• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Thanks for stopping in guys (even if you want me to be in MORE pain...Bill...). I am down for the reaper, what's the worst that can happen :rofl:

You deserve it Jamie, I am happy it put a smile on your face.

I am uploading my review from earlier today now, but it has been a bit of a pain in the ass. The audio didn't sync up so I had to break up the audio track and edit by the second. Also, I have to do some editing once it is uploaded to YouTube, so hopefully I can get it up tonight, if not, it will be up tomorrow. Bottom line, I threw my shoes.

Alrighty, we are cooking now.

Watch in HD!

So I was really excited to get my hands on this one. I was more than happy to get the 7 Pot Primo Yellow, but to get the Madballz 7 Pot int he box as well I was really setup. I had a little oh-shit moment after I filmed the video, seeded the pods, and chopped up for later....I wasn't sure that I reviewed the right pod! I talked to Jamie and he said that they were both Madballz 7 Pots from two different seed sources. This is a perfect example of 2 of the 3 pod colors that are floating around out there, and I got the third growing on my porch! So at the end of the day Jamie finished out my hat trick!

Also, this video was a total pain in the ass to edit. Somehow the audi didn't match the vide and I filmed it with my computer's isight camera! So I had to spit the audi from the video and break the clips into manageable clips and move to fit my mouth. So sorry if there is some mismatched frames.

Ok, on to the review. Overall this pod reminded me that this hobby can sometimes be pretty painful! I got a bit of a softball with the Yellow Primo, but this one didn't hold back! Nice and mellow flavor, earthy, a bit of citrus. The heat hit me quickly but didnt really attack for about 5 or 6 seconds. I thought that it was gonna be immediate when I got the burst of heat, but it took a few seconds for my tastebuds to catch up to the pain. Tongue burn, physical manifestations, and some throat burn. The flavor lasted a bit and was enjoyable.

Overall, great pepper and I am happy to have had a chance to try it!

http://youtu.be/TH03IzSJ3-U

Yowza, that Madballz 7 looks wicked and hellish. Love it. Nice reviews buddy. The Black Naga is an awesome pod! They can get pretty big and the flavor is so awesome. That was the first super hot I tried and I loved the flavor so much that I kept eating more pieces of it...lol I got through 75% of it and that's when it really kicked in; it felt like someone was squeezing the back of my tongue with pliers....haha. You'll love it. I have some growing, if you don't get one before hand, I'll send some out when/if I get some poddage. By far my fav. Pepper so far. Keep up the good reviews broski.

Haha...nice job on both pods! So much for keeping it short! Hahaha, Unless you pause out the middle you can't do a complete review I don't think. Denniz is right, that looked PAINFUL! I have a Rennie ready, and not so looking forward to my first vid of the season this weekend!

Great reviews; I like your composure, taste and burn/picante descriptions. I like the comparisons to other peppers along with excellent shape/descriptions & history information … great job!

MGOLD86 said:

I am still debating about the starting medium.  I typically go with PROMIX, as it worked great for me last time, but I am considering going with something different because as we all know, it is expensive and tough to find.  I know many-a-grower that uses the stuff you can get at any local nursery or most big box stores, and I think it would help on the wallet and the stress of trying to find the exact same stuff each time.  I generally dont do anything in moderation, so I often find myself going with the most expensive stuff, or the 'best' stuff, and sometimes you can be just as successful with a bit more.....restraint....

Anyways, I have rambled enough and need to work in the morning.  SO if anyone has any opinions on knocking a couple seeds off my list and any recommendations on easily accessible seed starting mediums, let me know. 

go FoxFarms

OK, you convinced me I'm not doing any taste tests...LOL

Good job on the video, I knew it was hot when the shoes came off!

That certificate was awesome!!!

And those reviews of the Yellow Primo and Madballz 7....man, you have more guts than me.  Great job!

Side note:  isn't it funny when you speak of SHU 700k-800k as moderate heat?  :)

Awesome review with the madballz. I got two going myself. & Glad to see you back. I know we never have conversed, but i always enjoyed your post/pod reviews before i joined.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
WohOOOO... awesome review matt... i do miss the videos where youre in agony.. =D
Lol, thanks Dennis, I'm glad that I can make you smile with my pain :lol:

3/5King said:
Yowza, that Madballz 7 looks wicked and hellish. Love it. Nice reviews buddy. The Black Naga is an awesome pod! They can get pretty big and the flavor is so awesome. That was the first super hot I tried and I loved the flavor so much that I kept eating more pieces of it...lol I got through 75% of it and that's when it really kicked in; it felt like someone was squeezing the back of my tongue with pliers....haha. You'll love it. I have some growing, if you don't get one before hand, I'll send some out when/if I get some poddage. By far my fav. Pepper so far. Keep up the good reviews broski.

Well I'm glad that it actually tastes good, heat and flavor is always better. Thanks and ill keep my eyes peeled for your awesome harvests to start picking up!

stc3248 said:
Haha...nice job on both pods! So much for keeping it short! Hahaha, Unless you pause out the middle you can't do a complete review I don't think. Denniz is right, that looked PAINFUL! I have a Rennie ready, and not so looking forward to my first vid of the season this weekend!

Lol, yea, I kinda just threw the whole keep it short idea out the window. I'm looking forward to your Rennie review, cool looking pepper.

WalkGood said:
Great reviews; I like your composure, taste and burn/picante descriptions. I like the comparisons to other peppers along with excellent shape/descriptions & history information … great job!

Thanks! I try to do a bit of research first so I have something to talk about, but sometimes the heat really messes up my brain!

thismembername said:
go FoxFarms

I gave definitely considered it, but I have to drive a few hours for it and it can be super expensive for hundreds of pot ups. Thanks for the recommendation though, I haven't completely ruled it out.

Devv said:
OK, you convinced me I'm not doing any taste tests...LOL
 Good job on the video, I knew it was hot when the shoes came off!

I now judge my reviews by whether or not I get stomach pain. I'll take the burn all day every day, but stomach pain will make me wanna quit!

DocNrock said:
That certificate was awesome!!!

And those reviews of the Yellow Primo and Madballz 7....man, you have more guts than me.  Great job!

Side note:  isn't it funny when you speak of SHU 700k-800k as moderate heat?  :)

Yea, those who get burned by jalapeños probably think I am friggen crazy!

GA Growhead said:
Awesome review with the madballz. I got two going myself. & Glad to see you back. I know we never have conversed, but i always enjoyed your post/pod reviews before i joined.
Thanks for stopping in! I'm glad you have enjoyed the videos.
romy6 said:
Great review brother Mat. :hot:  So hot it knocked your shoes right off :rofl:
He'll yea, shoes came OFF!

Awesome job on the Madballz review Matt... you know, you really should charge the folks that send you the peppers to taste-test on camera for throwing yourself on the grenade that way! Good on ya for being willing... :mouthonfire:

stickman said:
Awesome job on the Madballz review Matt... you know, you really should charge the folks that send you the peppers to taste-test on camera for throwing yourself on the grenade that way! Good on ya for being willing... :mouthonfire:

Thanks!  Yea, if I could finagle it that may be an option!! 

Well, I walked through the garden today and I was super excited of what I saw.  I bet you would never guess......

NAGA MORICH POD!!  :party:  these plants are small, but have had flowers since I pulled them out of the box.  Come to think of it, the Naga Morich I grew last year was a pretty small but super productive plant.  I would be more than happy to have a repeat.

Trinidad Scorpion looking happy and tall

Bhut Jolokia Red is a pretty good looking plant.  Green and happy.

The Assams have been looking awesome since the beginning.  Got some ants though...not to thrilled about it. 

BJ Yellow Flower

Douglah is starting to flower.

This Fatalii just didn't quit.  It got topped during shipping and has been putting out a ton of side growth ever since. 

Aji Colorado is spitting out a few pods and a ton of flowers.

And the Safi Red I put in the grow bag is starting to put out some flowers.

Could I get a buuump??

Thanks man!

Some of the guys out front.  I have had some issues keepin some of those little ones alive.  I think that the heat has really been more than I thought.  Some of the little ones couldn't stand the heat (so they were thrown out tha damn kitchen!)  Good news is it isn't really that big of a deal.  I am just practicing.  

Brain Strain, Savannah, and 2 REAPERS!

A few more

And a parting shot...OF THE GARDEN!!

Video is uploading now, so hopefully ill get it up in the morning.  

Nice Matt... It looks like some of the tomatoes in the back row are growing pretty quickly too! Do you have room to plant cilantro? Then you'd only need sweet onions and/or garlic to make your own salsa!

Back