• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Optimum Capsicum Seed Germination Temperatures

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I have said that 86F was the absolute optimum germination temperature for my peppers. As it turns out, research says I am partially correct.

The below referenced articles/information indicates an optimum temperature for Capsicum (mostly annuums) seed germination occurs between 20 and 30C (68 to 86F)

http://www.imok.ufl.edu/veghort/docs/trans_temp.pdf

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/research/horticulture/CTFRep2.pdf

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1061/

http://www.paramount-seeds.com/Paramountonline/pepper_growing.htm

I continued to browse/read about 20 different information sources that were developed by college research or extension services and the overall average germination temperature range cited by these different references is 20-30C (68-86F).

I lowered the temperature in my germinator as a result of todays research and the temperature now stands at 28C (~82F).

Does anyone know of any scholarly research that has been done on the chinense varieties such as Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia, etc?

It would be interesting to see if there are optimum germination temperature variations between species.

Thoughts?

Very cool. The heating mat i bought claims to range from about 71-80something F. Sounds like i'll be right on the money. One night into it and i already noticed new sprouts popping up.

AJ,

I think that there are some basic rules of thumb like that range you quoted, but I think species to species you would find more specific ranges work best.

I only say this because I recalled reading that Bhut Jolokia seeds/plants like temperatures between 80 and 90 degrees. I think a temperatureure of 68 would not give you the best results, or no results depending on how sensitive the plant is. They are Indian after all...

here is a link and a quote.

-Bhut Jolokia require soil temperatures to be between 80 and 90 degrees F for proper germination. You may need to supply bottom heat with the aid of a propagation mat.

-Soil must be kept moderately moist, never being allowed to completely dry out and never allowed to become soggy. This will destroy the embryo in the seed and they will not germinate.

-The Bhut Jolokia can take up to 36 days just to germinate and have a very long growing period, up to 160 days before harvest.

-The Bhut Jolokia is extremely hard to grow and we do not recommend it for the novice grower/gardener. We have a very low supply of seed and cannot replace seed packets of this particular variety.

chile pepper institute

28C is best, like I said many times before. especially for Chinenses, as others (like Annuums) tend to be more "flexible" in terms of germination temperature.

Omri said:
28C is best, like I said many times before. especially for Chinenses, as others (like Annuums) tend to be more "flexible" in terms of germination temperature.

what are Bhuts exactly ? Chinenses ?

do you think 4 degrees over 28c is still ok ?...

Bhuts do like it at 28C. not exactly from personal experience, but someone here once mentioned a high percentage successful germination of Bhuts at about 41C. I myself had quite successful attempts at around 35C~.

awesome, im hitting 33 and have been trying to cool it down a little...

ill just let it go at that temp... sweeeet !

I have four seedlings of Bhut jolokia sprouted in soil at 22°C. The one test seed in the incubator at 30°C doesn't do anything.

Edit: Is there any hint how to germinate pubescens varieties? I planted four seeds each of Rocoto red and Rocoto canario weeks ago and I have one seedling of the canario and one nice plant of the red. But the other seeds let me wait. I also tried two seeds each in the incubator without any germination.

Armadillo said:
I have four seedlings of Bhut jolokia sprouted in soil at 22°C. The one test seed in the incubator at 30°C doesn't do anything.

hrmm. Could it be a bad seed? That is a little surprising considering the climate of northern India is pretty hot.

I am just thinking out loud, I never tried to grow one. I just ordered seeds, but I doubt I will be able to gather any good data like you can by using an incubator. BTW Armadillo, I think I am going to Germany for a week or so this summer. Any recomendations for 'must see' stuff?

Wild Man Matt said:
BTW Armadillo, I think I am going to Germany for a week or so this summer. Any recomendations for 'must see' stuff?

First of all don't make the same "Europe in six days"-mistake a lot of overseas people make. Germany is small compared to the US but still it's more than 1000 km from one end to the other and 80 million people so too much to see it all in a few days. Where do you intend to start? Is it a business trip or private vacation?

Interesting. You guys are too advanced for me. I germinated all of my seeds last year at room temperature in my dorm. I had 100% germination....including the nagas...although some took a few weeks to germinate (I chalked it up to planting the seeds too deep). I used jiffy pellets in the cases they come in. Maybe I was just lucky. I have to keep it low-budget here, and I hope to have close to the same germination rate.
Of course....in my dorm room, my heater is finicky....it's all or nothing, so my room temp is probably around 78F.

Back