• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Orange Habanero Review

Coup said:

I actually have a bunch of SB7Js and MOA SB's growing under LEDs right now. :D
Nice!

In the last 2 months I transplanted the following peppers:
Hot Portugal Pepper
Jalapeno Purple Pepper
Aji Amarillo 
Mulato Isleno
Negro de Valle
Gold Spike Pepper
Rocotillo (chinese not pub)
Fresno
Aji Umba
Serrano Huasteco
Aji Dulce 1
Murupi Amarela
Farmers Jalapeno
Thai Pepper Purple
Large Red Thick Cayenne Pepper
Datil Pepper
Aji Delight
Aji Mango
Cumra Cherry
Aji Peruvian
Hot Tomato
Guatamalen Orange Rocoto
Sulu Adana
Aji Cereza
Aji Melocoton
Mini Rocoto
Stuffing Scotch Bonner
Yalova Charleston
San Isidro Rocoto
Karaman
Aji Calabaza
Aji Lemon Drop
Granada Seasoning Pepper.

Currenly growing but not yet ripe (Transplanted in early January) I got
Jalapeno Orange
Carolina Reaper
Mucho Nacho Pepper
Condors Beak
White Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Doughlah 
Numex Suave Orange
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga chocolate
Scotch Bonnet Haiti Red
Santa Fe Grand

Its going to be a very hot summer.

Maligator said:
Quite the grow list there Tardis!

I'm a bit envious of your long grow season & better weather ;)
In the winter they are only getting shade, but the temps stay above 60F.  Not sure if I should leave them as they are when their fruiting stops, or cut them down to regrow or if they'll die without direct sun.

Tardis said:
In the winter they are only getting shade, but the temps stay above 60F.  Not sure if I should leave them as they are when their fruiting stops, or cut them down to regrow or if they'll die without direct sun.
Cool and wet (ie.: overwatered) plants are vulnerable to a few diseases -- mostly, but not exclusively, root-rots of several types.

The main reason hobbyist gardeners in more temperate climates cut back plants for overwintering is to make them small enough to fit indoors. The cut wounds can be another likely infection site for opportunistic pathogens, but it is a necessary risk for some of us.
The natural life cycle and growth habit of peppers is that of a perennial shrub, albeit of somewhat fragile and soft-wooded structure.

A pinned thread in the Growing forum by Omri gives lots of data on light requirements... i think you'll find that they get enough light in your garden. If, by Spring, they're a bit leggy, you can prune out the lanky branches for tidiness's sake -- since the cut wounds are less likely to develop infection in those more favorable temperatures.
Actually, in favorable climates like yours, i understand that Tepins and most Capsicum pubescens seem to benefit from partial shade.

Other growers, from Hawaii -- and Florida or California -- could give you better advice. Most of what i'm telling you is based on what i've learned from others on this forum.
Prefessional growers from Florida -- Wicked Mike, for example -- could probably give you input based on personal experience.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem... i think you're living in Pepper Heaven, myself !!

mikeg said:
Cool and wet (ie.: overwatered) plants are vulnerable to a few diseases -- mostly, but not exclusively, root-rots of several types.

The main reason hobbyist gardeners in more temperate climates cut back plants for overwintering is to make them small enough to fit indoors. The cut wounds can be another likely infection site for opportunistic pathogens, but it is a necessary risk for some of us.
The natural life cycle and growth habit of peppers is that of a perennial shrub, albeit of somewhat fragile and soft-wooded structure.

A pinned thread in the Growing forum by Omri gives lots of data on light requirements... i think you'll find that they get enough light in your garden. If, by Spring, they're a bit leggy, you can prune out the lanky branches for tidiness's sake -- since the cut wounds are less likely to develop infection in those more favorable temperatures.
Actually, in favorable climates like yours, i understand that Tepins and most Capsicum pubescens seem to benefit from partial shade.

Other growers, from Hawaii -- and Florida or California -- could give you better advice. Most of what i'm telling you is based on what i've learned from others on this forum.
Prefessional growers from Florida -- Wicked Mike, for example -- could probably give you input based on personal experience.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem... i think you're living in Pepper Heaven, myself !!
Thank you great response!!!

mikeg said:

Good info. One of the things that I think often gets overlooked when we talk about pruning is the risk of infection. Dipping your snips in rubbing alcohol between plants is always a good idea, for example.

mikeg said:
I remember once eating a habanero. Then, while swallowing it, i coughed -- and somehow cough/sneezed my sinuses full of habanero juice and pulp !!! I made the strangest sounds for a while... ouch.

Somehow, this review brings back that memory.
HAHAHAHAHA! I thought I was the only one this had happened to!

Back