• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Opinions on my first hot sauce

I'm waiting for my Trinidad Scoropions to rippen before I attempt my first hot sauace. I'd like your opinion on the qauntities and the PH of the recipe (I don't have a PH meter) and also the ingredients.

I'm going for a thick smokey garlic sauce with medium heat (jalapeno heat level). I also don't want it to taste too vinegary.

lime juice 1 cup
Garlic 3 cloves
TrinScorps 3 deseeded and deveined
Carrot 1 peeled
Roma Tomato 1 peeled and deseeded
Cider Vinegar 1 TBSP
Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
Water 1/2 cup

I'm going to slice all the vegatables and smoke them for at least an hr. Then pure them and boil the sauce for 30 min.

Let me know what you think!! Thanks.

Coupla items-
1.The acidity will come from the vinegar mostly,other palatable sources are pine apple puree or 100% pineapple juice(not syrup), orange juice(frozen concentrate works)etc.

2.There is NO fire in the seeds at all.

3.I would suggest adding some mild peppers that you smoke first(you can even smoke dried deseeded ancho pods and puree them), then after after you get the taste you want add the scorps one at a time tillits right...
4.Keep track of the process on paper .....taste....amend as necessary!!!
Down the hatch!
cheers -
DJ

Thanks for the input RM. I think I was going overboard on the lime juice b/c I don't have a PH meter and I wanted to make sure it's safe. I'll check out home depot for the testers. How much honey would you recommend for that amount of sauce? I'm not a fan of sweet sauces. I'd really like the smoke and garlic to shine through. I may just make some tonight!!
What's the big deal about pH if you're making one bottle of sauce for the fridge? Do you measure the pH of all the sauces you cook for dinner, etc? No.

I think he was just trying to keep it all safe after all he read on the sauce threads where most of us are making more than 1 bottle. I tend to emphasize the point of ph when talking to new sauce makers so that they learn from the start what they should be watching for then when they get to the point of making more than the 1 bottle it's no worries because the have been doing it the safe way from the get go.

For one bottle of sauce though your right not as important, make it and slip it into the fridge and enjoy.

Cheers,
RM

Below are some pics I took of the sauce. It has a VERY smokey flavor but isn't quite the consistency I wanted. I wanted like a Franks consistency, this is a little more chunky for my liking. I'm guessing I need to use a blender and not a food processor.

2011-08-06_09-17-48_802.jpg

2011-08-06_09-18-38_641.jpg

2011-08-06_09-51-18_369.jpg

2011-08-06_10-36-49_66.jpg

2011-08-06_11-04-09_178.jpg

2011-08-06_12-53-46_632.jpg

I think he was just trying to keep it all safe after all he read on the sauce threads where most of us are making more than 1 bottle. I tend to emphasize the point of ph when talking to new sauce makers so that they learn from the start what they should be watching for then when they get to the point of making more than the 1 bottle it's no worries because the have been doing it the safe way from the get go.

For one bottle of sauce though your right not as important, make it and slip it into the fridge and enjoy.

Cheers,
RM
My point is it is safe, just one bottle for your own use will be refrigerated. You don't measure the pH of pasta sauce when you make it for your own use, why hot sauce? It can alter the flavor, and he is not talking about mass-production, storage, shipping, etc. I mean he was talking about dumping a cup of lime juice in there for just that reason. Don't sweat it! :)

Nail the flavor first! If you ever produce it figure it out then, because it will take a little work tinkering with flavor/pH etc.

Below are some pics I took of the sauce. It has a VERY smokey flavor but isn't quite the consistency I wanted. I wanted like a Franks consistency, this is a little more chunky for my liking. I'm guessing I need to use a blender and not a food processor.

You could try adding an additional blending into the process and see if it help to grt the consistency you want it would be a boil, blend, simmer 45 minutes or till you reach the consistency you want then blend it again.

Back