• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Nice couple of reviews Matt... it looks like the Sepia Serpent wasn't too bad based on your reaction, but the UBSC had you looking really nervous in the service. I can sympathize... you needed to sit still for the camera, but it looked like you wanted to get up and go for a quick 2-mile run just to shake out the heebie-jeebies! ;)

MGOLD86 said:
Thanks man!  Shoot me your address in a PM, I got some stuff turning color with your name on it.
Thanks Matt :-P - Once my season hits high gear i'll return the favor in some way shape/form of a pepper package  :cool:

Nice pod pics Matt! I see a face in 7 pot you posted on the 2nd.

I have a time issue lately, now that I'm back to work, and need to catch up on the last two vids.

Everyday should be a vacation day!

PIC 1 said:
I tried a UBSC the other night...it sure packed the quick lingering heat. Brandon sent me some other crosses that are growing well. I hope his garden is doing as well as ours.
It is really impressive. I enjoyed the heat, even if it did kick me in the jewels.  I got a spot of stomach discomfort later on in the night but it passed about as quickly as I could down a nice glass of scotch!

stickman said:
Nice couple of reviews Matt... it looks like the Sepia Serpent wasn't too bad based on your reaction, but the UBSC had you looking really nervous in the service. I can sympathize... you needed to sit still for the camera, but it looked like you wanted to get up and go for a quick 2-mile run just to shake out the heebie-jeebies! ;)
Thanks Rick!  From what I have heard the SS is pretty bad...it was probably just a fluke.  The UBSC didn't disappoint though! Yea, I probably gould have gone for a quick run to bring my pain down!

Devv said:
Nice pod pics Matt! I see a face in 7 pot you posted on the 2nd.

I have a time issue lately, now that I'm back to work, and need to catch up on the last two vids.

Everyday should be a vacation day!
That face is the devil.  LOL.  It is really tough to stay invested on here, on youtube, on FB, etc.  I am lucky that I have time at work to do it, but I started some college classes today, and I should be good until about the beginning of September.  Then I am changing my work priorities and will be teaching.  From what I have heard it is gonna be a shit ton of work, so we shall see.  Good news....I start leave on Friday for a couple weeks.  So plenty of BBQ, smoked pods, garden time, and house work!
I have been wanting to try the SB7J for a while now.  I planted 10 seeds a few seasons back and nothing germed, so I have kept my eyes open ever since then in hopes to get ahold of some more seeds and/or a fresh pod.  

On Heat.  If you are looking for something that is going to blow the doors off, you are going to be disappointed.  This is definitely just slightly above the bonnet/hab range.  Not even in the fatalii ballpark. The heat concentrated on the tip of the tongue and the lips.  But it is not always about heat, this thing will be much more versatile in the kitchen.  And this is where the taste comes in.  

On Taste.  There is no doubt about it, this is now my favorite tasting chili.  When you bite into a pepper, there is a certain level of expectation as far as taste goes, and this one made me take a double take.  It is like nothing I have ever tasted before.  Very fruit forward, and it totally made me forget about the heat.

Vigor and Production.  This is still an unstable hybrid, so it is very difficult to judge these two categories.  I have seen a lot of pods that are not true to form, but when they are.....they are beautiful.

Heat: T3.75
Flavor: T1
Production: T3/2
Vigor: T3/2

My GLog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39420-operation-golden-garden/

You sure don't disappoint.  Glad to see that you are getting a bunch more pods change color.  I'm just starting to get some non-supers which is exciting.  It will be a close season with them since I started late.
Those pictures with the light box just keep getting better and better! I really like what you are doing with that.  Quite the box of samples you got there! Always impressed with your ability to down those and great reviews! I am definitely not at that level yet.

I was looking back at the super soil to get planning for next year already and was wondering what your calculations actually entailed for the ratios of nutrients, if you would be so kind to elaborate.

Fremp said:
Matt I like the background you've been using the past couple of vids. The vertical,and horizontal lines are perfect for creating depth,at least in my eyes!
Also, do you use editing software?
Thanks man, I prefer to shoot out there instead of inside....I am sure you guys like to see pepper plants instead of terribly painted yellow walls...lol. I use iMovie for video and iPhoto for photos.  I am thinking about upgrading to get more out of both, but I will probably start with the photo upgrade.  I want to get a new video camera because my dSLR only shoots in 10 min incraments, has to be refocused if I change the focal length, and will turn itself off if it is too hot and the sun is beating down on it.  I mainly adjust audio in post, but on one or 2 occasions I changed the brightness as it got darker outside. 

coheed196 said:
The one SB7J plant I hav is pprobably one of my top producers. I couldn'teven count how many pods are on tthat plant right now
That is good to know, it will make some killer sauces!

Capsicum Select said:
You sure don't disappoint.  Glad to see that you are getting a bunch more pods change color.  I'm just starting to get some non-supers which is exciting.  It will be a close season with them since I started late.
Those pictures with the light box just keep getting better and better! I really like what you are doing with that.  Quite the box of samples you got there! Always impressed with your ability to down those and great reviews! I am definitely not at that level yet.

I was looking back at the super soil to get planning for next year already and was wondering what your calculations actually entailed for the ratios of nutrients, if you would be so kind to elaborate.
Thanks!  I will post the actual measurements when I get home, but I am not sure if I will be going that route next season or not.  I will be potting up in the next week (taking some time off of work and will spend plenty of time in the garden!), and some pots will get the supersoil and some will go in the LC#2 mix from the link I posted (I think on pg 26).  Unless I get massively good results, I will probably hold off and go more basic.  The supersoil can be expensive, time consuming, and it may end up not being worth the effort.  It was a trial run and I will know more (and by proxy you guys will) in a couple weeks.  But if I do not go with it, I will probably follow the recommendations in the link.  LC mix #2 is for soiless (promix/ss).  From there I can still run my compost teas and fertilizers as usual.  See, I have plants in the ground that are going to need to be fed, so I might as well feed everything. 

So thanks again to Vincent for the pods, they are at the point where they need to be processessed before going bad.  I have another box on the way and I promise you that you are going to want to stay tuned....

That SB7J sounds like a keeper!

Damn, I'm almost 55 and never ate a Chinense until this year, The first was in some extraordinary hot sauce a co-worker brought in. That started the search quest for the perfect hot pepper, HA! I feel that may be a life long quest, but a cool one at that! The heat is fun to an extent, but the flavor is where it's at. Get the flavors down and deal with associated heat as one can handle. What I want is nice heat and flavor that I can taste for the duration, so far the few supers I have tasted are to hot to just eat as a snack. The Funky Reaper so far had the best overall flavor, it outlasted the heat and is a definite grow for next year...even if it's a freak...LOL

Hey Matt, what do you do your post processing in after shooting on the white background? Not a good example that I post but if you need some tips or tricks hit me up!

I'm liking these reviews, Matt.

Great idea to use your garden as the background.

Cool knife for the :hot: pods.

Get yourself a sweat/ snot towel and :beer:

:clap:

Fremp said:
Word,hmu when you get closer to pulling the trigger!
LOL.  Will do!

Devv said:
That SB7J sounds like a keeper!

Damn, I'm almost 55 and never ate a Chinense until this year, The first was in some extraordinary hot sauce a co-worker brought in. That started the search quest for the perfect hot pepper, HA! I feel that may be a life long quest, but a cool one at that! The heat is fun to an extent, but the flavor is where it's at. Get the flavors down and deal with associated heat as one can handle. What I want is nice heat and flavor that I can taste for the duration, so far the few supers I have tasted are to hot to just eat as a snack. The Funky Reaper so far had the best overall flavor, it outlasted the heat and is a definite grow for next year...even if it's a freak...LOL
I got started at 25, and in a few short years there has already been multiple records broken, tons of new strains, and even more peppers that I have got the opportunity to try.  I think that the SB7J has some great heat to it, not overpowering, but has a great flavor.  I will shoot you a couple seeds when they dry.  Let ya grow it for yourself next season and see if it fits into your quest!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Hey Matt, what do you do your post processing in after shooting on the white background? Not a good example that I post but if you need some tips or tricks hit me up!
Thanks Chris!  PM Sent.

GnomeGrown said:
I'm liking these reviews, Matt.

Great idea to use your garden as the background.

Cool knife for the :hot: pods.

Get yourself a sweat/ snot towel and :beer:

:clap:
Thanks man!  I appreciate the feedback, and thanks for the recommendation for a towel....got something that may fit the bill!

Was out in the garden this evening and took a few snaps.  Really sick pods turning!

Trinidad Scorpion.  These plants aren't heavy producers, however, they sure put off some awesome looking pods!

Assam....What else is there to say?!?

7 Pot.  The CC 7s are different than the Pepperlover 7 SRs.  Gotta give it a try to see the difference.

Dougies are turning color.  Already picked a few and sent them off.

Monster 7 Yellow

I just wanted to take a second and say that it is a great time of year.  We really get to see the sharing spirit of the people in this community and I am super fortunate to be able to try a boatload of more pods.  In a season where I originally thought I would be sitting on the sidelines, I have a healthy garden, a booming GLog, a ton of great friends, and tons of pods coming in to review.  Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way and those that will help me again in the future.

Love the vids Matt! I couldnt help but watch the dog lay down by the fence then jump up then down then up....good stuff!
Glad your season is going well. I read all about it before i joined the site and was moved!

Nice job all!!!

PrimeTime said:
Love the vids Matt! I couldnt help but watch the dog lay down by the fence then jump up then down then up....good stuff!
Glad your season is going well. I read all about it before i joined the site and was moved!

Nice job all!!!

Thanks!  Yea, those two dogs are crazy....probably don't get enough exercise so they dart around the yard uncontrollably when I let them out.  Thanks for stopping in, this place is definitely the best!

Ok folks, starting a new review series. 

Bottom line up front...the brown moruga is the hottest thing that I have ever eaten in my life.  There were times during my hell where I questioned why in the world someone would ever need to have a pepper this hot....then I realized because idiots like me eat it...

On Heat.  Seein Jesus, speaking in tongues, forget stubbed your toe....think stubbed your arm.....into a  wood chipper....This baby did not disappoint in the heat department.  Full body de-animation during this ride.  Started in my legs, moved to my arms, then up to my face.  I don't know any other way to say that this thing is hotter than the sun.  

On Taste.  For such a freaking scorcher, this badboy had a great taste.  It wasnt an SB7J, but it had a solid flavor and was really tasty until the heat took over.  Kinda hard to dwell on the flavor when I was getting punched in the face with heat.

On Vigor and Production.  I think that I am gonna combine these and/or get rid of Vigor.  If it is a strong producer, who cares how big the plant is.  Ill do my best to describe the growth habits, but for this one it is a heavy producer.  Everyone that I know of that is growing it has said that it puts out loads of pods.  

Just as a note, after I got done with the last segment, I didnt make it 2 minutes before everything came back up...not fun!  But I immediately felt better, and there has been no residual stomach discomfort.  

Thanks Steven and Judy!

My GLog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39420-operation-golden-garden/

And I also have a few more to go through....I turned them around so it will be a nice and big SURPRISE!!

Haha...wow. "I feel like my balls are shrinking up inside me!"  :rofl:

Dude, I felt ya all the way through. I haven't puked yet...at least not on a pod. There was this one incident involving some Dave's Insanity and a shot glass, but heck that was in Bahrain so it doesn't count right? That looked painful for sure brother. Great job! I hope one of them hiding tags is a Reaper so I can hear how they stack up! Damn the luck having to go back through and re-review with whole pods...I think I got another Moruga Red the size of a tennis ball if you want it! I don't think it or the Reaper will be as painful as the Brown Moruga though. Hmmmm...may have to grow this one after all. I have been reading some threads on it, and wasn't to interested until I saw that. Brian (Compmodder) said the same thing, and I have seen him do back to back reviews of 7 congo sr and a primo while maintaining his Beuller....Beuller...composure, freakin machine! I heard the Biz got lit by this one too. I like how Judy is releasing this one, sending it out and letting the pain speak for itself! No hype...no BS...just pure freaking PAIN!!!

I finally got caught up on your vids Matt! Wahooooo! Got taken for a ride buddddaaay! That Brown Scorp Moruga review was your best yet! When you started quoting taladega nights, I about died with laughter! Then you toss in Jim Carry for good measure lol

You say it's the hottest (or up there with the Jonah and Butch T) but also said it was the first whole pod you've popped like that. Do you think it still would have been up there with the Jonah and BT if you would have stuck with half?? Jonah's are huge pods, so even when you cut one of those in half, they're still the size of some normal pods lol. Awesome awesome reviews. I'm loving that they're in the backyard with the garden and dogs! Pure WIN.

Glad the plants worked out and you've got a badass garden (so clean and organized, I love that) that's giving you poddage.

Pizza pizza (NY thin) god now you've got my stomach talking....

Nice glasses, they even changed the way you talked...impressive what a dollar can get ya..lol

Stay classy Matt!

HAHAHA wow man! Earlier this week you encouraged me to have a crack at a more serious pod. After watching that review the moruga brown is well and truly OFF that shortlist! :shocked:  

Back