• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

The powder looks awesome, Matt.  I'll second that it is incredible how a large volume of pods dries and powders into so little.  But man, that little goes a long way.  :)

Plants are looking stellar.  It is obvious you are taking great care of them.  They'll be podded up in no time. 

I'll leave the zombie apocalyps and choice of weaponry to those who know guns better than me.  ;)

Awww Shit Bill...you had to bring up the past...

And just because it looks like smoke, doesn't mean it is smoke.....Welcome to the world of white phosphorus.  We used to do something called Shake and Bake where we would shoot a bunch of WP rounds into a fuel farm or other fire hazard heavy area then shoot high explosive rounds to 'bake'.  You've never seen a fire until you seen an entire grid square burning...

Foo Gas was like poor mans Napalm. A mix of Mogas, regular gas to civilians and Tide it made a gel which was loaded into 55 gallon drums and set off by a Clamore or grenade. The barrels were buried at interlocking angles and became essentially a BUG A&$ flamethrower for site protection. I think they'll do the job of first wave, initial contact garden protection

I wonder if adding powdered Reapers to the mix would do anything :cool:

Wow! Impressive stuff there, thanks for sharing.

Beats my zombie defense a Glock .40 and a Cooper Arms in Ruger .204 which does 5 shot dime groups with hand loads...then there's the shotgun..and...

Edit: Plants are kickin'!

Matt, you should be getting some crappy weather today from Andrea, hope you got the Foul Weather gear on the babies and don't get slammed. Florida may have taken a little bit of wind out of her sails for ya.

Thanks everyone, I have been meaning to get in here and post for the past day or so, but I am always getting sidetracked....amazing what a kid does for ya! lol! 

If any of you were around last year for the drama-filled reaper/brainstrain/TSMB threads, you would know that PepperJoe and I have had my fair share of words.  Well he shot me a message recently looking to bury the hatchet and send me over some Reaper seeds so I could decide for myself if it deserves the title.  I appreciate the olive branch and just got an envelope yesterday.  So....seeds went in today. 

Also, when I went to put the seeds into the germ box I got a pleasant surprise! Not 1, but 4 varieties popped their heads up!  7 Savanna (2/2), Billy Boy Jonah (2/2), 7 Pot Brown (1/2), and Madball Z Chocolate (1/2). 

We are having a hell of a time with weather lately....thanks Bill.....:)....so under the lights they went until it passes in the next day or 2. 

This is what I have planted and the current stats.  It is pretty interesting that the PROMIX cups popped 4 varieties and the Dr. Earth have none so far.  Also, I planted like 6 days ago and to get one would be pretty impressive...but FOUR?!?

Anyways, like I mentioned, the weather here is pretty horrendous.  We are getting hit with rain and wind pretty consistently over the past few days.  Andrea is supposed to hit us in the next couple hours but it has been pretty clear (minus shitty wind) over the past 3 or 4 hours.  The babies are doing well, just a bit hit with wind.  Same thing happened last season and I have a freezer full of peppers, so I am hoping for a repeat. 

Alrighty, it is Friday and I only have to work Monday and Tuesday (kinda) and then I am gonna take a few weeks of leave....so that means leave really starts today. And we are gonna have some bad weather so you know what that means.....A TON OF BOOZE SHOPPING. 

:Cheers:

stc3248 said:
Nice score from Pepper Joe! Nothing like a nice single malt to help pass a rainy day!

Oh...and 4 varieties in 6 days!!! You're back in the saddle again brotha! Very nice!!!

I lied.  We now have 7 varieties up...

The newest 3 (Brain Strain, Naga Viper, and 7 Pot Chaguanga)

Here's the funny thing, they ALL are PROMIX and I didn't even soak the 7 Pot Chaguanga...either the seeds were super viable or this soil is the shiznet.  Andrea blew over pretty quickly last night and the only casualty is a super 100 tomato, so no worries I can just pick up another one at Lowes or somewhere.  But it is fairly clear, just a bit cloudy, and no wind so the babies went right outside.  I put them on the porch, which is where they will live until I pot them up.  It gets morning sun until about 11, then it is shaded for the rest of the day.  It will also guard against the rain and crazy weather.  I am really loving this soil! 

Edit: Viper X Purple Bhut just popped up.

Hi Matt,
   That's funny... you just picked my favorite single malt out of the hat, or had you ever tried it before? Don't make the mistake of pouring it over ice. Just iron out the rough spots with a little cool water... just enough to "unlock" the taste and aroma. Cheers!

Man, I don't know why it took me so long to find this. I think I was expecting a different glog name lol. I couldn't see the first (iPhone) video. Is it in the glog? I am really glad you made it back safe and sound. Good to know we have great people like you defending our nation. Thank you. The garden looks great! You just "HAD" to plant more seeds...lol, I love it. Nice weaponry man! Smoking meat...scratch that, smoking anything is gods gift. It's pure bliss. Your foodie shots look delicious! Are you in on this mints TD? Well, now that I know you've got your glog on. I'll have to keep up! Oh and If There was a zombie apocalypse, I'd have to go with a kimber 1911 .45 on one hip, Glock 9mm on the other and a Samurai sword across the back like the chick from walking dead...

stickman said:
Hi Matt,
   That's funny... you just picked my favorite single malt out of the hat, or had you ever tried it before? Don't make the mistake of pouring it over ice. Just iron out the rough spots with a little cool water... just enough to "unlock" the taste and aroma. Cheers!
I'm a first timer.  I am pretty set on the Irish Whiskey bandwagon, but towards the end of my deployment I started to get a bit more interested in Scotch Whisky.  I started watching this dude on YouTube (Ralphy) and he recommended this one for a start.  I just had a glass and it has a great taste and i really enjoyed it.  I got a lot of fruit on the nose and heavy raisins on the taste.  I opened it up a tiny bit with a spot of water, and it tasted great.  Im definitely sold.  On another note the wife and I were having a discussion on terrorism tonight over dinner and she decided she wants to move to Scotland....I agreed. :)

Silver_Surfer said:
And another one discovers Pro Mix. :)

Don't get too wasted; gotta keep ahead of all of those weeds Andrea brought ya. :D
I have been a fan of ProMix for a while, it worked great for me last go around.  But this was a different type than I have previously used and it has definitely convinced me that it will be my 'goto' soil for seasons to come.  I mean, at the end of the day I have 13/36 up in 6 days from planting.  Zero from the Dr. Earth. 

And I like to think of myself as a 'professional' drinker, so that shouldn't be a problem ;)

3/5King said:
Man, I don't know why it took me so long to find this. I think I was expecting a different glog name lol. I couldn't see the first (iPhone) video. Is it in the glog? I am really glad you made it back safe and sound. Good to know we have great people like you defending our nation. Thank you. The garden looks great! You just "HAD" to plant more seeds...lol, I love it. Nice weaponry man! Smoking meat...scratch that, smoking anything is gods gift. It's pure bliss. Your foodie shots look delicious! Are you in on this mints TD? Well, now that I know you've got your glog on. I'll have to keep up! Oh and If There was a zombie apocalypse, I'd have to go with a kimber 1911 .45 on one hip, Glock 9mm on the other and a Samurai sword across the back like the chick from walking dead...
Yea, the video is posted up in the beginning, but it is also on my channel.  I am not a fan of the iphone video (mostly editing issues), but it was an inpromptu video :)  Yea, I really wanted to practice for next year because last season was such a disaster towards the beginning.  I figured, what the hell.  Thanks for the compliments, but I am still just an amateur on the smoker.  I have pork down pretty well, but I think it is time to move on to some other, more difficult meats.  I really wanna go for a full brisket and do some sammys and burnt ends.  I am not in on this TD, It just takes so much time and right now I barely have enough time for the little stuff.  My kid is pretty active, so right now I am just catching up on the missed time.  I am planning on jumping in at some point in the next few months, just gotta get my game back up!  And I love my Kimber.  I have a Custom II that we did on our last deployment, and I am waiting for my next one to come in.  I organized another group buy from the company and had them build us a custom pistol on the Custom II frame.  BUT....I had them put a rail on it and paint it in their Kim-Pro tan!  Gonna be sick.  Stay tuned for pics, it should be in by the end of July.

Devv said:
Glad to see your babies a popping!
Thanks, I am super surprised that they started to pop this early! 

DocNrock said:
I was like, Oban.....and my wife was like, Hey that's in Scotland!!  (Read a few comments above, the terrorist convo-spurred were moving discussion). 

Well, like I mentioned, I have a few others pop up today.  This ProMix is the badass, and ill probably do a follow up to the review video at some point in the next few days.  I have A TON of weeding to do tomorrow after the storm, and I am probably gonna put in some time in the garden over the next week.  I have to lay the dripline and need to figure out a more secure way to tie up these bad boys. 

:Cheers:

Alrighty, another week down and everything still alive!  We seemed to have weathered the storm pretty well, and as SS mentioned above, I had some weeding to do....  I didn't take any photos, but I did take a video.  The weather took a casualty or two, but it is ok, I can just pick up another plant at the local nursery.
Also, everything is just truckin along with the starts.  I had my first Dr Earth seed pop today, a 7 Pot Brown, but it had a helmet on it.  That is the 3rd out of the lot.  I was able to successfully Dr Who the others off, so hopefully my creepily awesome touch will be able to surgery off this one!
Count so far:

Back