average sized apartment, I can't really have a bunch of 5 gallons, not enough room. Haha.
Yea I hear you I live in a town house... And I have 2 5 gallons, and the rest are in 3-4 gallons.. all 12 of them. lol. 
If you have new growth curling... then i Would definitely say its a mite issue... at leasts that what people have said in the past.. it would nothurt though to repot them and rinse the roots and start all over..

Pretty sure all the superhots will be Chinese and most of the typical ones you'd pick up at hardwares store / nursery will be Annums. The Chinese want a little bigger. The normal suggestion is 1 per 4+ gallon. If you could get away with a couple 5 gallons I'd suggest placing your 2 most desired superhots in their own 5 gallons. I'm growing them (the Chinese) in individual 5s but will move them to individual 10 gallons a year later (if I overwinter successfully). Just do what you can to give those superhots more room to grow. If that means 1 per 3 gallon that's at least better!

I might have missed this but are you only growing superhots or do you have jalapeños, serrano, cherry, thai, etc

Emald001 said:
Yea I hear you I live in a town house... And I have 2 5 gallons, and the rest are in 3-4 gallons.. all 12 of them. lol. 
If you have new growth curling... then i Would definitely say its a mite issue... at leasts that what people have said in the past.. it would nothurt though to repot them and rinse the roots and start all over..

There were aphids a couple weeks ago, but they've since disappeared after I looked over them a lot. So, repotting might help?

Spicy Mushroom said:

Pretty sure all the superhots will be Chinese and most of the typical ones you'd pick up at hardwares store / nursery will be Annums. The Chinese want a little bigger. The normal suggestion is 1 per 4+ gallon. If you could get away with a couple 5 gallons I'd suggest placing your 2 most desired superhots in their own 5 gallons. I'm growing them (the Chinese) in individual 5s but will move them to individual 10 gallons a year later (if I overwinter successfully). Just do what you can to give those superhots more room to grow. If that means 1 per 3 gallon that's at least better!

I might have missed this but are you only growing superhots or do you have jalapeños, serrano, cherry, thai, etc

They're all super hots except for the Fatalli. Moruga, 7pot, Bubblegum 7pot, Reaper, and Bhut Jolokia.

Do you think repotting them in their current state is a good idea? Maybe change them to that FFOF soil? There's supposedly a retailer a few blocks away from me.

They definitely need to be repotted. Might be good to wait until they look less stressed. I would probably get antsy and repot too soon lol People praise the FFOF here so no doubt it's a good choice. That's not available where I am at and more or less make a custom mix. I think that would be great… maybe amend it with some sources of calcium as well. Calcium deficiency seems to be commonplace and Chinese apparently like to eat that much more of it.

*fyi my Moruga Scorpion is doing better than all my other superhots so far. Some just seem to be more buff than others. Could explain your situation. 

Spicy Mushroom said:
They definitely need to be repotted. Might be good to wait until they look less stressed. I would probably get antsy and repot too soon lol People praise the FFOF here so no doubt it's a good choice. That's not available where I am at and more or less make a custom mix. I think that would be great… maybe amend it with some sources of calcium as well. Calcium deficiency seems to be commonplace and Chinese apparently like to eat that much more of it.

*fyi my Moruga Scorpion is doing better than all my other superhots so far. Some just seem to be more buff than others. Could explain your situation. 
I took a risk and decided to repot them in their current state. I just repotted the Fatalli and Reapers, as they definitely seem the worst off.

I noticed that my Reaper has a brown/purple strip going up the stem, is that normal? O_o

Just curious if anyone can tell me what's going on with the stem of my Fatalli plant?

I haven't been watering them and I transplanted them to a dryer soil two days ago.

http://i.imgur.com/FSKyIcI.jpg

The stem looks like it's turning black? The very top of both the plants in the container are shriveling and turning black also, which I suspect is because of overwatering/fert burn, but that it'll regrow from? Just curious about the stem turning black like that also.

Can you take two new photos of the Reaper and Fatalii showing most of the plant? I'll check my Reaper and see what colors I have in my plant..

What's the lighting these 2 transfers getting? Are they also being put outside still? I personally [seek other advice] would consider topping the two a little bit. I'd give them a little outdoor direct sun but not much. I'd wait for some new healthy leaves to develop before giving more sun. Lots of indirect sun and light watering is all I would do and hope for the best for now..

*if you can't manage lots of indirect light indoors you might consider keeping them outdoors with shade cloth. Again seek second opinion for that.

Spicy Mushroom said:
What's the lighting these 2 transfers getting? Are they also being put outside still? I personally [seek other advice] would consider topping the two a little bit. I'd give them a little outdoor direct sun but not much. I'd wait for some new healthy leaves to develop before giving more sun. Lots of indirect sun and light watering is all I would do and hope for the best for now..

*if you can't manage lots of indirect light indoors you might consider keeping them outdoors with shade cloth. Again seek second opinion for that.

Currently they're getting very little sunlight. They are on a desk, next to the window, but there really isn't much sunlight going towards them. I could put them so they get a bit more indirect sunlight, but I'm not sure if I should top them. The top of the stems seem to be withering or about to abort the leaves anyway. I've never topped a plant.

Since I transferred them, I gave a *very* little amount of water, and not directly at the plant's base. I spread it out a bit, as you can see the darker spots in the soil. I'm afraid of at this point balancing the water and oxygen in the soil.

These new pots have drainage holes? I would drill a couple in the bottom if not, and couple in the sides. Honestly the light is the biggest issue here. They need more light. Indoor supplemental light or outdoors with some shade cloth methinks.

*Also a fan if primarily indoors needs to be present somewhat nearby to prevent mold and promote stronger growth.

Spicy Mushroom said:
These new pots have drainage holes? I would drill a couple in the bottom if not, and couple in the sides. Honestly the light is the biggest issue here. They need more light. Indoor supplemental light or outdoors with some shade cloth methinks.

*Also a fan if primarily indoors needs to be present somewhat nearby to prevent mold and promote stronger growth.

They're the same pots, with some more holes in the bottom. 5 of them now, they had 3 before. I plan on holding back on watering more. If the issue was primarily overwatering, it was my own fault, not the pot.

I placed them on the table closer to the window, they'll get direct light now. They normally were getting plenty of light, being either outside or on a window sill that gets 8+ hours of light a day, but someone earlier in the thread said to take them out of the light while they were trying to recover.

Fan is run every night except the past couple nights, since the plants are doing so poorly.

Back