• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

gnslngr said:
Man, I hope the Jay's Peach Bhut Scorps look like the Reds- :onfire: , That just looks A-grade Bad Ass.
I worked through the weekend ...and forgot to check out the vids- I got so used to not being able to for a while, that I forgot I could....time for a video marathon! :dance:
They definitely have a nice shape to em as well.  I am probably gonna knock out a review of that one tonight. 

Devv said:
Nice taste video's "Oh so brave one"!

I do one variety at a time and place them on Styrofoam plates that are marked with a permanent marker, put them on a spare table and wait for them to dry.. 
LOL, Thanks.  Thanks for the tip, do you cover them or just leave em as is?

stc3248 said:
Glad you figured it out....if you wanna fix your post, I'll edit the vids out of mine. 
Thanks, nah man, just keep em in your post.  You could use the "likes".... :rofl:

I just leave them on the plate for about 30 days and then sort out the best ones, tossing the few dark seeds I missed while harvesting.

My question is how is everyone storing the seeds until next plant out? So far I'm just keeping them in a drawer and the house is @ 78. I do put left over corn and some others in the freezer, but have wondered about pepper seeds...

Hi Matt!

Loving the pics your getting with the new light box you made!  And the captioning on the photos too!  I used to know how to do that, but I've forgotten now.

Loved the family review of the 7 Pot Bubblegum too!!!  Your wife did a great job of keeping her cool under pressure!  I haven't even eaten a super yet, but even the habaneros make me have to get up and pace the room!    :rofl:

Have to say, I am amazed at how fast your plants podded up, and what a big harvest you are about to have on your hands.  It's good to see you thoroughly immersed in pepper-world again.

Scott...I store mine in a drawer. I used to use the fridge. I wouldn't freeze them though...Just my .02! Greg (Pic1) has my favorite system...he uses baseball card binder sleeves and keeps them all neat and organized in three ring binders. Room temp is fine...my Jamaican Scotch Scotch Bonnet this year from Greg was harvested in 2007 and kept in his binder at room temp. 

PIC 1 said:
Your "Pepper-graphic" skills  and video reviews are taking this glog up another notch.
That Jay's Red Ghost Scorp is just crazy looking, dude. And all the other pod shots are rockin, also.
Thanks Greg!  I appreciate it.  Still honing it, working with lighting, and trying to really get it dialed in. 

Devv said:
I just leave them on the plate for about 30 days and then sort out the best ones, tossing the few dark seeds I missed while harvesting.

My question is how is everyone storing the seeds until next plant out? So far I'm just keeping them in a drawer and the house is @ 78. I do put left over corn and some others in the freezer, but have wondered about pepper seeds...
I have gone through a few different methods to store and categorize seeds.  They all get bagged, and then I put them into tupperware type containers.  But it was just a mess, so I found those accordion type folder/storage thingys at the store and picked a few up.  I label each divider (if it is the 7 pot folder the labels are Color, Place, Name, Billy Boy, Brain/Infinity, Hybrid). Ill throw up some photos and a more in-depth explanation in a day or 2. 

highalt said:
Hi Matt!

Loving the pics your getting with the new light box you made!  And the captioning on the photos too!  I used to know how to do that, but I've forgotten now.

Loved the family review of the 7 Pot Bubblegum too!!!  Your wife did a great job of keeping her cool under pressure!  I haven't even eaten a super yet, but even the habaneros make me have to get up and pace the room!    :rofl:

Have to say, I am amazed at how fast your plants podded up, and what a big harvest you are about to have on your hands.  It's good to see you thoroughly immersed in pepper-world again.
I just use power point.  It is so much easier than trying to do it in iphoto or similar programs. The wife did a great job and hopefully she shows up again in the future!

stc3248 said:
Scott...I store mine in a drawer. I used to use the fridge. I wouldn't freeze them though...Just my .02! Greg (Pic1) has my favorite system...he uses baseball card binder sleeves and keeps them all neat and organized in three ring binders. Room temp is fine...my Jamaican Scotch Scotch Bonnet this year from Greg was harvested in 2007 and kept in his binder at room temp. 
Yea, I like Greg's method as well.

I have a few vids uploading now, garden update for Tim and the Jay's Peach GS. 

Lots to catch up on. The pods are finally ripening up! The Assams are looking HOT

I really like the light box. It makes all the finer details of the pods pop out. Especially liking the Bubblegum 7 pics and that video was priceless. As always great reviews.

Those ghost scorps are super gnarly looking. I'd be scared to eat one haha

Love the video update of the garden, those Assam's are really putting out :). Can't wait to see some harvests shots!

So the landscape fabric giving you some issues for watering? Does the water pool at all after it rains?I thought u got the breathable type of fabric, still looking at it for next season with all the weeds this year.

Capsicum Select said:
Lots to catch up on. The pods are finally ripening up! The Assams are looking HOT

I really like the light box. It makes all the finer details of the pods pop out. Especially liking the Bubblegum 7 pics and that video was priceless. As always great reviews.

Those ghost scorps are super gnarly looking. I'd be scared to eat one haha
Yea man, I feel like that as well, if I miss a step, I have like tons of threads to catch up on.  I just pulled one Assam tonight, see the harvest pic below.  I will probably give it a shot tomorrow night, I wanna get an idea of taste and flavor on it for possible future crosses.

miksi said:
Garden is looking awsome! Great review like always!

Cheers,
miksi

Thanks for stoppin in!  I appreciate it!

Solem22 said:
Great looking grow you have! I'm glad the weed cloth is working out for you. Those pods are gonna be mighty tasty.  :fireball:
Thanks, I think it is great for the weeds, but I am not sure if I will go with it as extensive next season.  I am considering just going in between the rows (vice all over) so I can really make sure I hit the roots well with the compost tea. 

patrick said:
Matt it's great to know you're home and getting on with your life. My best to you and yours.
PATRICK!  Great to see ya back on here.  I was just thinkin about where ya been!  It is great to be back in the hot seat and thanks to all those here for gettin me on track!

Devv said:
Liked your videos, your plants are podding nicely!
Thanks man, it is great to see!

BrooklynXpat said:
Love the video update of the garden, those Assam's are really putting out :). Can't wait to see some harvests shots!

So the landscape fabric giving you some issues for watering? Does the water pool at all after it rains?I thought u got the breathable type of fabric, still looking at it for next season with all the weeds this year.
Well, you are in luck!  Got the first harvest shot below.  There were a few others that are hanging on the plants, but I wanted to let them go a bit longer. 

So I pulled my first harvest today!!  It was small, but it is just the beginning folks!  I am gonna try a few of them to get a baseline, and I hope to put up a review or two by the end of the week.  Also, for those of you who like to see my ugly mug on the camera, I have a special delivery coming in soon, and another 2 coming in over the next few weeks that are full of stuff that I am sure most people have never heard of.  I got a few buddies that are spending a lot of time trying to stabilize new varieties, and are sending me some test pods to see what I think.  As always, ill post the vids as the come!

Top: Yellow 7, 7, Bonda
Middle: Aji Colorado, Assam, Yellow Bhut, Lemon Drop
Bottom: Fatalii

Happy Humpday!
http://youtu.be/kWBhP0EQ1lA

MGOLD86 said:
Yea man, I feel like that as well, if I miss a step, I have like tons of threads to catch up on.  I just pulled one Assam tonight, see the harvest pic below.  I will probably give it a shot tomorrow night, I wanna get an idea of taste and flavor on it for possible future crosses.

Nice little harvest!  I can't wait for mine to get to that point.  I am eagerly awaiting that Assam review!

Back